“I'm going back to the Westin !” 2 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Belfast
“I'm going back to the Westin !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2007

Background : This was the 6th season that my family and I have been skiing in Whistler. All previous occasions we stayed at the Westin. This time we decided to stay at the Chateau as the rates were a lot better and we thought we'd give it a whirl.

BIG MISTAKE! ( No wonder there are so many offers on - they cannot keep up with the competition )

Where do I start ?

Rooms were filthy - I was able to write my name in the dust. The rooms were not dusted at all during our 10 night stay.
We had dirty plates and glasses in our room for 3 days - housekeeping did not remove them ( though asked ) eventually we dumped them in the hallway.

Our room had interconnecting doors to another room and we were disturbed every morning & night by our noisy neighbours. They had 3 kids in who had no respect for other people's peace and quiet. It truly was a nightmare.

Sheets didn't fit the bed so I slept really badly.
Baths really uncomfortable and small - as you would expect on a budget ski holiday in Europe - NOT a 5 star hotel in Canada.

Ski Concierge - lost my skis twice in 9 days ( no wonder alot of the guests were taking their equipment up to their rooms !)

Breakfast was like a rugby scrum. Admittedly it was Easter and the hotel was packed - but twice we ended up eating in the bar as the restaurant was full.

BUT .....

... the ski rentals were great - equipment in very good condition.
The spa was great - get a massage from Russell ( brilliant ) !

The service was on the whole good - but the place was very dated and certainly NOT worth what we paid ( even with the discount ! )

I can safely say - I will not be returning.

• Liked — Communal Areas
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and decor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank crystaltips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

My wife and I arrived mid afternoon with only 2 hours of sleep under our belts from working most of the night and then catching an early-morning flight. We were pretty tired, so when we got to our room we just crashed.

We woke up and had a chance to look around the room - one word: filthy. The bathroom had a vanity mirror that looked like it hadn't been dusted in months with some gross buildup on the back of it and the sink had what looked like a blood stain on the front of it. I took a look around the rest of the room, and what I found under the bed was disgusting.

I moved the bed from its position (something that hadn't been done in 6 months from the looks of it) and there was just a pile of dust and dirt with some little pieces of paper - typical of what you would see if you hadn't vacuumed in a long while (we alerted hotel management, but more on that later).

The decor was pretty sad for a hotel that tries to hold itself to a "luxury" standard; it's in desperate need of updating. Curtains with sheep and cows? Drab, floral-patterned wallpaper and ugly carpet? They're all here. I would compare this hotel to an old Holiday Inn. I'm not trying to sound like I'm hard to please either, but when you're paying $400+ per night for a room, it should be in good shape, at the very least, clean! I think you get the point - we were VERY disappointed.

We informed management, and they kindly upgraded our room, but guess what - the bathroom mirror was in the same disgusting shape!! I think it speaks to a deeper issue with this hotel. I'm not sure if it's just laziness, or lack of training, but whatever it is, it's losing customers for the Fairmont.

Service is another area that's lacking badly. You know how you leave the towels on the floor if you would like new ones, and hang them up if you will be reusing them? Well, we left ours on the floor. The "room service" picked one up off the floor, hung it up and took the other towels leaving us with nothing but hand towels and a wet, dirty towel (from the floor) on the back of the door. Unbelievable! I had to call down to the front desk for more towels, which admittedly, is not that hard, but what kind of "service" is that?

Next, it was raining hard and we didn't have an umbrella, so I went to the front desk to ask if we could borrow one (something I wouldn't normally do, but I noticed plenty of other people with umbrellas from the Four Seasons resort, so I wondered if Fairmont would do the same). The response: "Let me look...nope!" That was it. And the only place he looked was the little closet right behind him! No call to others in an attempt to locate one, just a poor attitude towards customer service. We ended up getting pretty wet, but we were going to meet our family at the Four Seasons - guess what? The Four Seasons gave us an umbrella when they noticed we were wet, and told us, "You can keep it." Wow, what a difference.

My family was staying at the Four Seasons so we had quite a bit of exposure to the rooms, service, spa, and dining - we know where we're staying next time! That place is unbelievable.

Anyway, back to the Fairmont. When you go on vacation, you're spending hard-earned money, and you want to enjoy yourself; the Fairmont is not the place. I can't speak to the quality of the bars in the hotel, because we avoided them due to the loud, wannabe island music from some guy on a keyboard, and all the drunken people trying to dance to it. Check out other reviews and make your decision, but our advice: stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, value, and level of service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank rmmrjammr
Westcoast_Girl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

I stayed here with work a week ago. Thank Goodness I never paid for it myself or I would have moved to another hotel once I saw my room!

Don't get me wrong - the hotel (outside and the property itself) and in the common areas is very nice - the bars and service, etc are all great. However, the rooms leave something to be desired, and for the rate they ask, it's unacceptable.

I was in a room with two queen beds on the 3rd floor. The carpet had a burn hole in it, the yellow walls had scuffed marks on them, and the wallpaper in the bathroom looked old - it didn't feel "clean" at all. It needs a good renovation and a scrubbing to be up to par with that level of hotel. I wouldn't stay here again until that happened.

• Liked — nice lobby, pools, bars, etc and the location is at the base of Blackcomb
  • Disliked — the rooms are old, a bit run down and need to be refurbished.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank VanBC_girl
North Barrington, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

I am a Fairmont presidents club member. Just a quickie-this hotel needs refurbishing. It's showing it's age in some places and it smells "unfairmont" like.

Service is top notch and the attitude is there, but it needs some care.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Need2ski2
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

This probably isn't a fair review as the Fairmont is my favorite hotel chain and I stay at these hotels several times a year. But I have to communicate what an amazing Christmas we had as a family this year at this great hotel.

There are so many little touches here - from the Christmas tree in our room, to the personal conceirge service before we even entered the hotel, to the great valet staff out front, the fabulous spa, the very entertaining sleigh rides ... I could go on-and-on about how this hotel just gets everything right.

From the moment we entered until we left they just took care of us. When we wanted the television in a different part of the room so the adults could watch while our child slept-- they moved it without complaint. We commented how pretty the Christmas trees were in the lobby and how sad we were to be missing ours over the holiday - and presto there was a tree in our room. We mentioned to our waiter that our 6-year-old might have issues waiting through a long Christmas dinner, and here comes a plate of treats for him to munch on. The waiters remembered our names every day at breakfast. The spa was amazing- my husband even got a pedicure.

I highly recommend the offsite Fairmont fondue restaurant. This was a highlight of the trip. Well honestly - there were too many highlights to mention.

The shuttle between the Fairmont and the mountains operated right on time. The property is ski-in/out for Whistler but Blackcomb requires a ride.

We also highly recommend the ski school for the kids. My son had never been on skis or a snowboard before- and now he cannot stop asking when we get to go again.

This is one top-knotch hotel. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We'll remember our 7-day stay for the rest of our lives.

• Liked — The excellent Fairmont service team - they just got everything right
  • Disliked — nothing to say - not a bad moment on the trip
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank kelangst
Bolton England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

The hotel itself is a large, new looking hotel with excellent facilities and friendly, very helpful staff. However, I didn't enjoy the food. We dined in The Wildflower Restaurant which I found to be lacking in atmosphere and had a poor choice, particularly for vegetarians with just one choice.

I also ate from the bar menu but it too didn’t rate well, and despite a wide selection of cocktails I was unable to find one I could finish, most being too sickly sweet,

However, the hotel situation couldn’t be better, in fact it is THE closest hotel to the slopes, but make sure you get a rear view room which overlooks the slopes. Despite it being a ski in ski out hotel it also has a concierge service situated at the bottom of the slopes to help you out of your ski’s and save you the short trip down the steps to the store room.

Its Portabella Restaurant is where everyone goes for breakfast, unless you have upgraded to the Gold service, but despite it also lacking in atmosphere they have a good breakfast selection at a reasonable price.

The pool facilities where second to none, with 3 outside hot jacuzzi’s, a lap pool and an swim indoor to outdoor pool. It also had a sauna, separate male/female steam rooms, a small but well equipped gym and a wellness spa.

They also have an outdoor seating area with patio heaters and fairy lights to enjoy your evening drinks under the stars.

I would definitely recommend staying hear, but dining out in the village just a 10 minute walk away or free shuttle bus. Whilst there we had a tour of the Four Seasons Hotel nearby and whilst beautifully furnished that also had a poor vegetarian selection but was situated a short walk from the slopes with poor views, mainly of other rooms. The Chateau Whistler has certainly grabbed poll position for their hotel.

• Liked — Location right next to the slopes
  • Disliked — Food especially vegetarial choice
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan2663
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2007

My boyfriend took me here for valentines day and boy was it a treat. We stayed on the gold floor which you pay a bit more for but the service and free breakfast, and speedy check in on your own floor makes it worth it for a real treat. I have never been treated so well by hotel staff before. The room was gorgeous, and the fresh omelet each morning in our own lounge was so nice to wake up to. This hotel is awesome, the service is impeccable! P.S. I also love the fact that you can ski to the chair lift right out of the lobby doors.

Stayed February 2007