“Whistler Village at its best”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The proximity to all there is to do at Whistler right outside your door, was an unexpected treat. Yah the village isn't that big but with the gondola, zipline and myriad bike rentals right outside our door...well it was awesome. We stayed on the 8th floor of the west tower facing the village and mountain...the view was excellent. Our junior suite was smallish but very comfortable and perfect for our needs. The rooms were well appointed and quiet. A walk to the far side of the village is less then 10 minutes...great places to eat, drink and shop literally right out the door. The concierge service was excellent, he made our reservations for the zipline and gondola ride online as we spoke to him. Great suggestions to eat as well. The gym and jacuzzi were a great way to end the day. Highly recommend a stay here to anyone.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear MichaelSDCA,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review! We're delighted you enjoyed your Whistler getaway, especially the Zip Trek Adventure, one of my favorite activities! We hope to have you back soon!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

When you compare all that Whistler has to offer, it's nice to stay at a place that offers luxury resort amenities so close to the mountain base and Whistler village.
I have stayed at the Westin a few times now, and the service has been excellent. Right from the greeting in the driveway thru to check in to the room, it was a clean and well serviced experience. Quick access to the village and ski lifts makes it a winner.
We used the pool every day. An indoor/outdoor pool, and separate indoor and outdoor hot tubs are quite good. They are small, but if you travel off-season you will pretty much have them to yourself. And an outdoor hot tub in the rain is unbeatable (read: mid-October is the time to visit!).
The Aubergine restaurant is decent. You will find better in Whistler village but it's hard to get away from expensive dinners here. The shops in the hotel are ok, but walking the village is what makes Whistler special anyway.
If you're a golfer, the Whistler course is on the doorstep. It's not Nicklaus North but it can hold it's own. You can't beat the scenery on the course,
The room amenities (junior suites and up) are excellent. Westin's Heavenly bed, a kitchenette that includes an oven, dishwasher, fridge with freezer, microwave, plenty of cutlery and dishes, a decent sized TV with good HD channels, and a 5 foot deep soaker tub are really appointed well. The rooms are cozy small but functional. The plentiful wood decor, cupboards, etc make it feel like you're in a chalet. And of course the mountain is out your back window (if your room faces east).
You'd have to be very critical to find anything disappointing at the Westin Whistler, even if 5 star resorts are the only places you stay.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor, room 470. This wing is quiet and easily accessed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank theoldalfer

Dear theoldalfer,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review! We love welcoming families and are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend getaway! We hope to welcome you all back soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a big chain hotel. I travel all over the world (well, actually all over Europe) and almost never stay in chain hotels. I like smaller. I like quainter. I like the grandma making the breakfast and the kids serving it. But I also like free - and when offered a free night at this Whistler Village hotel from a business associate, I snapped it up! The lobby is big and had lots of people on staff - we checked in quite quickly, though the front desk girl really wanted to sign me up on some Starwood points program or something (which in the end I think I did - I can't remember). She also tried to upsell us to a "better more comfortable suite". Who needs more than the "Junior" suite? Lots of room, a closet, big bed, couch, patio, little kitchen, nice bathroom... We liked that they are dog friendly - we brought our big fluffy Samoyed for her first ever hotel stay. The parking at $30 a night - a little steep? I don't know - that's all the whole trip cost us, so I won't complain. I don't even know how much the room would have cost. One thing - for the tea/coffee service in the room, they had that fake cream hydrogenated petroleum oil infused with monosodium poisonate (get the Simpsons reference?) - International Delight or something. So I went to the desk and asked for cream for the tea. They sent a guy with 6 more of those things. So my wife went to the desk. This time they sent an actual pitcher with half and half in it. Just use the real creamers! Nobody, NOBODY would choose to use those fake ones, unless they are completely unaware of what is in them or just don't care about good coffee/tea or about themselves. Other than that, nice place for a chain.

Dear Craig,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're glad to have welcomed you and your wife (and your Samoyed of course!) We appreciate the difference that smaller boutique hotels offer, and hope that you found our service to be just as attentive. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had the opporunity to stay at the Westin Whistler a few weeks ago and it was an incredible experience! The room was spacious and my balcony overlooked Whistler Village and mountains. I like having the kitchenette and dining rom area which made it convenient to enjoy a glass of wine and cheese outside and not utilize the mini bar. My room had a fireplace which was perfect for the cool evenings although the weather was perfect (mid 70's during the day and 40's at night). There is so much to do in Whistler and staying at the Westin (which is right in the middle of the village) made it very easy to get around.

Great service with wonderful, attentive staff thoughout the Resort. The dinners we enjoyed in the Hotel were on par with any fine dining restaurant in town. 4 days were definitely not enough.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear MileHighTravelers303,

We're delighted to have had you stay with us, thank you for sharing such a wonderful review! We hope we can welcome you back from Colorado again soon!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The good: This is a world class institution that has a front - end ( the people who greet you before entering the facility) that is second to none. These guys have a limited bit of real estate to deal with and they manage to get cars and people processed without feeling pushed or rushed. They do it with a smile and they do it all day long. They're amazing!
Unfortunately, that's where amazing ends....well, almost. This hotel is a dog-friendly place and my wife and I travel with our two fairly large Rhodesian Ridgebacks - a boy and a girl. There is a one-time fee of 20.00 added to the bill for the pleasure of having your dogs with you but they get a reception that is genuinely friendly and their own bed to lie on in your room. So, if you have mutts and want to take them with you, this place makes it an easy and straightforward exercise.
O.K., that's where amazing ends. The room fee does NOT include wi-fi. That little perk will cost you almost 15 dollars a day (in this day and age, I find that extortion). The rooms are a bit 'down at the heel'. What that means is that in the first room we checked into, the control for the fireplace fell out of the wall, the doors don't close behind you when leaving the room and the mechanical noise you will hear all night long will probably keep a light sleeper awake - all night long! I could go on to say that the appliances in the kitchen are working but just, and they're very noisy as well...but you get the point...they haven't maintained the place and kept it up-to-date as you would have expected someone like the Westin to do.
Finally, I accepted (paid for) an improved living space when I checked in. It was a bigger room which probably meant that my wife and I wouldn't be tripping over our dogs while in the room. The irritation here was that the room we paid extra for was charged out at 189 dollars/night after the up-charge. Online, however, (and I mean Westin's own site) that same room for the weekend was being charged out at 169 dollars per night. I asked for a 'correction' when I checked out and was given the 'we can't match any online rate and the 'normal' rate for your room is 249 per night' - in other words, "What are you complaining about, the rate you got was so much better than 'normal'?
There are other pet friendly places in Whistler and the village, the place itself is a second-to-none natural wonder. We'll go back but we'll look for another option for bedding ourselves and our pets down for the night(s).

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, get a room on the "front side of the building". the tow...

Dear Robert M,

Thank you for sharing your review, we truly appreciate your comments, both positive and constructive. We're glad that our team made your family (dogs included) feel welcome. We're proud of the high levels of service that our associates provide, however we must apologize that the condition of your suite was not up to standard. We take care to maintain all areas of the hotel as best as possible, although it appears we need to take a closer look at the suite you stayed in. We should also mention that as of this summer we do offer complimentary WiFi, as well as the option to pay for increased bandwidth. Finally, please accept our apologies for the discrepancy with your rate. Because the rates listed on our website are prepaid and non refundable as part of our online "best rate guarantee" it can be difficult to match them on-property. If you can kindly contact me directly at eric,eikeland@westinwhistler.com, I would be happy to resolve this for you personally.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very nice hotel wasn't planning to stay here. Booked one night at Nita Lake Lodge was so unhappy we came to the Westin. Glad we did. Outstanding service, good location and has very thing you want. Book now its worth it !

Room Tip: Top floor has vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear C0NTE5TANT,

Thank you for sharing your review! We're so grateful that you took the opportunity to stay with us and are delighted you had such a memorable stay with us. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Reserved a one bedroom suite for our anniversary. Received a free upgrade to a mountain view room. Sounds great - but when the bathroom is the most spacious room in the suite, how can one be comfortable? The bedroom was so small that I got dressed in the dining area. I could barely walk around the bed; maximum 2-3 feet between the bed and wall/dressers (on all three sides!)
The web-site advertised a full kitchen in the suites; however we only had a bar fridge which barely held two days of food. The counter top was about 2 feet which made it difficult to prepare a meal for two.
The deck had two chairs on it, but you couldn't actually sit in them because there was no room for your legs!
The bathroom was spacious and well laid out, but lacked in maintenance. The taps were loose, the shower door leaked profusely, and the grout was mildewed. (Oh, I fixed the dishwasher racks myself.)
The sofa cushion was stained.
Self parking was $30/night ($34 valet); 4 & 5 star Vancouver hotels are cheaper.
You're not allowed to use a luggage cart - must hire a bellhop.
On a good note - the restaurant meal was absolutely superb, as were the chocolate covered strawberries in our room!

Dear Joanne R,

Thank you for staying with us for your anniversary! We appreciate being a part of your special occasion, and would like to apologize that your suite did not live up to your expectations. We have a large variety of room configurations and layouts, on your next visit we'd be pleased to recommend one that has a more spacious layout for you. We would also like to apologize for the maintenance issues in your room, we have shared your comments with our housekeeping and engineering teams to ensure they are followed up on.