“What a Hotel!!! This is the place to stay in whistler!”

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed in a room with two double beds in it, when we arrived they upgraded us to a larger room with a larger bathroom this was a nice surprise. The room was excellent, massive bathroom, comfy beds and what a view!! We could look out our window and see the main Blackcomb chair lift. The ski storage was excellent and the staff were very helpful. The hotel is well located, just a short walk to the village center. We stayed here over new year and the price was average for all the hotels in whistler. I would stay here again for sure.
The outdoor Hot tubs were a great place to relax after a long day on the mountain!

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChateauWhistler, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us!
Our newly renovated health club facilities in becoming a hot spot for guests, we're glad you had time to enjoy the facilities while you were here.
Our colleagues strive to make every guest’s stay personalized and memorable. Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Chateau Whistler and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Director of Front Office Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,665)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We are loyal Fairmont visitors and have stayed at this property once before - a number of years ago - and it appears that things have not changed since then. The common areas are great but the room we had this time would have been standard at a Best Western (not knocking BW). The room was dated, the furniture was dinged and marked, and we had to ask for a clean cushion for our chair. And the beds - so uncomfortable, hard and the sheets that should have been retired a number of years ago. The bathroom was old and dirty - we had to have the shower ceiling cleaned but there were still spots. Don't look up, don't look up was all I thought when I was in there...

None of the grandeur of older Fairmont properties or the style and glamour of the new ones. I appreciate that the corridors and public areas may have been updated, but the room made me sad. And like other commenters, I could hear conversations in the next room.

Bright spots - the Mallard Lounge and the restaurant - great food in both, great service in the Mallard Lounge. Fun for people watching.

We paid top dollar at the last minute which normally wouldn't be a problem, but we won't be going back to this fairmont any time soon. We couldn't get a gold floor room either so maybe that would have been better, but we will never know…

1  Thank Kim C
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks in January (following our wedding in June). We had a king room on the Gold Floor and had the most fantastic 2 weeks!

Where to start...

Breakfast - anything and everything you could want, all delicious and served with plenty of tea (6 different varieties), coffee and fresh fruit juice. I was stuffed every morning and it was a fantastic way to start a day on the slopes.

Room - the bed (and pillows) was so comfortable and huge! The room was cleaned every day perfectly with plenty of towels and water on offer. We had a lovely separate shower along with a whirlpool bath and his and hers sinks, fab!

Staff - all of the staff in the hotel were amazing, so friendly and efficient and I mean everyone, from the guys down in the ski/snowboard/boot room, to the waiting staff in the restaurants, to the lovely people in the spa and especially our 'family' on the Gold Floor in particular Ian, Peter, Daniel, Ai, Tiffany and Lauren (and the guys in the lounge, unfortunately I didn't catch their names).

We ate in The Grill (twice) and The Wildflower, we had some delicious food, wine and beer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either restaurant. Again the service was fantastic. I can only imagine The Mallard would have been along the same lines. We also has lunch in Portobello, a delicious, huge and reasonably priced sandwich.

We put our boards in for servicing and repairs in the Fairmont 'shop' and were very happy with the service and results.

The spa was wonderful, we made full use of the sauna, hot tubs and steam rooms and I also indulged in a massage which was so relaxing. A great place to ease those aching muscles.

I really can't think of enough wonderful things to say about the hotel and staff. Nothing was too much trouble and we really had an extra special time there, mainly down to the staff...oh and the snowboarding wasn't bad either ;-)

If you can I would definitely say to stay on the Gold Floor, well worth it. Staying there made a fantastic time away even more fantastic.

I was genuinely sad to leave and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or return ourselves in the future!

Room Tip: Gold Floor all the way!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChateauWhistler, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Chateau Whistler as your destination to celebrate such a lovely and personal celebration.

Our Fairmont Gold is in the top 5 of our international company and truly is the ultimate in luxury Whistler hotel accommodations.

Fairmont staff strives to turn moments into memories for our guests and hearing you have fond memories of our resort is rewarding and appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is the best hotel in whistler. Stayed on Gold floor the concierge went to great lengths to ensure everything was organised for our stay. The hotel was very well organised over Christmas with loads of programmes for adults and children. The staff help to make the whole stay a great family holiday. The Mallard Bar is the place to go and has a great atmosphere and buzz.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Callier,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay during the festive season. Our Fairmont Gold is in the top five of our international company and truly is the ultimate in luxury Whistler hotel accommodations

You visited the resort at the perfect time; Whistler is beautiful in the winter and the hotel is full of activities for the whole family. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I shared a room with 2 queen beds with one of our friends. The hotel is quite large, and well appointed. It has a nice ski check at the end of the day so you don't have to take boots and gear back up to the room.

The spa has everything, dry sauna, steam rooms, indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs. They even have a waiter that will bring you drinks in the hot tubs (3 or four outside) and you can charge them to the room so you don't have to fumble around with cards or currency.

The Mallard Lounge is the hotel's bar which is, like the hotel, sprawling and well appointed with overstuffed chairs, couches, multiple fireplaces, etc..

We walked to the main Whistler village one night and it wasn't too bad of a walk. It was very cold out on the way back though so you might want to catch a shuttle or taxi. Other things that I would file under cons: parking is among the most expensive anywhere in Whistler village, they charge for wifi which was more of a hassle than anything.

The breakfast buffet had everything from smoked salmon, Eggs Benedict to an omelet station. It wasn't cheap but you can fuel up for a long day on the slopes and not be disappointed by quality or selection. We never ate dinner at the hotel.

All in all a great experience, I'll stay with the Fairmont anytime.

Room Tip: If you pay a bit above the base rate they'll put you on floors 5-9 that have nice views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Damonis

Dear Mr. Damonis,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It's great that you had a chance to experience our newly renovation health club facilities, a serene place to relax the in the sun in this spectacular Whistler mountain resort setting.

Please know that our loyalty program, the Fairmont President's Club is a great opportunity for our staff to get to know you. This program has benefits such as complimentary high speed internet service, priority check in/out and upgraded amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was initially reluctant to stay here because I thought I wanted to be in the village but this hotel is literally a 5 minute walk from the village and the adjacent ski lifts without lines (as opposed to the gondola at the village) made it the perfect location! I found a deal for $258/night which seemed really low for in season and at that rate I was very satisfied! The room was nice but ordinary and you can hear all the hallway noise. So again, fine for $258/night but had I paid more I would have been a bit disappointed with the room. Most of the service was exceptionally good! The bartender in the downstairs bar even got our beers since my boyfriends luggage hadn't made it all the way to Whistler and one morning at 5am after I asked the concierge if I could get an espresso anywhere and was told the café didn't open until 7am, a man walked up to me and asked me if I was looking for an espresso and told me he could make one for me (exactly how I asked and he didn't change me)! You can't beat the ski valet, you literally ski to the bottom of the mountain and they take your things right there. The only service issue was when we called to have our skis brought up on the day we were leaving they took them to the lobby instead of our room as we had asked and when we asked for assistance bringing out bags down nobody showed up but those are minor. The lobby and bar get very crowded and noisy in the evenings so not our idea of a relaxing way to unwind but there are plenty of other options close by. Overall, a great weekend stay!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Arrived Christmas Day, the holiday lights, trees, caroling in the lobby and festive atmosphere was very inviting. The room was great, the bed comfortable, the location perfect - ski in and out and there was a shuttle bus to the village (or just walk). If you go do not ignore the email you will receive advising you to make dinner reservations and plan your trip. However, even though we missed out on the restaurant's, the hotel made plans for those of us who didn't have reservations and offered full menus in the lobby bar area, so it all worked out and we had a nice dinner . So here is our recommendation to you - make your dinner reservations ahead of time, ski/board rental is on property (rent in the evening and pick up in the morning - no lines) enjoy the hot maple sticks and hot chocolate at the end of the day as you come off the slopes, take advantage of the spa and outdoor pool area for a little relaxation, at night participate in the bomb fire and before heading to the fire take advantage of the complimentary hot chocolate/Baileys & cookie bar. Parking was covered and under the hotel, so it was very convenient - however, driving to the hotel from Vancouver can be a little scary if it's snowing, so drive during daylight hours and make sure you have chains (we hit a few flurries - no issues with the roads, but visibility was a bit of an issue). The vacation was great, everyone in the family had an unbelievable time, the hotel did absolutely everything to insure the trip was perfect - this might become an annual trip for us. Of course, skiing was great, Whistler was fabulous, what a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the slops are best - however, you won't be spending much time in there.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family