“Good location, heavenly bed”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Jakarta
“Good location, heavenly bed”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We visited Whistler end of summer. Heard a lot of negative review of this hotel, I assume all those happen during peak winter season. To make the long story short, overall experience was good, especially location which is just next to the gondola station. We needed laundry service (which was closed on weekend) to press our suits, and hotel staff suggested that we use the iron available in the room which turned out to be very good. Airport shuttle also stops at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London/ Cape Town
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We have stayed here 5 times. There are pros and cons but each year my grizzles stay the same.....the location is great and many thanks to Colin at the front desk as we were originally placed in a tiny one bed suite where the four of us struggled to fit. He helped move us to another room and was very charming.
We were also given a late check out so again many thanks. However, my grizzles grow, the hotel charges a fortune for Internet - we were quoted 95 plus tax for a week. Every bar in Whistler has free Internet access, last year we were given the first couple of days Internet free and I could still download my emails. NOT this year - this is insane! All the other big hotels have free Internet so I had to wander I to them each evening which means the Westin loses out. When I wanted my emails I had to walk 2 meters from the hotel to pickup a free signal. The parking is a massive 30 dollars a day yet 18 at a hotel literally 1 min away and the ski valet charges ( you have to use this) are 8 dollars a day per person to a value of 24 dollars per room. Luckily ski valet was included in my rate from the ski company but these cost are unbelievable and totally unrealistic.
I have always found housekeeping slow but on this visit I came back to the room at 2pm four times during our 9 day stay and our room had not been cleaned. I accept that this was a busy time of year but I was still shocked.
My children love this hotel but I find the extras so expensive that we used the other hotels more and more really for Internet and parking to keep the charges more realistic . I like the small kitchen area and the laundry facilities but I do think it needs to move with the times

Room Tip: The size of the one bed suites vary hugely so ask to check out a few.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank catcalraph
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear catcalraph,

Thank you for your loyalty as a return guest and for taking the time to share your review. We’re glad that Colin was able to help make your stay more comfortable. Though we do our best to set our prices to remain competitive, we certainly appreciate your feedback and will take note of it. Please accept our apologies for your difficulties with our housekeeping service, we have shared your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure we’re striving to offer the best service possible.

Sydney, NSW
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is an honorable mention for a staff member at the bell desk. His name is Juan Pinera, I think.
My 7 year old daughter loves her artwork - constantly drawing or colouring-in on paper, or on the iPad.
One evening, she asked if I could sharpen her coloured pencil set, as she had worn them flat. I took them down to the bell desk, to ask for a sharpener. Juan (at the desk) said they did not have a sharpener, as they didn't even use pencils anymore. However, he said, they have a pair of scissors - perhaps he could sharpen the pencils with it.
I was somewhat dubious, but with no alternative, said to go ahead.
Juan then went on to whittle not one, but ten pencils with the scissors blade! By the end, we had ten coloured pencils, ready for use.
My daughter could then, continue with her artwork.
This service by Juan, made our stay at the Westin Whistler, "something special"!

• Stayed January 2012
Dear thedjlee,

Thank you so much for sharing your review! We are delighted to hear Juan made your family’s stay so memorable! We will be sure to share your kind comments with him. We hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Stay Well,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights during a January ski vacation, chosen based on recommendation from Whistler Blackcomb official reservations agent. Theoretically ski in ski out, the location next to Whistler Kids and the Village gondola are great, but I would rather trade good service than good location. The problems started upon check in. We arrived at 2:30, and were told the room wasn't ready as check in time was 4 pm. Nor did they have the promised lift tickets. We were told to go line up at Guest Relations. We returned well after 4 pm, laden with groceries, and were ignored by all staff. Eventually we were told the room was still not ready. After some complaints, we were given keys to another 1 bedroom suite. However, it was not as advertised, and had no king bed. I trekked back to the front desk, only to have the rude employee challenge me on whether the suite we were promised had a king bed. Finally we got into the original room. Wanted to have a drink, but couldn't as all glassware was in the dishwasher that was just started. There was no information in the room about any of the hotel or resort facilities, so it wasn't until we encountered the odd friendly staff member that we found out details of the ski valet service, the pool hours, and the shuttle. The room was spacious, but not cleaned well, and housekeeping did not seem to get to the room until after 3 pm each day. Kitchenette is the least well designed of any hotel kitchenette I've ever encountered, and made making even breakfast a challenge. Although furnished with premium appliances (Subzero, Jenn Air, etc) the freezer doesn't keep anything frozen and most of the tiny fridge and counter space was taken up with minibar items. A big plus though - the sofabed was truly comfortable, even for adults. Most of our encounters with staff made us feel like we were not welcome guests, which made it a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Corner 1 bedroom units seem much bigger than regular 1 bedroom units.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank no_hills
Dear No_Hills,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review and would like to offer our sincere apologies for such a disappointing stay. Though I can see we did not meet several of your expectations, most importantly I regret that our associates did not make you feel well cared for during your stay. We strive to create a culture where every associate is attentive to guests’ needs, creating memorable experiences, and I can see we have not achieved that. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at 604.905.5000 or at bryce.beatty@westinwhistler.com.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two teenage sons last February. We found our two bedroom suite to be clean and well appointed, not a huge suite but very well designed to provide enough room for a family of four. It is a pity that the rooms do not have there own laundry facilities, but luckily everyone using the on floor laundry were timely in removing their washing for the next person. The hotel is is a great location a couple of minutes walk to the Gondola and at the end of the day the ski concierge sets up a tent at the end of the last run to return your skis to the hotel for the next morning. We holidayed after the Christmas rush so queues were not a problem, reception staff were helpful and the restaurant for evening meals was very good. Our room was very quiet and our stay most enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
BC
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Spacious rooms. Comfy beds. Kitchenette with cookware, dinnerware, glassware and utensils made eating in a breeze. Cozy hot tub with refreshments and terry cloth rob for the relaxing spa was nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear loveoahu,

Thank you for staying with us for your girl’s getaway weekend this past summer! We’re glad to see you enjoyed your time with us, and hope we can welcome you back for a girl’s ski weekend soon!

Stay Well,
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Good location, convenient to get to lift and village but bad customer service and rooms are overpriced.

Took almost an hour to check-in because we were originally promised an upgrade and agreed to a price but after 30 min of trying to change the room, the manager comes back to tell us that the room had actually been sold already. Then, manager was not apologetic after the long wait but rather defensive. To add salt on the wound, they had originally sold us on the upgrade because after seeing that we were traveling with 5 people in our group (one being an elderly woman), the front desk attendant said the room we have was going to be too small and that one of us would have to be sleeping on the couch.

If you are one who likes to enjoy going to the hot tub after a day on the mountain, be prepared to just soak in the tub in your room because the ones on property are way too small for the size of this hotel and always packed.

Bottom line, stay here as your last resort...try to look elsewhere first.

• Stayed December 2011
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us in person to resolve the issues you experienced during your stay. We’re grateful we were able to reach a resolution and look forward to welcoming you back soon!