“Great Suite....Bad Bed”

Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
North Vancouver, Canada
“Great Suite....Bad Bed”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I booked a suite at the Pan Pacific for a wedding anniversary. I used the Expedia 'unpublished rates' site to book and was able to narrow down the amenities to know that it was definitely the Pan Pacific that I would get....for $20 less than the listed price.

First off, the good: it was during the off season, so we were able to check into our suite early...bonus points!!! The suite was well appointed with everything you need in the kitchen. It was a cozy room with a nice fireplace and faced away from the mountain (which was a good thing according to some of the other reviews about the noisy crowd that gets kicked out of the bars around 2am on the mountain side). The staff was extremely helpful and very polite...I have never had a quicker check-in and check-out. The bathroom was nice, huge soaker tub looked tempting.

The bad: the bed was TERRIBLE!!!! I know it said Murphy bed, but I was expecting the mattress to be at least half decent....I was wrong. Thankfully, we were only there for one night.

All in all, if you are opting for a nicer room without the Murphy bed, I am sure it is a great place to stay...otherwise, you could find better. The lack of sleep is not worth the great location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jhughes_mk
NLeddy, Manager at Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your review and choosing to stay with us. I am heartened to note that overall you were impressed with the hotels amenities and guest service and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. I deeply regret that you did not enjoy a restful night of sleep and I want to assure you that this is not a frequent comment regarding the comfort of our Murphy beds. I am confident that this is an isolated room where the mattress needs to be reviewed. So thank you for letting us know!

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can offer any future assistance.
Warmest Regards,
Nicole Leddy - Director of Rooms - nleddy@panpacific.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We spent 8 nights at the PanPacific Mountainside in early December for skiing. Excellent hotel right next to the Village Gondola and afterski pubs. We stayed in a Village view studio with a Murphy bed - seemed odd at first, but the Murphy bed was great as it gave us a lot of space in the room when 'folded up' - in addition to being very comfortable at night.
Neat kitchen with all amenities in the room, big closet, in-room safe handy, and romantic fireplace - everything seemed brand new. Room was immaculate every day we returned back from skiing!
We made plenty of use of the laundry in the hotel, coin-operated washers and dryers ($2 each). The two outdoor hot-tub perfectly located to view the last skiiers come down the mountain (would have been even better if there had been a little bar down by the hot-tubs though).
On our last day, we skiid all day and when we checked out in the morning, the hotel staff offered us to use the changing room facilities and showers in the hotel gym - it was very nice to be offered this without having to ask for it.
We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

NLeddy, Manager at Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you for staying with us and sharing your review with the travel community. I am very pleased that you were able to relax and enjoy all the amenities included when you stay at Pan Pacific Mountainside. I am also happy to hear that you found the Murphy bed comfortable and convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if I can assist in future.

Warmest Regards,
Nicole Leddy
Director of Rooms - Pan Pacific Whistler - nleddy@panpacific.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My husband and I are frequent visitors in Whistler, so we've stayed at most of the big hotels at one time or another. The Pan is, hands down, the best location and our number one choice if we can score a decent rate. We often get follow up offers directly from the hotel which bring us back again and again.

The pool area is nice, and if you are lucky enough to be there on a sunny afternoon in the spring or summer, there is no better place to watch the skiiers and bikers come down the hill.

No visit to the Pan is complete without an evening in the Dub Lihn Gate for salt and pepper wings and live music. The scene is lively without being obnoxious. Good fun.

Room Tip: Mountainside rooms are worth the extra $$ during late spring and summer.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank over40laidoff
Dear Guest, you're #1 to us too! Thank you for staying with Pan Pacific Mountainside and sharing your feedback with the travel community. Let us know when you're coming back and we'll save you a seat by the firepit at Dubh Linn Gate's newly renovated outdoor heated and convered patio. We look forward to next time!

At your service,
Nicole Leddy - -Director of Rooms - Pan Pacific Whistler - nleddy@panpacific.com
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed December 8, 2011

This hotel met and exceeded all our needs and expectations. We checked in for our room and because it was our anniversary we were provided a complimentary upgrade!!! AWESOME staff. Very friendly and helpful always smiling and saying hi when we entered the lobby. The rooms were very clean....I always check all the dishes before using them and they were all freashly washed...well done. Great service and location....this will be my new stop to stay in Whistler. Keep up the good work!!! And we will always highly recommend your hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for the positive praise from your recent visit to Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside. We will be sure to share your comments with the entire team. We strive to exceed our guest's expectaions and I know the team takes a measure of pride when we do. Thank you again.

Nicole Leddy - Director of Rooms - Pan Pacific Whistler - nleddy@panpacific.com
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have stayed at pretty much every resort, hotel, condo, you name it, within Whistler village as well as Blackcomb village, and this hotel has it all. The location is absolutely perfect. Ski out the door about 200 feet to the main gondola up Whistler mountain. Downstairs is a great Irish pub as well. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were tastefully decorated, the pool and hot tub over look the mountain... I can't rave enough about this place. We had a junior suite with murphy bed which left us a large room to entertain in during the day and a really comfortable bed at night. I was worried when they told me what kind of bed it was, but the 15" mattress and the solidly built bed itself took away all of my worries. A must stay in Whistler.

Room Tip: PLEASE spend a little extra and get a mountain side room. The views first thing in the morning are s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tdfitz
Dear Guest, we are so pleased to hear that Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside is now your hotel of choice when staying in Whistler. With our location directly beside both Whistler and Blackcomb gondolas and complimentary ski valet and storage, the Pan Pacific location is unparalled. Check out the view from our pool deck for the weekly Fire and Ice show every Sunday.

Thank you for sharing your review. We look forward to next time.
Nicole Leddy - Director of Rooms - Pan Pacific Whistler - nleddy@panpacific.com
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I live in Vancouver, and snowboard almost exclusively at Whistler Blackcomb. The mountains are second to none, and being so close to Vancouver, it's hard to go anywhere else.

And after a great day on the hills, it's hard to just pack it in and head home, knowing half the fun is in the apres :)

For the last 10 years or so, I've made a point of staying in Whistler with friends for ski weekends. I would estimate that I've stayed in 18 hotels in the village, north village, creekside, and upper village over the years.

this was my first time staying in the Pan Pacific Mountainside, and I must say, it was about time. Every time we came down the mountain, we'd look at the hotel and wish we could stay there, and enjoy the amazing hot tub that looks over the bustling village and the ski hills.

the service was superb, the room was beautiful and provided us with a kitchen (that came in handy when we came home after the bar and wanted food!). The location can't be beat.

we look forward to staying there again!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We usually stay at the Fairmont Chateau but we wanted to be closer to the Cornucopia functions so we picked the Pan Pacific Mountainside. It was very convenient. We had a one bedroom suite with a king sized bed. According to the front desk their sister hotel, Pan Pacific Whistler Centre, does not have king sized beds so be forewarned. The rooms are fine, although the bedroom was a bit on the small side. The only downside was the noise from the pool/hot tubs. The sound really carries so if you are 'early to bed' types you may want to be on the other side of the hotel. The staff are all very helpful and friendly and parking is the same cost whether you park your own vehicle or have it valet parked.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the pool/hot tub should be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple