“Style monster”

Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 27, 2012

There is an old world charm here that oozes throughout this hotel. Set in an excellent location in the heart of Whistler. Who doesn’t enjoy an outdoor swim in a heated pool surrounded by snow after a hard day on the slopes? Follow your dip with a sumptuous meal in the lounge bar that reminds you of an old hunting lodge then kick back with a few drinks listening to a live performance. Tell the boss you have decided to stay longer. This is one hell of a good hotel.

Room Tip: I loved my view of the slopes
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,572)

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time staying here in August. The big bonus is its the only pool in Whistler that serves alcohol. Only con is this hotel is about a 10 min walk to the main village. Although this walk is very nice through the trees and over a creek.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Fairmont chain have finally got it right with the 'Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort'. On our recent holiday to Canada we stayed at the Fairmont Banff, Fairmont Lake Louise, Fairmont Jasper, and Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver.
The 'Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort' was the best of all the Fairmonts we stayed in. The rooms are beautifully and sumptuously decorated in contemporary/traditional style, with no guest comfort overlooked. Our room was very spacious with lovely views, and a window that opened to enable us to enjoy the fresh mountain air. There was ample room for two suitcases, a good workspace/dressing table, a sitting area, good lighting, a large closet, in-room safe, and a big bathroom with a shower-over-bathtub configuration. The two double beds were gloriously comfortable. I appreciated the extendable drying-line over the bathtub, the generous vanity bench space, and lit magnifying make-up mirror. The bath towels and robes were soft and fluffy. Our room was perfect, particularly compared to the other Fairmonts we stayed at.
The lobby and restaurants, were beautifully decorated in traditional, opulent, ski-lodge fashion.
The swimming pool area and poolside bar seating and lounges looked very inviting. It was good to see the Fairmont Whistler has a swimming pool for those wishing to do some serious laps, separate from the more hectic family pool.
My husband and I had a casual meal at the 'Mallard Lounge Terrace' as the weather was gloriously warm. We were entertained by the antics of two local squirrels scavenging for nuts. The 'Mallard Lounge' service was a little sporadic the busy early-evening we were there, and our meals arrived a little cold. I was however very impressed with the lovely and solicitous restaurant manager who responded to my request, (relayed by the waitress) for a particular side to my entree.
As an Australian; where government health and safety regulations prevent any animal other than assistance dogs entering hospitality/hotel premises I was a little disconcerted to see dogs in the hotel environment and on the hotel grounds. I noted two dogs defecating on the lawn adjacent to the Mallard Lounge Terrace, right beside where children were playing while parents dined, and heard agitated barking in the corridor outside our room. I don't mind the notion of a single well behaved 'Fairmont Dog' but would prefer not to see guests letting their dogs surreptitiously lick their plates, defecate, or disturb other guests. I love dogs, so please don't email me concerning my differing perspective/observations.
I would not hesitate to recommend the beautiful Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort.

Room Tip: We were traveling with a group of friends; consensus amongst them was that they were all delighted w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank u7jf
ChateauWhistler, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

We were very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at out hotel. It was disappointing to read about your experience regarding our Mallard Terrace lawn. This is one area we try to discourage our guests from walking their dogs due to its proximity to the restaurant.

Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked two rooms for my parents and my boyfriend and myself on aug 22nd, stayed for just one night. Overall me and my boyfriend was not quite impressed about the service at all.
1. they spell my last name wrong, which is only three letters.
2. upon check in, the receptionist was not smiling at all. very [--] face.
3. other receptionists hair was down....is that professional in a 4, or wanting to be 5 star hotel?
4. Request a connecting room, and ask receptionist if the given rooms are connecting room? she couldn't give out answer right away, have to double check the paper, which she couldn't find, and keep looking every where, every stations for the paper....Really?? that just look so bad....come on fairmont!
5. No directions were given after finish check in, was lost in lobby, dont know where the elevator is.
6. check in takes too long, no photo ID was asked too. (consider i booked BC rate, i thought BC ID was required)
7. Get into the room, the connecting door was locked, have to call someone to come open it. not smooth service at all.
8. Coffee machine in the room is kinda hard to use.....not very advanced technology compare to other 4/5 star hotel.
9. Some cream in the fridge were turned bad already, have to smell every cream before put in. Very disappointed!!
10. NO Turn Down Service...Seriously???
11. Beds have many stains on there.....for a 4 star hotel....is this the standard?? Disappointed!!
12. When enter the hall way, there is big dust balls on the hallway carpet....I think it's from housekeeping cleaning.
13. Next morning one room received bill, another room did not receive bill under the door. Not consistent service. Very confused.
14. When calling for late check out request, only offered to one of the room as we are calling from one of the room, but reservation is made Same last name for both of the rooms, No consideration for the guests's needs and wants.
15. Check out time, Ask us room number instead of last name. not professional at all.
16. Again!! No smile again....very pissed face. feel like we owe her a lot.....asked us how is our stay in a cold tone, we reply, it was okey. She answer in a cold tone, that's good. Silent. No engagement or making connections with the guests.
17. We parked our car as Valet, and i forget my hat in the car, and told valet about it. He asked us if we want to go get ourself....Seriously??? we paid for valet and u asked us to go get ourself?? very professional service from Fairmont....

That's the thing i can remember now.....there are more but i couldn't remember.
Overall, not feeling welcome to home. no attention to details.

I personally Won't stay there anymore, very disappointed, keep dropping the balls throughout the stay. I personally working in a 4 star, but trying to be a 5 star hotel as well so i am very familiar with the standard.

Honestly, i won't recommend any of my hotel colleagues to go stay in Fairmont Chateau Whistler if they go there for vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is amazing. We had a gift certificate for a one night stay in a standard room which was about to expire. We called the hotel to see if they would extend the expiry by a couple of days so we could come up on a Saturday/Sunday. It was absolutely no problem, they extended the expiry date on our one night stay gift certificate as well as our gift certificate for either of the restraurants in the hotel. We then decided to upgrade to the Gold Floor. We got there a little early and were directed up to the Gold Floor's private concierge desk to see if they possibly had a room available earlier than check-in. When we asked the concierge if there was a room available the concierge looked at my boyfriends jacket and responded with "Anything for a Ferrari fan." My boyfriend was ELATED. He's an avid Formula One fan and will talk anyone's ear off who will listen. They then proceeded to talk about F1 for a little while and we were directed to sit in the Gold Floor's private lounge while he looked to see if there was a room available. There was so we were able to check in. The room was beautiful. Amazing view, HUGE bathroom, and cookies as a treat. We turned on the fireplace and hung around the room for a little while and then decided to go explore the Village. When we returned the room had been tidied and the bed turned down! Amazing housekeeping service! At this point we were starving so we went downstairs to The Wine Room for dinner. Let me tell you, I have never had service anywhere like we got in this restaurant. Their number one concern was that we were completely satifsfied. The female server was incredible and took the time to explain everything we were ordering and made sure we were ok with everything it came with. I ordered the Albacore Tuna and my boyfriend ordered the steak. I never eat steak, I don't enjoy it, but I ate more of his steak then I did of my own dinner! It was the first time I've ever enjoyed a steak. It was delicious! We made sure to ask the waitress to let the kitchen know how great our food was. After dinner we ordered the Red Velvet Cake for desert and my boyfriend wanted to get some champagne after seeing the sommelier roll by with a bottle of Moet. When he came to our table with our bottle of Moet my boyfriend asked him if he knew what a specific bottle of champage was that they use to celebrate at the end of a Formula One race because he had never seen it before. By just describing what the bottle looked like and that it had an M on it the sommelier knew right away that it was Mumm and even said he had a bottle if my boyfriend wanted to see it. Well you should have seen the look on my boyfriends face, he was sooooo excited just to get to see the bottle in person. I have a picture, it was priceless. Then the two of them proceeded to chat about F1 for a few minutes. After dinner we hadn't finished our bottle of champagne so we asked the sommelier if there was any way possible we could take the bottle back to to our room. He said it was absolutely no problem, he would send the bottle of champagne up for us. We then moved over to the lounge and ordered a couple more cocktails and then decided to get a latte. My boyfriend doesn't like coffee so he asked the waitress to maybe add some more syrup or something to make it sweeter. She told him that she wasn't a big coffee drinker and that she would make the latte herself instead of the bartender so she knew for sure that it would be just right! When we got back up to our room the bottle of champagne was there, with a chiller, and even some strawberries! (I have to say it again, the service at this hotel was AMAZING) When we woke up the next morning we were not ready to leave at all! We called the concierge and they even let us push our check out back a couple of hours so we could stay and relax.

Thank you Fairmont Chateau Whistler for making our weekend completely unforgettable!!

-Two Very Satisfied Guests

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Gold Floor!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianneDH

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your experience with us. We really appreciate it!

We trust that we will see you at The Fairmont Chateau Whistler again.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Family of three, stayed on the gold floor. Excellent service couldn't have asked for any better.
Every question was answered promptly, our room was too small when we checked in. They accommodated us immediately and gave us the same room rate. Hotel was clean except for the pool area. They could use a lot more staff picking up the towels and all the paper cups that floated around the pool deck. Food was spectacular, children were treated so well. We will definitely stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor facing the forest. Quiet and dark, just the way we like it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
ChateauWhistler, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your outstanding experience with us on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to read your review. We appreciate your feedback with respect to our Pool Deck as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel was in a great location as it was only a 15 minute lovely walk into the main village of Whister so it was quiet but convenient. The hotel was attractive inside and out and the staff was wonderful. Anything you asked for they were prepared for or if they didn't know for sure whether they had something they would check it out and come back with it! The rooms were lovely. We had a back room so we had a beautiful view of Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The pillowtop mattress, comforter and pillows were to die for! If it wasn't for all the wonderful activities we had planned each day, I don't think we would have ever gotten out of bed! If I ever get to go back to Whistler, I would look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back for fabulous view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends