“Another Great Stay”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed up here last summer and now for a ski weekend with the kids. Great hotel and service was absolutely wonderful. Hotel even accomodated side by side room with friends. Valet and front desk staff were wonderful. Pool was a little cool the first day and I guess that they got enough comments and jacked up the temperature overnight. Best place to stay - right in the village by the Whistler lifts.

Room Tip: Given that its in the village the mountainside rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thanks for your review B.M.!

We're glad you've been able to experience the best of Whistler in both the summer and winter. We hope to welcome you back for many more stays!

Rooms Division Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just finished staying at Whistler Westin Resort & Spa Hillside past 7 days/6 nights...myself (45yoM) and my son (16yo)...ski trip, first visit to Whistler.
1) Check-in: helpful, courteous, nice staff, great bell service to bring bags/ski gear to room.
2) Room (deluxe studio, king bed, pull out queen sofa bed): small kitchenette, ill-equipped with utensils (had to call for spoons, forks), difficult cookware to work with (not nonstick, so everything burned to pots daily), no basics provided (salt, pepper), all provided snacks/drinks/beer exorbitantly priced (thank god for close by grocery/liquor store). No laundry in room; had to use floor machines (no big deal except pricey $4/load), and had to pay for each detergent/bounce sheet box used in room (cheap, sleazy). No where near enough drying racks and hooks for ski gear/clothing that would be considered essential for a ski resort!?! Had to improvise with lamps/furniture; not optimal. Nice fireplace, temp control otherwise adequate. Basic internet was fine for our needs; again can upgrade but you'll pay for it...
3) Ski valet service: not allowed skis/boards in room (not enforced?), so had to pay $8/day/ski or board set for valet service (no lockers on site for personal use). Convenient to leave gear with staff at hillside I guess but it would have been no big deal to carry to locker myself...
4) Hot tub/pool: not a big fan of communal (cess) tubs/pools, and loud and raucous with lots of kids at end of ski day; not relaxing at all. Much prefer resorts where we have our own tub on balcony, but this is pipe dreaming I guess. Didn't use gym but looked well equipped. Shower facilities appropriate. Would suggest a separate tub/shower area for adults only.
OVERALL: great location but not essential to be hillside in Whister village as there are many easy walks to get to lift bases. Room was above average, but it's the little things that are missing or you have to pay large extras for that bug me a lot, esp with a chain with the reputation of the Westin...I would consider staying here again, but with eyes wide open as to what extras I'll have to be paying for...If I'm paying higher accomodation prices for proximity, I would expect to have more of the little things included; it's these extra little charges that I feel chiselled for that bug me...

Room Tip: Ask all the detailed questions about what exactly is included and what extras you have to pay for...
1  Thank suneelupadhye

Dear Sunee,

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for sharing such a detailed review. We're glad to see that overall you and your son enjoyed your stay, though we appreciate you sharing your honest feedback and constructive criticism. We take care to price ourselves competitively with other hotels in Whistler, and we want to ensure our guests feel value with the level of service, location and amenities we offer. We truly hope you'll choose us agin on your next Whistler visit, thank you.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My business partner and I came up for a weekend in order to facilitate some business planning. We chose this hotel because of the spa, location and all of the amenities. Our expectations were exceeded in every category. Actually, our room was complimentary upgraded for no reason into a much larger suite with a balcony. The bed is to die for and the room was functional, luxurious and efficient for whichever purpose/season of the year. My favorite aspect of the resort is the lounge area by the pool, with wine and beverage/food service. I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, we got one!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I reviewed this hotel a few years ago. It's still a great hotel and the room was nice but a bit snug for a family of four (expected, this was the room we booked). One great update...FREE internet! Finally! My biggest complaint with hotels, hopefully others will follow.
The pool and hot tub were nice, but very crowded between 4-7. I felt that the ski valet was a bit expensive, $8 per ski per day. $32 x 4 is a lot of money, we just left our skis in the car ($30 a night parking). Free valet ski storage if you're renting from the shop in the hotel which is a great benefit. Housekeeping were very friendly!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

So...fundamentally there was nothing wrong with the place but it just didn't do it for me. We booked there on our recent honeymoon and were disappointed from the moment we walked in the door of the room.

Let me give you a little background into why we were disappointed. I worked in Whistler for the 08/09 ski season and this is where my parents stayed when they came to visit. So we booked there due to the location, which admittedly is fantastic, which I believe is only bettered by the Pan Pacific Mountainside and The Fairmont. We also booked due to the fact that the hotel had apparently undergone a recent refurbishment (more on that later).

We booked a 1 bedroom suite (the same as my parents in 08/09) and were kindly upgraded to a mountain view due to our honeymoon. The mountain view however overlooked the driving range and mountains on the other side of the highway and not the ski hills, a disappointment.

Now onto the room. As I said my parents stayed there in 08/09 prior to the redevelopment. Our room which was the same room type as theirs was a HUGE disappointment, ours was tiny compared to theirs, barely enough room for the furniture and with less than 1 metre between the bed and walls on either side in the bedroom. It transpires that the parents had a 1 bedroom corner suite, I am not sure if you have to pay extra for one of these but I did not come across this option during the booking process, so a tip may be to request a corner room as it is tons bigger.

Now onto the renovations that our agent told us about...I did not see any of the supposed $11m upgrade anywhere, not in the room which was dated and with obvious wear and tear. The coffee pot was something you could pick up for $10 at any store and looked like a relic of the 80's. The same goes for the appliances, I don't think any of them have been changed since the hotel opened. So overall the room was small, dated and in obvious need of modernisation.

The room was generally clean and was kept well throughout our stay however there was rice in the microwave upon our arrival (great start to the honeymoon) and we found the alarm clock shoved down the back of one of the bedsides on the second night of our stay. One of the burners also didn't work however, to their credit, this was fixed by the time we returned from the slopes. My concern with this was though, upon investigation as to why it wasn't working, I easily found an exposed wire that had come out of the heating element which had a lot of electrical tape on it. Now I am no sparky, but wires being held on by electrical tape and an exposed wire, that for all I knew could have been live isn't good!

Like I said fundamentally there is nothing wrong but don't expect this place to blow your socks off. The staff are friendly (having worked at a hotel in Whistler it's what should be expected EVERYWHERE) and requests we did have were attended to in a timely fashion expect for when we requested the bell boy to take our luggage down at the end of the stay. We waited 15mins, I got bored of waiting, and fearing we'd miss our connection I took our bags down myself.

The wifi continually dropped out, it seemed like every 5 minutes we were typing in the code and considering I am writing this review from a Hilton bedroom with perfect fast wifi, trust me this will annoy you.

The ski concierge is great but they charge you $8 per set of ski's or snowboard for the privilege of taking your skis the 50m from the base of the hill to storage area. Now considering they do not allow ski equipment (poles/boots being the exception) in the rooms and with no storage area you have no choice but to pay it. Personally I think this is disgraceful for somewhere that costs a pretty penny to stay in.

The pool area was dated and not big enough for the size of the complex but the gym area had nice updated equipment.

The Firerock lounge was cosy and a nice little apres bar.

Overall, we will look elsewhere next time we are in Whistler.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they are a lot bigger.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review, and please accept our congratulations once again on your new marriage. For such a special occasion, I truly regret that we weren't able to make your stay more special and memorable. You've provided us great constructive feedback and points that I will share with our team. I do truly hope you'll give us another chance on your next visit to Whistler. I invite you to contact me at andrew.misquitta@westinwhistler.com so I can personally look after the details of your stay.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Westin is definitely a five star resort located in the heart of Whistler. The staff are extremely courteous and immediately responsive to guests' requests. The location is perfect! It's only a one minute walk to the base of the Whister and Blackcomb gondolas. There are numerous restaurants, shops, and bars located within walking distance. The outdoor hot tub and pool were enjoyed and well appreciated after a day of skiing. The sauna and the eucalyptus-scented steam room were truly luxurious! My favourite part of the Westin was the bedding, it felt like sleeping on a cloud! The mattress was firm and the pillows and duvet were of top quality!

I thought that the price for the parking on site and valet parking was unwarranted ($30+ per day), so I parked my vehicle at the convention centre for $10 per day. The convention centre is approximately a five minute walk from the hotel.

I never ate at the restaurants in the hotel, but I did use the kitchenette in the hotel room to cook breakfast every morning. The kitchenette is well appointed with modern appliances. The small coffee creamers/milks in the fridge were never automatically replenished by the staff, but the staff were extremely quick to bring said items to my room when I called to request them. I even received a call from the hotel staff wondering how I was enjoying my stay, and if there was anything they could do to make my stay more enjoyable. Well done!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our Deluxe Studio room was comfortable with a roomy bathroom , gas fireplace, comfortable king size bed and small galley kitchen. The kitchen was fine for small meal preparation but would not be practical for serving more than two people. The mini refrigerator contains a full size ice maker that takes up a large amount of space so will only hold small boxes and half gallon size milk or juice containers. Place settings of dishes and eating utensils for four were provided. A toaster and coffee maker were available. Complementary coffee, tea, sugar, creamer, salt and pepper were in the room. There was a desk with one chair but no table so meals eaten in the room were eaten sitting on the sofa. The bathroom was huge with a large tub and separate shower. Our room which faced the village was very quiet. The walls seemed well insulated as we did not hear our neighbors except for ski boots in the morning and late afternoon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple