“No hot water for $500 per night!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
“No hot water for $500 per night!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed Dec 21 through the 25 in the East Tower 4th floor. There is nothing worse than coming back to your room after a long day in the cold weather and have to take a cold shower.
It was warmer than only turning on the cold, but uncomfortable.
The other negative: the dogs!
There is something wrong when your trying to get a good nights sleep, spending all this money, desiring to have the energy to ski and you have to hear a dog barking!
It is possible that other properties also have dogs. But there was no weight limit. I had to share the elevator with an over 100 LB St. Benard!
I went to lock the chain from the door to the wall and the plate that the chain slides into comes off with the molding. The entire almost 7 ft door casing falls off having been nailed on with only a few finishing nails.
How was this supposed to prevent an intruder pushing their way in when it can't even support the weight of the chain.
Other hotels have a metal bar that swings over and grabs a piece of metal on the door allowing the door to be opened an inch to speak and be handed something from the hall but preventing the door from being opened. I know in other hotels these were screwed into the 2 X 4's that frame out the door because I mistakenly tried to open the door without disengaging them, and then I pulled hard only to come to a quick stop. Very poor security. In need of some upgrades.
There was a balcony but the sliding door was jammed shut.

To be fair on the plus side if you like cold showers and still want to consider the property. The location was a 5 min walk from both gondolas. But so is the Pan Pacific, the Hilton, the Carleton Lodge and the Sundial among others.

The room service was superb. I had pancakes for breakfast, and beef tenderloin for dinner. The food was in the room in less than 30 min, and perfect.

All the staff was courteous. They answered immediately--not on hold like so many hotels. They were knowledgeable.

One thing that was disturbing: I asked for a limo rate from the hotel to the airport and was given a fare. I instead did a google search for "limo Whistler BC" and I called the first hit and got. The rate was $100 cheaper. I asked the Concierge if she had ever had an experience with the company and she said she had no knowledge of them. I think they only use companies that give them a kickback.
I ended up using the company from the web to go from the Hotel to the airport and they were right on time. Gave me emails and text messages to confirm and to provide a receipt as well as the driver's name and cell number. The driver was very nice, and a brand new Cadillac: Whistler Glacier Group 604-905-7779. I had taken the bus from Vancouver Airport. Runs only every two hours and makes stops at other hotels along the way. I had to wait in the cold outside to board it. They had TVs but nothing was playing. It was so much nicer to have the convenience of leaving when I wanted to, and not stopping at numerous hotels and having someone help me with my bags. The bus was old, the car brand new.
Lastly the ski shop in the base of the Westin is to be avoided. Extremely disorganized. They could not find my reservation that I had prepaid for. There were several employees and no one wanted to fit me for my equipment. Then the worst of it, as apposed to every ski shop in Steamboat, Vail etc. They had no lockers. So what are you to do with your boots that you walked in with? If your a woman and you had a purse? So I had to carry all of my equipment up to my room. Put my ski boots on and carry my skis, poles and wear my helmet back down.
Then at the end of the day they only store skis and I had to walk a very long way to my room in ski boots.
I was told some of the other ski shops did have lockers but I had already prepaid.
In Steamboat I rented just next to the gondola and had employees attacking me to be the first to help me remove my boots!
They had free lockers. They gave you tokens for the lockers when you rented from them.
They stored your skis, and poles and allowed you to put your helmet and boots in the lockers for free. They helped take your boots off and helped you put them in a locker with your helmet.

Its no fun walking in ski boots at the end of a long day of skiing, as well as you bring a ton of snow to melt on your floor of your room. Worst of all about the Westin is if your near the ski shop in the East Tower your very far from the lobby and the front desk. I forgot my key one day and had to walk 20 min in my ski boots! 10 min each way to the lobby way on the other side of the property even having to wait with a huge crowd at the elevator to go up to the lobby level.

Please go to Whister--just consider other lodging: The resort is the best--best snow, fantastic shops and food. The mountain huge. More diversity than even Vail with all its attributes such as the bowls.
There were no lines---at Christmas time!! Even off holiday on weekdays I waited in long lines at Vail. To navigate and find the best spots for powder, as well as improve my technique Whistler offers a one-of-a-kind offer: you can hire for the day an Olympic guide. Go on their website and see the diverse group of Olympic skiers (Ski With an Olympian). I chose Julia Murry, she was a 2010 Olympian who has been skiing in Whistler since age 2. This made it the best ski experience ever! She cut through the 200 runs and 37 lifts confusion and brought me to the best powder, least crowds, and helped me with my technique.

Good luck and enjoy the best ski resort in North America --just don't stay here.

1 Thank Drduane
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Dr. Duane,

Thank you for sharing your review, and please accept our sincere apologies. We would like to speak with you directly but have been unable to find your file with the information you've given. Please contact me directly at your convenience so that we can discuss your stay in more detail. You can reach me at eric.eikeland@westinwhistler.com.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Korean first
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Westin is in a prime location. The whistler gondola is steps away. We were there for week, and enjoyed fantastic weather. Our snow boarders liked the easy access to the board and ski valet, which exited to the gondola.
We stayed in 1021 which at first seemed a bit out of the way...until we figured out that although we were a bit of a distance to the front desk, we were very close to the gondolas and the village. The 2 bedroom suite had a handy kitchen and a great view of the gondolas.
The resort is built into a hillside, so the 10 th. floor felt more like a 3rd floor room.
The room was spotless and the housekeeping staff was very thorough.
Kids and grandkids enjoyed the pool and spa. We had room service once and it was great. We also used their shuttle service which was wonderful. The drivers are great and if asked most are very knowledgable of the area.
Thank you Westin for the hospitality!

Room Tip: Room 1021 is a two bedroom suite on the 10 th. floor. At first it seems out of the way, but it is in...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Katherine ,

Thank you for staying with us! We're so pleased to have welcomed you and your family for your holiday getaway. We hope to have you back again from Oregon soon!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

As a couple on our honeymoon, it was a very good choice of hotel for a two night stay. When we arrived, the porters were prompt in looking after our luggage and they quickly arrived to our room. Check in at the lobby was very efficient and the complimentary upgrade to the 1 bedroom loft room was well appreciated - thanks again Catrina!

The hotel: in a nice location only a short stroll to the gondola. It didn't impact our stay but need to advise, you can not ski to the doors of the hotel. From clicking ski's off, it's a 3 minute walk to hotel - a better option in my opinion. A small number of stores are also located in the hotel ranging from ski supplies, clothing and souvenir's.

The room: the one bedroom loft we received had a fantastic view of the mountains. Being on the 9th floor was just awesome. The room was comfortable in walking around and seeing as most of our time was spent on the snow, it was perfect for our needs. It was also clean and neat and the separate bath to shower also came in handy. Need to mention the bed was magnificent.

Concierge: a terrible experience here. The French accent,English speaking staff member who attended to me, needs to be taken off the floor and be given extensive re-training on hotel product knowledge. When I get an answer "I Think", without confirming either way, it makes the customer service experience laughable. It related to the use of the business centre and the costings of it. When another male concierge member tried to fix the problem by providing us the password for faster Internet, he forgot to mention the password was case sensisitive, so my walk back from the business centre to him was very quick. He had to call I.T to rectify problem. This was the only downside of our stay and will happily state that many positives outweighed this very poor experience.

Dining: we had the buffet breakfast which was really good. Pricey? maybe, you judge. At $28 a head for unlimited hot and cold foods including coffee and juices, I think it was reasonable. I had 2 omelettes, toast, sausages, bacon, 4 juices and a coffee. The village will be priced probably dearer for the same items. And yes I was hungry that morning!

The pool and gym: the indoor/outdoor pool at 630 one morning was 27 degrees Celsius - perfect temp for a morning swim. Next to a very warm spa which many guests made use of. The gym was clean and well equipped with cardio and muscular machines to house about 10-15 people at any one time. A sauna was also on site for those who wanted to warm up their bones.

Customer service: apart from the concierge experience, it was fantastic. During our short stay I managed to catch a nasty bug which affected my immune system greatly - to the point where I nearly got driven to the medical centre on the mountain. The assistance my wife received from reception was fantastic and made it easier for her to handle her grumpy husband at the time.
On a separate note, being our honeymoon, as a surprise gift, chocolate strawberries were delivered to the room. This was eaten on our last morning after my immune system recovered to about 90% - thanks again to Catrina.

To get value for money,which we did, it wouldn't hurt to look at offers from websites away from their own to get a very good deal.

Overall, I believe this to be a great hotel to stay at for all types of travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom loft room on their highest floor with a view of the mountains- it is fantastic...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear indian-jones,

Thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us! We truly appreciate you sharing such a detailed review and are grateful for your feedback. We are glad you were able to enjoy so much of the resort, and get some time on the mountain during your short trip. We have followed up with our Concierge Team regarding your experience, please accept our further apologies about that. We hope we can welcome you back for an anniversary trip in the future!

Amritsar, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Had a great stay at the WESTIN Spa resort Whistler. Stay was for 2 nights, swift check in nice room in the west tower. One bedroom suite, compact with a full kitchenette, spacious bath, a fireplace and bonus a dinner table for 4. Great access to the whistler village and the whistler village gondola. Just a little too compact for a suite. Otherwise a brilliant stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear indian-jones,

Thanks for traveling all the way from India to visit us! We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit so much. We can see from your photos that you were staying in one of our studio suites. On your next visit you will likely find a one-bedroom suite is a better size for your needs. We hope to see you again soon!

Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

The rooms were spacious, the staff helpful, the location was very central, the gym and sauna were lovely, the restaurant/bar was great, room service was amazing (one of the best breakfasts I have EVER had)... absolutely loved it! The outdoor pool was out of commision but other than that, it was perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear QuiGonJin,

Thank you for staying with us! We're glad you enjoyed a relaxing fall getaway in Whistler! That photo of the trees you included in your review looks MUCH snowier now!

Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Let me start by saying if you are looking for the St Regis or Montage experience at Deer Valley or the Hyatt at Vail you will be sorely disappointed. This is NOT a true ski in / ski out hotel like the Pan Pacific. The hotel is getting old and NOT well maintained. They charge for EVERYTHING and I mean everything. Internet 14.00 a day, ski valet (Which you have to use) 8.00 per day, parking 30.00 per day, etc. The pool is small and disappointed. I would recommend you stay at the Fairmont or Four seasons if you can get it for the same price. The staff appears seasonal and not well suited for Gold and Plat Starwoods members. Not only did we not get a room upgrade as a Starwoods gold, but our first room had an obstructed view of NOTHING. I didn't expect to get a bigger room, but a better view should have been offered.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and the West Tower to avoid the long walk to the lifts. The one bedroom is a very sm...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul G
Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we are very disappointed to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations. We truly appreciate your business as an SPG Gold member, and regret that we were not able to make your stay more memorable. Based on feedback from our guests we eliminated our resort fee and now charge for individual services as they are used. WiFi is complimentary for all guests though we do offer a $9.99 upgraded option for high bandwidth use. We appreciate your feedback and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again.

las vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Whistler Westin is located on the southeast corner of Whistler Village, surrounded by numerous restaurants, shops, and more importantly, easy access to the gondola, It is a nicely located hotel. Don’t be fooled that it is “ski-in-ski-out”. You easily have a 5-8 minutes walk from releasing your skis to walking in the doors of the hotel after walking across a drop-off parking lot of dirty slush. From a location standpoint for happy ski-in-ski-out skiers, we would probably have preferred to have stayed at the Fairmont which overlooks the Blackcomb ski base and seems to be a slightly easier access area.

We had a one-bedroom suite which consisted of a small, but reasonable appointed kitchen, dining table, and small living room area with a pull-out couch and fireplace. There was a small separate bedroom and a nicely-sized bath. We were slightly disappointed with this “4-star” property. The room was rather cramped overall and a little worn. We requested a room with a better view after our first night and did get moved to a room with a slightly better mountain view. My husband enjoys opening the door to the balcony for the “crisp air”, which is highly annoying to my always freezing self.

One of the perks at this Starwood property is the option to opt out of housekeeping and receive 500 points per night. We are happy to grab our own new towels from the pool/spa area as needed or grab them off a nearby housekeeping cart! Speaking of the pool, there is an indoor and outdoor hot tub and a pool where you can swim from indoors to the snowy outdoors. An added perk as a mom of a young one who thinks he can swim perfectly, was a wall of life vests which allowed me to watch him swim all over safely!

The lobby is fine….large fireplace and lots of comfy chairs. There is really nothing in the lobby other than the valet so it doesn’t really have any draw. In the hotel itself, there are 2 restaurants, Both of which are fairly overpriced and we never ate at. One of the downfalls of this hotel is that there isn’t any type of coffee shop or quick food area. There is a below-average Sushi restaurant that I would not return to in the access hallway heading towards the ski rental area. But we found that to be a real downfall in this hotel to not have a "quick service" food option or small store. The nearest grocery store is easily a 10 minute walk down the village stroll.

If given the choice, we would probably stay elsewhere. This wasn't a bad hotel, it just wasn't all that remarkable as a Westin property.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view, or you could end up with a view of a sidewalk and a snowy tree and little e...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Jenbug75,

We're glad to have welcomed you and your husband to the resort and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I do regret to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. From the maintenance of our rooms to the service culture we create among our teams, we strive to ensure that every guest feels well cared. I apologize that we weren't able to achieve this with you. We hope we'll be able to welcome you back again on your next trip to Whistler.