“Great Hotel, But a Bit Pricey and Not Always That Friendly”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Hotel, But a Bit Pricey and Not Always That Friendly”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in a studio last weekend with a great last minute rate.

The location is truly amazing and the rooms are extremely comfortable and modern. And the view and location is amazing!!

The worst part, as most people have mentioned, is that there is an $8 fee per pair of skis and a minimum $30 for self parking. This basically adds a minimum of $50 to each night of your stay. But I do have to admit, the slope-side concierge is very convenient.

The only complaint I would have is that at times the staff can make you feel like a bit of a cattle call, as specially the guys at the front who act as bellhops and valets. I was never really that impressed with how they treated us when we arrived and again when we checked out. It was very impersonal, and fairly unfriendly.

The pool is also a bit discoloured which makes it look quite dirty. Not sure what happened there, but it is something that should be addressed by management asap.

Do make sure to stop by the FireRock Lounge while visiting, it is a great place to relax and have a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with either a mountain view or a golf course view. And be sure to stay on an upper f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Dean & Tarra,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your review! We truly appreciate your comments and are delighted you enjoyed the resort. Please accept my sincere apologies that the service you received from our associates was not up to your expectations. The doormen and valet team often have to work at a fast pace to keep up with the volume of traffic, however that's no excuse for rudeness. Please know that we have also temporarily closed the pool for a thorough cleaning, though the discolouration was not a health concern.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!

Rooms Division Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Korean first
vancouver
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel staff were professional and awesome. From the Valet to check out...everything was perfect! The hotel is next door to the lifts and pubs. Valet ski check-in works perfect. The price was totally resonable for the high level of service. I didn't get a chance to check out the spa and restaurants but I've heard they are spectacular.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the top notch
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Thanks for the last minute deal on the Whistler booking site!
We saved $ 100.- on a studio that way.
Thanks for the upgrade when we checked in - we ended up with a one-bedroom.
This is why we come back to The Westin, always feel good there.
The ski locker adds up though, and then we eded up parking at the Conference Center, saving $20.- /day!
See you next year :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Vancouver
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I wanted to get away to Whistler, had not been skiing yet this year, and with my daughter's mid terms coming up wanted her to have some fun before the crunch. Booked last moment on the WhistlerBlackcomb site & got a screaming good deal for a night at the Westin.

Saturday was in the midst of the World Board & Ski event - the village was hopping with lots to do. Live music, Air jumps etc. Sunday the sun came out & it was half price for lift tickets!
Had an awesome day on the mountain before heading home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Highkicks,

Thank you for staying with us! A pre-midterm trip sounds like an excellent way for the family to get together and escape to Whistler. It sounds like you enjoyed the perfect weekend. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps for summer vacation!

Boston, MA
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Westin quality and service - fruit infused water in the large lobby, outdoor pool and hot tub, amazing views, fantastic location right in Whistler village - 5 min walk to lifts. Clean, large room. Slipper, robes, and the most comfy bed. I was on the pullout couch and just as comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had two separate issues with the service at the Westin.

1. When we checked in we were given a lot of useful information. One item she didn't tell us was that the ski concierge would be $8.00 / per person per day. When we checked out we were charged $24.00/ day. When I questioned this charge she said there were signs all over noting the charge. Why wouldn't she just tell us that when we checked in along with all the other info she told us. Also there was only two of us so I don't know why it wasn't $14.00. / day. After a lot of discussion she finally reversed the charges.

Also we actually carried our skis right back to the ski drop at the hotel so that wasn't a concierge service in my eyes. Only the last day were they at the base of the whistler gondola to collect our skis!

2. We had to stay an extra night due to flight changes due to weather. We went out for the morning and upon returning to our room the card would not work. We went to the concierge on the 2nd floor to request our card be reactivated. She informed us that we should go to the front desk and get new cards. I said that she should be doing this for us as a concierge and as it was their error. Her attitude was very poor. After I explained to her how she should say to us please have a seat and I will be back in a few minutes and we are sorry for your inconvenience she finally did it.

Is it so hard to have good customer service. It doesn't take a lot!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and please accept our sincere apologies for the lapses in service you experienced during your stay. We strive to create a welcoming environment where every interaction with an associate is special and memorable. We did not achieve this with you, and for that we apologize. We hope you'll be back to visit us, and I'd like to invite you to contact me at andrew.misquitta@westinwhistler.com so that I can personally assist with the arrangements of your stay.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is one of a handful of properties that are located very close to the gondolas in Whistler Village. The rooms are quite nice; I was worried by some of the reviews that I'd seen that indicated that the rooms were a little dated but they didn't really feel that way to me. Ours had a small kitchenette and fireplace, which was a very nice touch.

The ski concierge wasn't what I expected. When I think of a ski concierge I imagine that I don't have to walk anywhere in my boots - just slip them on and start skiing. You still have to walk a few minutes in your boots carrying your skis. Other places that I've stayed have offered this service for free, but unfortunately here it's an $8 charge. I never saw the concierge at the base of the mountain so I just bypassed this service altogether, taking my gear to the room and avoiding the charge.

My main issue with this hotel is the hot tub. The hot tub experience is a very important element of a ski trip since I only go once a year. There where a lot of kids at the hot tub and a line of folks waiting to get in. We took one look at the scene and turned right around. The good news (if you don't mind spending some extra $$) is that the hotel offers a shuttle that you can take to the Scandinave Spa, which is one of the coolest experiences I've had traveling. Check it out on trip advisor, but be aware that to just use the spa it's $60 per person. This sounds expensive but it is such a unique experience that I highly recommend trying it at least once. We went twice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple