“Getting better... but please sort out your cupboard space!”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Getting better... but please sort out your cupboard space!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our fifth visit to Whistler and our third stay at the Westin. Last year we stayed at the Pan Pacific Mountainside (PPM) which was fine but as we were staying over Christmas I decided it would be nice to have the large lobby atmosphere and better rooms at the Westin.

When we checked it it was nice to be received by someone who seemed professional - the staff at the PPM were friendly but seemed to know diddly squat about anything and just appeared to be gap year students (which they probably were). The Westin lady was very friendly. We had booked a one-bedroom mountain view suite as the person I booked it through at Intrawest (a truly awesome company - if only all call centre staff could learn from these people!) said I could get a mountain view for the same price as a normal one-bed. The check--in lady told us we were being given an SPG preferred room, which was nice considering our SPG membership has lapsed.

The room itself was great - the best we've had in Whistler, with a lovely large lounge and a good-sized bedroom with a king sized bed (even though they say the one-bedroom suites only have queen size) which was as 'heavenly' as they claim. As we were there over Christmas we needed enough space for Santa to come and fill the kids' stockings without waking them, and the room was perfect for this. The view itself was nothing special. I think saying it's a mountain view is stretching it a bit as we were in the West tower, further from the slopes than the East tower, and our main view was of the road and the Gondola building. You could just about see a few skiers coming in on the bottom of Whistler mountain and could see Blackcomb mountain over the rooftops, but the valley views give you equally good views of the mountains on the other side of the valley. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for this view. The room was also a bit noisy as we were by the road where the snowploughs go every morning between about 5 and 6. The Westin has always been very quiet before.

However, my main gripe, and it's one I've had before and mentioned both in comments to the hotel and on trip advisor is that there's not enough cupboard space, or more specifically drawer and shelf space in the suite. There was a cupboard opposite the door for our jackets and which had a shelf above for hats and gloves; there was a big wardrobe in the bedroom but it just had hanging space with a high shelf above and there was a four drawer chest in the bedroom, but there was nothing in the lounge except for the kitchen drawers which had crockery and utensils in. Hey housekeeping people - this is a SKI resort!! People have ski clothes and ordinary clothes - they have a lot of stuff. We need to put it somewhere and you don't give us enough space, so the room ends up permanently untidy with toys and books on every surface. Also why don't you put out a plastic mat to put ski boots on so we don't have to put them on the hall carpet which then gets wet??

I actually asked housekeeping this time if we could have a chest of drawers in the lounge. There was plenty of space - we could have had two extra in there - but for some reason they said it was a fire risk. They did give us two bedside cupboards which were about 20 cm wide which were certainly better than nothing (would have been nice if they could have been dusted down before being delivered) but it was all still a tight squeeze. We stayed at the Pan Pacific last year mainly for the reason that the cupboard space at the Westin is so poor - and despite having smaller rooms the cupboard space at the PPM was much better with two chests of four drawers.

My other main gripe last time was about the poor quality of the housekeeping. I'm pleased to say that this was now better. It's still cursory - a dirty coffee cup was left in the bathroom for three days before being cleared away - but at least we came back every day to find the room had been serviced, and once we had requested the turndown service we got it every night.

My kids used to love the lemon and lime water in the swimming pool area and they've replaced this with a normal water fountain. Such a shame. The pool and hot tub are still as frenziedly busy as ever although the hot tub outside is now so hot that the slightly-too-cool pool temperature is actually quite refreshing. I have no idea why the designers of the hotel put the pool where they did. The Pan Pacific pool and hot tub look over the slopes. The Westin's doesn't realy look over anything very much - such a shame.

The ski concierge service has also got better. The last couple of times we stayed we had lines of up to twenty minutes to collect our skis but despite being there at the busiest time of year the lines were much quicker. We didn't seem to get charged extra for it and it's very handy to be able to drop the skis off at the bottom of the slope rather than carry them to the hotel - even though it's not very far.

It's a hard choice between the PPM and the Westin. If the Westin sorted out it's cupboard space it would be a no-brainer but until they do I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra, especially when the PPM has a much nicer and quieter pool.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a mountain view. The valley view is just as good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rosiefromlondon
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Rosie,

Thank you for returning to stay with us and sharing your review! We're delighted to have welcomed you and your family back again. We appreciate your comments about in-suite storage and apologize that it didn't meet your needs. We have a variety of larger suites that may be a better fit for you, and on your next visit one of our reservations agents would be happy to discuss this with you. We appreciate the feedback about Housekeeping service and will be certain to pass that on to our team. Thank you again for your business Rosie, we hope to see you again soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed in a delux 2 bedroom suite which worked out very well for our situation. The location of the hotel was ideal for skiing on Whistler mountain. The slow internet was disappointing for a hotel of this calibre. The porters were very helpful as was the concierge desk. We had a couple of small problems with the actual faciltiies in the room both of which were dealt with by friendly and helpful engineering staff. We dined at the in house restaurant one night and the staff were great with the kids.
When checking out of the room and checking under the beds to make sure had had not left anything behind it was disappointing to find an empty Nicroette packet - obviously not from our visit. Being a Starwood Preferred Guets member at this hotel did not seemed to get you any benefits but that did not surprise us. At this time of year it would have been nice to have the ski valet included in the room rate considering it is in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear MOB68,

Thank you for sharing your review, we're delighted to have welcomed you and your family over the holidays! We're glad our team was able to go above and beyond to make your stay more memorable. Please accept our apologies for both your WiFi issues and the housekeeping oversight. We will be following up with our teams to address these. We hope to see you again soon!

Vancouver
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Here is what I shared with the Starwood post-stay online survey:

Asked for upgrade (I have Gold status) - we have two small kids. Was told "no upgrades" then found out an hour later we could pay more for room right beside ours that was much bigger. Room we had (819) was too small for two adults and two children. Inconsistent service at restaurant. Staff are mostly friendly but not polished. Awkward moment when the male concierge blew me off when I had a simple question that would have taken 5 seconds to respond to ("where is the shuttle pick up?"). Pool woefully small. Overall, a so-so experience which was surprising because I’ve stayed at Starwood hotels many times and always enjoyed them. My wife and I are in no hurry to return and will try for the Fairmont or Hilton next time, as our first choice. Sorry, Westin, but that’s my honest feedback.

Room Tip: Rooms like 819 are woefully small for a family.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank thirty-something72
Dear thirty-something72,

Thank you for sharing your review and bringing this to our attention. Please accept our apologies for your experience. We truly appreciate your business as an SPG Gold guest and should have been much more accommodating. I would like to discuss your experience further with you. At your convenience please email me at eric.eikeland@westingrandvancouver.com.

Hotel Manage
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Expecting four-star resort qualities, we booked a week (ski package) at the Westin over the Four Seasons or the Fairmont during the Christmas week of 2012. We had a one bedroom suite. While the family room was large and convenient with a pretty gas fireplace, the bedroom was very small with almost no space between the bed and the walls. The bed which supposedly was a queen-size bed - was smaller than a standard queen size.... great for cuddling but a bit small if you are taller than 6'. Noise was also an issue as we could hear the kids screaming in the bedroom next to us. The buffet in the morning was probably the best deal the hotel had to offer with great food and quite a nice selection of cooked eggs, cereals, cheese, smoked salmon, etc...

Our main issue was with the internet. We both are busy New Yorkers having to work on vacation and were relying on the hotel's internet to respond to our work demands. While we chose to upgrade to the daily $9.99 (if i recall the price correctly) wi-fi option, we barely had any signal and when we got the signal, the system ejected us every five minutes. After spending over an hour on the phone with the IT guy, we still had almost no signal. The i-pad and i-phone were the worst. The PCs not as bad. We were told we had to hook up less than 3 computers/phones per room to avoid internet issues.... Despite following all the instructions/advices, we still had no signal most of the time and the internet, when we had, was extremely slow. We tried to hook up to the wifi in the room, lobby, restaurant, bar, etc.... with the same results.... 5 mns of internet at most.... After many complaints to the front desk, we got our own personal internet band assigned to our room... unfortunately it did not change the results. Very poor signal, with many drops. This was very frustrating and each time we complained, we got the same answer: to call the IT desk... I told them that we were on vacation and had no desire to spend hours on the phone with an IT person.... Our last resort was to complain again and again... which resulted in getting us a $25 voucher to use for the desktop computers of the hotels (an equivalent of 25 mns of internet.... whooo whooo) and having them cancelled the wi-fi-daily charge. The starbucks of the village had better internet!

So instead of spending some relaxing vacations skiing, we spent about 2 to 3 hours per day getting frustrated over the internet issues. Extremely disappointing.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline C
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for sharing your review, and please accept our apologies once again for the issues connecting with WiFi during your stay. This is certainly not a relaxing way to spend your Whistler getaway. I regret that our team was not able to solve the problem, but please know that we are continuing to investigate connectivity throughout the entire resort to ensure this does not happen again.

Newport Coast, Ca
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had a nice 4 day stay over Christmas. Got upgraded to a nice King room on the 10th floor - great room, nice vaulted ceilings, awesome bed, fire place. The gym, pool and spa are great. The bar and lounge was very nice.

Wasn't overly thrilled that I had a $25 SPG Certificate that I redeemed from Starwood - and the Front Desk charged 10% to redeem as it was the certificate was in USD... Thought it was ridiculous they treat a certificate from SPG the same way they would treat Foreign Exchange at the front desk. Also, thought Ivan the Front Desk Manager was anything but hospitable. We checked in and our room was available, but we asked be to upgraded and we were.So we decided to wait for the upgraded room. After about 45 minutes of waiting I went and checked if the room was available, it wasn't. Ivan was at the front desk, I asked if he we would get us when the room was available, He agreed. I told him we were just sitting in the lobby (40 yards from front desk and in clear sight) - he didn't do come and get us. We had to check back 2x, the second time the room was available. Another time I was at the Front Desk and one of the Front Desk Agents were helping me Ivan was helping other guests - he's just not very pleasant nor hospitable. The rest of the staff was great, but not Ivan.

Had room service one night and it was Good/Fair. We were overcharged for one item and then one item was charged that we didn't order. This was quickly removed.

Hotel is in awesome location. Loved the room, the bed was awesome. There were a lot of activities going on for the holidays. Would definitely stat here again. The rates were quite expensive this week, between $599 - $899 a night.

Room Tip: High Floors
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Socalac83,

Thank you for celebrating Christmas in Whistler with us! We're so pleased to see you enjoyed your holiday. We appreciate your feedback about our front desk manager and will be certain to follow up on your comments.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am a frequent traveller and Starwood pts member. My last stay (Dec. 14-23, 2012) was really poor. I have stayed in Whistler at least 50 wks in the last 15 yrs, including many wks at this property.

I prepaid $1800 in full for the room on Apr. 26th, 2012 online. After coming home and finishing my Xmas plans, I checked my email and found I was charged $3800 for the room that I had already paid for in full! (Including 2 nights at over $1000/nt!) Awaiting resolution after calling twice

During my stay, two wake up calls failed and were not followed up.

A package left at the front desk for me was not found after SEVEN phone calls with specific details provided. The package was luckily found at checkout, only because the lady at checkout was the one who received the package and remembered it.

Ski Valet charge is ridiculous.

Free internet was completely useless in my room (could not get email).

I went to restaurant at 745pm and was told they would not accept walk ins until 8, because they were busy. I came back at 8, was seated and had a mediocre meal and noticed that the restaurant was over half empty throughout my time there.

No slippers provided.

Hot tub chlorination is so strong that the smell stayed even after showering.

The Westin has now become my least likely place to stay in W.

This was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank 13travellingmike
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Socalac83,