“Great hotel, bad restaurants”

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Pleasanton
“Great hotel, bad restaurants”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

We elected to visit The Fairmont at their busiest time of the year, the holidays. It was also the most beautiful time with the Christmas decorations and the beautiful white powder snow! Although we were prepared to expect bad service, we did not expect one of its own highly rated restaurant to run out of bread and food!

We appropriately made dinner reservations 3 weeks prior our stay to The Fairmont's highly rated restaurant called The Chalet which is a fondue specialty seasonal restaurant. Unfortunately, they ran out of french bread, which is a must for cheese fondue (that's the main ingredient you dip) and the fondue was missing one of the most important ingredient (after the cheese) which is the Kirsh liquor. We had the chef add the Kirsh to our fondue but ended up having to use scraps of wheat bread to dip. When you pay over $30 per person for a cheese fondue, this was simply not acceptable.

Aside from that, all employees clearly were doing their best to make everyone's stay the best. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are comfortables.

• Liked — You never really wait for the elevators...there is always one available
  • Disliked — Breakfast cafeteria cashier and ordering lines are not working efficiently
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakville, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

I've just completed a four night stay (March 11-15) at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort with my two boys, ages 14 and 12 and we had a great experience.

The three of us enjoy skiing and thought that it would be fun to go to one of the best ski resorts in North America during their sping break. I selected the Fairmont because of its reputation and great location on the mountain. We reserved a one bedroom suite which had a king bed and a sofa bed.

The location definitely met my expectations with the Blackcomb mountain lifts only two hundred yards from the hotel. If you need to rent skis (like we did), I would highly recommend renting from the hotel since it is a very convenient and efficient process with their ski valet service.

The hotel itself is exactly what you would expect from a Fairmont, with all of the style and amenities of a 4 star hotel. The Fairmont is not cheap but you get what you pay for and the hotel does a good job of delivering on that.

Our one bedroom suite on the 8th floor was not overly spacious but was very comfortable nonetheless. I found the service level in the hotel to be very good with the staff demonstrating friendliness and enthusiasm.

The hotel does not really cater to children because that's not the target audience. However, for us the location of the hotel really trumped everything else.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my stay at the Fairmont and it delivered on my expectations. The ski-in/ski-out was fantastic but next time I'll bring my wife so the two of us can better soak up the Fairmont experience.

• Liked — Location to the mountains
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
juliehurley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

I stayed at Fairmont Whistler for a conference. I was most impressed by the bell hops, ski valets, and pool/ health club staff. Most of the staff was from New Zealand and Australia and they had some sixth sense to meet your request before you even asked. Every morning our skis were already pulled from the rack and ready for us! I do agree that for the price tag the bathrooms could have been a tad nicer but the beds were so comfy !!!

Stayed February 2008
victoria bc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at the Fairmont in February for a weekend. The service has seriously deteriorated compared to 2 years ago.

The frontdesk staff even managed to mixed up the check-in. The room was booked by the conference organizer. While I was at the meeting, my wife checked in and they assigned the wrong room of another guest with a similar last name. I checked into another room in the late afternoon.

Needless to say, a stranger entered into the my wife's room in the evening. We went down to the frontdesk to sort out the problem and the staffs did not apologize at all. It took a loud complaint to the manager before an apology was given...not sincere at all.

How could a "5-star" hotel mix up the check-in process?

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the services
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank ayee
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

I flew out to BC to do some weekend skiing in Whistler around Christmas time and decided to stay at Fairmont Whistler. I made some last minute changes to my accommodations and called in to switch rooms over the phone but I think they never recorded it. When the hotel staff realized what happened, they switched my room within 10 minutes to what I wanted and offered to assist me in moving all the luggage and ski equipment.

Being a Fairmont Presidents Club Member, I made use of all the amenities they had on site. I had a good workout at the gym and made use of the pool and sauna. Be sure to relax in the hot tub outside after a long day of skiing or hiking.

My friend and I also booked afternoon tea. We took the latest reservation and basically the two of us occupied the entire restaurant close to the cozy fireplace. Very enjoyable experience. The quality of the high tea package was satisfactory compared to the other Fairmont high tea experiences, perhaps a bit diminished because we had such a late sitting (4:45pm).

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank JY_Globetrotter
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

We got a great rate on expedia - a 24h sale in which we got a rate of ~$250/nt. We've stayed at all of the nice places (pan pac, westin, etc) in whistler - this was our first at the Fairmont. The Fairmont was great!!

We got an upgrade to the Fairmont gold level which gets you a room on a certain floor and access to a select concierge service which includes a very attentive and professional staff and a lounge where we got a great free breakfast and afternoon snacks. Not sure why we got the upgrade but I was happy to get it....

The pool was great and there were three outdoor hot tubs (and one indoor) - plenty of space for everyone. The food at the hotel restaurant was very good (although you should try Araxi in the village if you get a chance - its our favorite restaurant in whister).

The ski concierge and access to Blackcomb was awesome - very convenient. Getting to Whistler mtn was less than ideal but only about a 10 min walk (or you take one lift up blackcomb and ski over to whistler base).

Overall, the staff at the Fairmont is easily the best in whistler....hands down. They are professional and know what they are doing. Can't say enough about the service - it was great.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2007
3 Thank imbota
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

The Fairmont properties exemplify service in my eyes. For those who appreciate a conservative, traditional decor in their hotels, the Fairmont is a serious contender. Although I prefer more contemporary design, I usually enjoy a stay at a Fairmont property because of its spectacular service and attention to detail. The Fairmont President's Club is probably one of the best hotel programs in my opinion (and in particular if you're a Platinum member). Having said all of that, I was somewhat disappointed by the Chateau Whistler. I planned a trip to Whistler with friends and pushed heavily for the Fairmont. The Front Desk and Concierge were not of the level that I would expect for a hotel of this caliber nor the Fairmont name. The FPC desk treated a colleague of mine in an unseemly manner (relative to the typical impeccable FPC service), I noticed that the night-desk could use more training, and the concierges at times were frustrating (answering questions before the questions were completed as if they were automatons). The ski-in/out is very convenient (although it could have been nicer to be more central to Whistler mountain instead of Blackcomb ... unless you prefer Blackcomb, of course). The outdoor jacuzzis are very nice (although unruly children were a serious distraction). The service in the ski valet is very good, which was a big redeemer.

• Liked — Ski-in/out
  • Disliked — Front desk service and many unchaperoned children in the pool area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple