“Not a 5* hotel....”

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've stayed at most of the hotels in Whister, both with personal and business travel. Until a few weeks ago, the only hotel that I hadn't stayed in that was on "my list" was the Fairmont. What a disappointment it was. The room (and the floor) I stayed on was recently renovated; that is, the carpets were changed and perhaps some furnishings. The bathrooms were left relatively untouched. The flooring looks like a public swimming pool and the bathtub area like a cheap motel. Poor insulation of doors to the hallways made for a noisy evening. I found an electrical wire attached to a plug in my bed. Hairs in the bed too. Were the sheets even changed? There was nothing special about our room. I have stayed in much nicer rooms in 4* hotels in Whistler that were much cheaper.

This hotel does not even compare to the Four Seasons next door, which too is a 5* hotel. Pay the extra bit more and go to the Four Seasons if you want a true 5*hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JJVan
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed for 5 days in July with my son who is 12. Rooms were clean, spacious, had ample closet space, and a breathtaking view of the mountains. Can't beat the location. Pool was nicely heated, and hot tubs were hot! Perfect after a long day of biking and hiking. Hotel grounds were imaculate, and I found the staff to be helpful. Location was within walking distance to Whistler Village (about an 8 min walk), safe to walk around at night. The local farmers market was set up right beside the hotel the one morning.
Lots to see and do in Whistler. We had an amazing local tour guide who gave us lots of insider tips on where locals eat, hang out, must see places, and ways to save money etc. He took us up Whistler mountain and provided us with a tremendous amount of information we otherwise would never have known had we explored the area ourselves.
My only complaint with the hotel was I had requested a fridge and microwave, and they were not available the whole time we were there, and upon checking out, I was incorrectly billed for our stay. I called down before leaving to inform them of this error, was assured it would be taken care of immediately. When I recieved my credit card statement the following month, I noticed the error had not been corrected. I should have gone down to the desk before leaving, however when I called the hotel once I was back home, they apologized and within an hour the charge was reversed and an email confirmation sent.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends or family. I was a little concerned bringing a child to this hotel, but to my surprise there were quite a few children there and they were made to feel just as welcome.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We really enjoyed our visit at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler. The staff was very friendly and helpful with all our request. Our room was very comfortable with a great view. We enjoyed the lounge with live entertainment and the food was very good. We also enjoyed the shops around the hotel. Even though the health facilities were under construction, I had a massage in the spa. Real professional environmnet and a great massage. The hotel is within walking distance of the village. Overall we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Its worth it.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Wonderful, exquisite and luxury ski resort. Staff go out of their way to make your stay extra special and the facilities are second to none. Don't hesitate in booking this first class hotel that rivals Canada's number 1 resort!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were upgraded to a deluxe, slope-side room at a shoulder season rate and benefited from the lull between the busy seasons on the mountain. A king-sized bed, chesterfield, two arm chairs, coffee table, desk, good room lighting, small fridge, and quality coffee-making facilities made our spacious room very comfortable. Fitness facilites were somewhat reduced due to renovations being done off season but what was available was excellent and the renovations should make future stays even better. A watermark on our ceiling (5th floor) and repaired floor tiles in the bathroom suggested that our room may also be up for some renovation in the near future. Lobbies, halls, dining facilities on site all fully meet the grand Fairmont standard of luxury. Elevators are remarkably fast with no waits experienced. The hotel is located in the smaller upper Whistler village but there is a pedestrian shortcut through the woods and over a footbridge to the lower village where the majority of shops, restaurants, and services are located. The 15 minute walk may be difficult for some, especially after dark, but taxis are an option and very reasonable. Underground parking costs are to be expected at a hotel of this kind but Internet access was free to President's Club members.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is the first time visitng Whistler without snowfall but the drive to and from is well with the trip. A stay at the Fairmont is always delightful with its notable good service, excellent service, great location and great views from the guest rooms.

While the mountains are not quite as gorgeous without the snow, the rates are typically adjusted for that, so it is still an enjoyable road getaway

Room Tip: Allow extra time for the drive to and from to enjoy the vistas along the way, if traveling during th...
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Chateau is located a bit far from the village, but there is where the best hotels are located, as matter of fact, the Hateu and the Four Seasons are neighbors. The Hotel is gorgeous from the outside and incredible in the inside, rooms are big enough for you to feel comfortable. My only observation is that the concierge people were not as friendly and helpful as the ones I found at Vancouver and Victoria. I asked them about certain restaurants and they told me those were still closed and it was not true. Besides that, they did not gave any suggestion for optional dinning. Besides that the rest of the staff was nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family