“Beware of staying in the village”

Whistler Peak Lodge
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
victoria
“Beware of staying in the village”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I thought staying in the village would be great but it seems I was wrong. Crankfest was on and the village was crazy, I was kept up until 3 am with noisy folks leaving the bars. I need to emphasis this was not the fault of the hotel, we were warned that they really don't have any quiet rooms. The room was ok, we had a two bedroom with a loft and the layout was fine but the room was quite hot. It had a portable air conditioner in the living room which blocked access to one side of the dining table but it worked fine. The beds were fine but it all got missed in the noise of the night. I did find the hotel confusing to get into. You can't get there from here is the word of the day. Overall, I would not stay in the village again, but not beause of the hotel.

P.S. I thought the hotel smelt wierd. But my wife said I was nuts.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Surrey
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This is a great hotel don't get me wrong. We had too connecting rooms (for myself and my hisband and our two teenage boys) and they were both spacious with kitchens and dining tables. It's a great location right in the centre of Whistler but if I'd known Whistler is a party town that attracts, as we call them in the UK, stag and hen parties we would have stayed just outside the town. It's a beautiful spot and we loved our time there and all the activities we did (highlights being the ziptrek and the Peak 2 Peak) but we didn't get to sleep until between 2-3am any of the 3 nights we stayed because there was so much noise outside. It was hot when we were there and the air con was noisy so we tried it with the windows open but that was impossible due to the noise. I feel strongly that the hotels in the centre of Whistler should get together and stop the minority of selfish people (you know who you are) who insist on walking up nd down the town shouting and screaming at the tops of the voices at 3am when all the others who were out partying have called it a night. I am by no means a party pooper and can quite understand it if there's music going on or the bars were open, but these people were just walking around screaming on purpose to disturb others.
But please, I don't want to put people off going to Whistler because despite feeling slightly tired during the day we had a fab time there and the hotel staff were lovely.I would just make sure I stayed slightly outside the town itself next time (& there will be a next time).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2009

If the best thing to have in a property is location, location, location, this hotel has it. Further the front desk handled all our enquiries(and a plugged up toilet) with efficiency and a smile.
Whisler has become a mecca for the 20/30 something crowd. During the day all is busy but orderly. Restaurants and bar are on the pricey side, but the hotel boasts kitchenettes. The local small supermarket is fairly well stocked with prices about 20-30% than the coast.
At night, after the clubs close, there can be a lot of shouting and crude language. If you try to mute this by closing your window the air conditioning is noisy and still disturbs sleep. There are a nuber of opertunities for activities during the summer. Many bike enthusiasts like to ride to the top of the mountan with thier cycles and wend their way down over special trails. The peak-to-peak gondolas are pricey but an experience in themselves.
All in all, an extra long weekend well spent.
Tip- The sunspree often has mid-week specials during the summer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2009

I stay at this hotel EVERY April for the Telus World Ski & Snowboard Festival, and it's PERFECT every time. I usually drive to Whistler from Edmonton, AB with about 3-5 friends, and this has always been the most ideal accommodations. It's RIGHT in Whistler Village, which is perfect if you want to be right in the middle of the action (like we do) and you'll NEVER have to drive anywhere - everything is within walking distance.
The people at the front desk are always friendly and helpful and willing to answer our millions of questions. The rooms are wonderful. I don't know how anyone would need anything more. They have full kitchens incase you're on a bugdet and you want to make meals in your room. The loft suite that we usually get is amazing. SO roomy and comfortable for a 5 day stay.
The hotel doesn't have anything fancy in it (restaurant/stores/pool/spa)... But that's never been a priority for us. We want to enjoy the village - not sit in a hotel room. They offer underground parking for 15$ a day, and you seriously can just put your car in there and forget about it until you're leaving Whistler.
I haven't found a hotel in such a perfect location for such an affordable price either. I miss this place all year until I get to visit again.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank GoldyLox8
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We experienced the best skiing holiday ever in Whistler, our first time out of Europe and worth the extra spend.
The Holiday Inn's location is it's best point - 5 mins from the ski lifts (in ski boots!), in the village centre close to bars, restaurants and shops yet quiet most of the time.
Our room was a studio for 2, compact but perfectly designed with large wardrobe area, well equipped bathroom and main bedroom area with proper double bed, well designed kitchenette, TV & drawer units and fire. Individually controlled heating kept the room at a comfortable temperature and the only downside was a draughty window which also let in some late night revellers noise.
The hotel is quite large, over 6 floors with various wings and lifts which all led either to the lobby or directly out onto the plaza (village).

Tips:
Take your own coffee & tea as you only get 2 sachets per day
Buy bread, cereal, milk, OJ for breakfasts and save a fortune
Get your lift pass from your tour operator as they're cheaper than in resort
Read the free weekly Pique in resort newspaper for info, what's on and offers

Restaurant recommendations:
Earl's for ribs
Longhorn for mexican
Crystal Lounge for cheap pitchers and chicken wings
Old Spaghetti House for italian including salad/soup, icecream & coffee
Teppan Grill for japanese teppanyaki (pricey but worth it)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria
Reviewed February 25, 2009

We had booked a suite/loft with two bedrooms, a pull out couch, kitchen. Everyone in our group really had more than enough space and privacy in this large two level suite. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The walk to the slopes were ok just a little bit farther than some of the other hotels but this really wasn't even noticeable. Everything was really clean and the kitchen came in handy.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Location - Whistler BC - Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort.

Great hotel, good location within a 5 minute walk to the main chairlifts right in the main village.
Room was good had full kitchenette, whirlpool tub, electric fireplace and lots of extra pillows.
Room was clean and had lots of space to store my ski equipment.
Check in and check out was very quick and timely. Front desk staff very helpful at my check in for all questions I asked. Would stay here again in the future.

Would recommend this hotel for couples, and singles. Not good if your on a tight budget, but still good value vs. the prices of other hotels and resorts in the immediate area.

Negatives are that the lobby to the plaza level was very smelly, like fried chicken.
Rooms need to be more sound proof as lots of rowdy drunk children walking the village at all hours of the night. Then again that is what one should expect when you go to Whistler, BC.

• Liked — Kichen
  • Disliked — Elevator smelled like fried chicken.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank worldtravellers123