“Great Whistler property.”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have visited Whistler many times over the past 15 years so are very familiar with the hotels and area. When I was searching for a last minute night away in Whistler, I initially used Kayak.com to compare rates. The Westin was coming up for a fairly reasonable rate (much more reasonable than what I would normally see) so we thought it would be a great chance to try out a higher end hotel in the village. After checking the price on Kayak.com ($184), I went to compare the Westin's website and there was a difference in the rate for the same room ($249). I called the property directly to inquire if I was to book the Kayak.com room, would I be getting something different or would I be paying some sort of "resort fee" that I wasn't aware of. The booking agent was very professional and explained to me the room I was interested was just put on sale for $149. I was told that I should follow their page on Facebook so I could be made aware of the sales and I appreciated that. I have since seen this coming weekend go on sale again so now that I am aware, I will def. make use of the occasions when this happens.

Upon check-in we were greeted warmly by the bellman and the front desk. The front desk asked me if I was a SPG rewards member and I am not so they signed me up and it was done instantly. We chose to self-park for $30 (ugh - I was well aware of the parking rates prior to our stay, I would have prob. freaked out if I wouldn't have known that in advance - the only reason I did know was the multiple mentions of it on Trip Advisor) Valet was only $4 more but we didn't have that much stuff as we were only there for the night. We were informed upon check-in that the Westin's pool was closed for refreshing but they offered us use of the hot tubs or use of the pool at the next door Sheraton hotel and we did make use of it because the weather was amazing!!

The village view room was lovely and clean, slightly smaller than I expected but still adequate room for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids). I loved the fact there was a small patio with nice wicker chairs and a small table. My kids really wanted the Swedish Berries from the minibar but for $4, we just walked into the village and bought some treats at IGA. The beds were very comfy and the sofa bed was lovely too (we often stay in rooms with sofa beds being we have 2 kids and most of the time they suck but this one was really lovely).

We did ski but did not make use of the ski valet. I felt that for the $8 pp, we could carry out skiis the short distance. Skiis and poles are not allowed in the rooms, which I can appreciate so we just left them in our truck to avoid the valet cost.

We asked for a late-check out and were accomodated because it wasn't very busy which was excellent.

I would most def. recommend this hotel, just be aware of the parking and ski/bike valet charges in advance... having that sneak up on your bill wouldn't be so much fun. Will be watching the Facebook page for sales and will be back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lululadies
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear lululadies,

Thank you for staying with us! We're glad you enjoyed the unseasonably warm spring weather we've had! We truly appreciate your comments, and look forward to connecting with you on Facebook!

Rooms Division Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've been here before and knew the beds were great.
In fact last time we were here we brought our dog and she had a very comfortable bed too.
Very nice, just a wee bit of stains on carpet, otherwise VERY CLEAN !
Only complaint is all the extras, parking extra, safe extra, bike storage extra.
Including things like the safe and the bike or ski storage would go a long way.
Disappointed pool was closed but they did offer the Hilton pool to use.

Room Tip: had a great view on the mountain village side. We had a 1 bedroom and it was a great size
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Westin? The accommodation, service is great! Downstairs lounge is an awesome spot to take in all the tranquility of Whistler. Special treatment from the moment you arrive. Great shopping or window shopping in the hotel building. The rooms offer great comfort and some awesome views! Best of all, golf driving range right across from the hotel entrance?

Room Tip: Amazing value in devine Whistler.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear namkid,

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us! We're delighted to have shared in the special occasion with you. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in a studio last weekend with a great last minute rate.

The location is truly amazing and the rooms are extremely comfortable and modern. And the view and location is amazing!!

The worst part, as most people have mentioned, is that there is an $8 fee per pair of skis and a minimum $30 for self parking. This basically adds a minimum of $50 to each night of your stay. But I do have to admit, the slope-side concierge is very convenient.

The only complaint I would have is that at times the staff can make you feel like a bit of a cattle call, as specially the guys at the front who act as bellhops and valets. I was never really that impressed with how they treated us when we arrived and again when we checked out. It was very impersonal, and fairly unfriendly.

The pool is also a bit discoloured which makes it look quite dirty. Not sure what happened there, but it is something that should be addressed by management asap.

Do make sure to stop by the FireRock Lounge while visiting, it is a great place to relax and have a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with either a mountain view or a golf course view. And be sure to stay on an upper f...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dean & Tarra,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your review! We truly appreciate your comments and are delighted you enjoyed the resort. Please accept my sincere apologies that the service you received from our associates was not up to your expectations. The doormen and valet team often have to work at a fast pace to keep up with the volume of traffic, however that's no excuse for rudeness. Please know that we have also temporarily closed the pool for a thorough cleaning, though the discolouration was not a health concern.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel staff were professional and awesome. From the Valet to check out...everything was perfect! The hotel is next door to the lifts and pubs. Valet ski check-in works perfect. The price was totally resonable for the high level of service. I didn't get a chance to check out the spa and restaurants but I've heard they are spectacular.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the top notch
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Bellevue, Washington, USA
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Thanks for the last minute deal on the Whistler booking site!
We saved $ 100.- on a studio that way.
Thanks for the upgrade when we checked in - we ended up with a one-bedroom.
This is why we come back to The Westin, always feel good there.
The ski locker adds up though, and then we eded up parking at the Conference Center, saving $20.- /day!
See you next year :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I wanted to get away to Whistler, had not been skiing yet this year, and with my daughter's mid terms coming up wanted her to have some fun before the crunch. Booked last moment on the WhistlerBlackcomb site & got a screaming good deal for a night at the Westin.

Saturday was in the midst of the World Board & Ski event - the village was hopping with lots to do. Live music, Air jumps etc. Sunday the sun came out & it was half price for lift tickets!
Had an awesome day on the mountain before heading home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Highkicks,

Thank you for staying with us! A pre-midterm trip sounds like an excellent way for the family to get together and escape to Whistler. It sounds like you enjoyed the perfect weekend. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps for summer vacation!