“Would not stay here again”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was my 6th trip tomWhistler and I usually stay at the Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre but could not get in because of Ironman Canada being on. I was looking forward to staying at the Westin but after staying there I would not go back again. I arrived the night of my birthday and there was no recognition of it even though I had put it in the booking request. I was really disappointed in the hotel. The one bedroom suite I got was much smaller in size than the same one at the Pan Pacific Village Centre. The bedroom only just had enough room for the bed. The wood panelling in the kitchen and bathroom definitely need an update. The room the breakfast was served in was nice but again the tables really need to be stripped back and re varnished. The pool area had towels everywhere so obviously no one had been down for ours to clean it up. The prices they charge for everything is way over the top. On requesting wake up calls the greeting from the staff answering the phone and the staff serving in the breakfast left a lot to be desired compared to other 5 star hotels I stay at during my trip. I definitely would not stay there again. I will look elsewhere if I can't stay at the Pan Pacific Village Centre again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sydney85
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Sydney85,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies, we clearly did not put our best foot forward during your stay. This is not the level of service we are known for, and I would like to make it right. Please email me at lisa.mccormick@westinwhistler.com on your next visit to Whistler, and I will personally assist with the details of your stay.

Lisa McCormick
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for 8 days on honeymoon last December - a great hotel and location.

As we were on honeymoon they upgraded us to a massive top floor room, amazing. The facilities in the hotel (poools outside and hot tubs) are all great.

The location is right beside the lifts, restaurants and bars too.

Room Tip: Avoid breakfast though - way over priced!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteveC2000
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My young travelers, husband and I had the opportunity to enjoy the Labour-Day weekend at the Whistler Westin. The location is perfect - right near the heart of Whistler Village but just out of the pulse so not to hear too much noise. My 8 & 7 year old travelers thought it was pretty cool that our two-bedroom suite looked out to see the gondola going up and down whereas my husband and I were so pleased for the trees, shrubbery and brick work to ensure privacy; additionally, the chairs on the patio was a nice touch.

The hotel itself is nice and has all of the amenities that one could possibly need. I did not take the opportunity to visit this spa but the pool area was fantastic and my boys loved that the pool was partially in/out side. Unlike other posts, we did not have a difficult time finding chairs but we did not venture to the pool during the day (we were out enjoying the sights of Whistler) rather we went around 7:30pm which seemed a perfect time to wear my boys out. As well, I found that the indoor pool area was so relaxing with lots of wicker chairs and couches with a spa like atmosphere ~ actually, part of the spa overlooks the pool area.

For the most part the customer service was excellent however, like other posts, I found the front desk lady unfriendly and felt as if we were bothering or interrupting her by checking in for our room ~ it certainly was not a warm feeling and initially made me feel a bit uneasy; it is mainly my reason for reviewing the entire experience as "Very Good" instead of "Excellent." I must say that was not the case for most of the other service that we received prior to and over the weekend.

A couple days prior to our arrival I emailed the Westin to find out information about the gluten-free options that they offer as my young travelers both have Celiac Disease. I was impressed to receive a prompt, thorough email response from Teresa Watson, Assistant F&B Outlets Manager. I must say that the Westin Whistler has a large variety of gluten free items and accommodates the GF diet with ease (mainly); it was be of this that we ate at the Westin for a majority of the entire weekend. We had the opportunity to enjoy a variety of dining experiences at the Westin: The Aubergine Grille for one breakfast and the amazing Lobster theme night for diner Friday; the FireRock Lounge for dinner Saturday, as well as room service Sunday morning. Our server, Alex N., at the Aubergine Grille was truly lovely and amazing with our boys and the the Lobster Theme night was fantastic. Hannah, our server at the FireRock Lounge, was simply exceptional and truly made our last evening a memorable experience.

Despite the front reception, we will be going back to this hotel very soon and look forward to doing so.

Room Tip: Be sure to bring your own I-phone charger as this Westin does not have one in the suites like other...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GroveMom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stay there during Crankworx and we never have any problems. It is close to most things and quiet enough to actually sleep at night. This visit, we had to ask for the Westin Kids package, but they happily gave them to our kids. Check in was quick and our room was actually ready late morning when we arrived. Staff are great and the suite was really good. The one bedroom is the way to go if you need space. We find the Junior suite a bit cramped. The breakfast buffet is also good, albeit at Whistler prices.

Room Tip: We think west tower is quieter than east tower, but both are quite quiet. Higher is better, of cours...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear gor3don,

Thank you for staying with us! I hope you had an excellent time at Crankworx, it was certainly a spectacle this year!

Stay well,
Lisa McCormick
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location next to the lifts - kitchen in the rooms really helps - you can buy stuff at the village grocery store to keep in the refrigerator. Rooms kinda small and parking is a joke (way overpriced) nice sized pool and fitness area. I would stay here again if I can get a bigger room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were booked in a studio room with a full kitchen, upon arrival, they upgraded us to a 'nicer' viewing room - as it was my birthday, and the room had 30 foot ceilings (or there about), it was very nice.

We experienced great service by the staff, had no issues during our stay, the hotel was lovely inside, and had great amenities. We stayed for four nights, and bought our own groceries, cooked the entire time, and had the luxury of being right in the village.

I would definitely stay here again - wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hotel, first class all the way, excellent staff, restaurant, and central to all Whistler. Platinum service, excellent check in, and rooms spacious and very clean. A must stay for everyone. Be sure if available to ask for mountain view room, and higher floors if possible.

Room Tip: View of the mountain if available.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business