“Great Location - Ok Hotel”

Whistler Peak Lodge
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Seattle, WA
“Great Location - Ok Hotel”
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I was a bit nervous after reading other reviews, but I found the hotel to be OK. We really had no complaints about the staff, location or anything. Our biggest issue was the beds. They were AWFUL. We didn't sleep the first night at all. The second night we tried out the couch bed and it was better - which isn't saying much. The third night we tried the other double bed in the bedroom (yes, there are 2 beds in there and 1 blocks the closet) and it was better, but still sub-par. I did ask housekeeping if they had an egg crate or additional padding and he said no and offered me more sheets!

Maybe it was just our room (517) but still they need to change the mattresses. After a long day of skiing your body aches and to sleep on a crappy mattress just ruins it. Our backs were killing.

Oh yeah and the shower in our room was at the angle of the roof line so you had to bend over to shower. If you're tall, well its even more of a challenge. That was weird.

One last thing....we just wanted to relax and watch TV at night and the selection was bad. There were probably 20 channels and half were duplicates. You would see the same show 3 times while channel surfing. We decided they do it on purpose so you will spend the $13 to watch a movie in the room. :)

Would we stay here again? Possibly, if I was guaranteed that the mattresses were not junk.

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank jt4244

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Whistler vacation
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We arrived in Whistler expecting a world class ski resort.... Unfortunately, we were a little disappointed. We booked in for 2 weeks in the Sunspree Holiday Inn, and for the price we paid it was a great hotel. The studio rooms for two are on the smaller side but had a functional kitchen area that worked well. You do not get a dishwasher or washer dryer in these rooms, the storage space is very limited and we only had one window that opens about two inches!! We were hoping for a room with a balcony but we could not get one. I think the Americain/Canadian guests get preference on the bigger/better studios.

The hotel is prone to carry noise but the front desk have a zero tolerance policy to noisy guests. During our stay 3 rooms of british guests were ejected from the hotel after a warning for being too rowdy. However, you still hear people in adjacent rooms and in the corridors and people tend to be somewhat thoughtless, failing to remember that they may be leaving at 6am even if your not!

The cleaning of the rooms and common areas is second to none, they did our washing up every day and would leave tea bags, fresh coffee sachets for the coffee machine and hot chocolate. They also replaced dishcloths and teatowels daily. The reports of other reviews are still correct about bad food smells in certain places in the hotel from neighbouring resturants but they are in isolation and do not smell in corridors or rooms. The location to the lifts is great and a walk of 5 minutes in your ski boots. I stored all of my kit at the foot of the slopes for the 2 weeks and it cost me £40 which is worth every penny. The hotel will store kit for you, but for miminal hassle it's worth paying the storage fee.

The resort itself is set out with most hotels around the perimiter of the car free plaza and most of the resturants and shops mixed in. It is set out really well with the slopes coming in and leaving from one area. You can access both Whistler and Blackcombe mountains from the base of Whistler Village. I thought the village could get a bit too rowdy and seemed to be a magnet for groups of local lads, a few windows were broken over the weekends and I have never experienced this loutish feel in a ski resort before. The walkways to and from the lifts were not paid enough attention at times and became thick with ice patches and just a pain to walk in, you definately need sturdy old footware, my new boots are ruined.

I found a lack of grooming on the mountain a bit of a letdown as I like to ski on freshly groomed pistes or nice fresh powder, Blackcombe mountain definately appears to be left natural or even better left to turn into mogals . The grooming in general was also poor compared to other Canadian/American resorts.

Sunday night is Fire and Ice night where the ski school put on a show. For any resort it is an embarrassment but for a billion dollar resort such as Whistler it's an absolute joke. I wouldn't even waste your time.

We had a great time but I fail to see what all of the fuss is about. The last few things to mention are proberly the most important. Firstly expect lift lines, unlike other resorts over here you will have to queue, and not only first thing but at certain lifts it will be all day, the other thing is cost, it is not as cheap as you would expect Canada to be so bring plenty of cash. The mountains are great to explore and we had a great trip but I can't see myself returning.

Also, try the Mongolie Grill next to the hotel, it is a fab place to eat.

• Liked — Price and second to none housekeeping.
  • Disliked — Studio room smaller than expected with very limited storage.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chatsworth65
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 20, 2008

we were recommended this hotel by friends and we were not disappointed. We asked for a room on the 'quiet' side (section C) and a balcony and both requests were granted & with a smile!
The room was clean and had a kitchen which was fully functional. The room also had a w/machine and drier.
The hotel is about 10 min walking distance from the lifts.
The reception was very friendly and helpful. All in all , a good hotel , nothing fancy but all that is really needed on this type of holiday where you spend most of the day skiing.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England
Reviewed August 31, 2007

It was probably my fault. I expected Whistler to be a reasonably sophisticated place; say Banff or Jasper without the cars parked in the roads. As I found out to my cost, this is not the case; Canadians tell me that Whistler is now known as a ‘Party Town’, which is something completely different.

My wife and I made the mistake of staying here one Saturday in mid-August, and the streets were filled with groups of drunken, braying people roaming the streets until 4 am, the noise they made being almost equalled by the noise made by the people shouting at them to shut up so others could sleep.

So why have I awarded this hotel two stars? This is because the management responded to our complaints by cancelling all charges as we left the next day. This is obviously bad business for them, so perhaps something will be done about this problem. But we will never, ever, be returning to Whistler.

Stayed August 2007
23 Thank SouthOxon

Travelers are raving about these Whistler hotels

Pontlliw, Wales
Reviewed August 20, 2007

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Sunspree for three nights in August. The room was clean, very spacious and well equipped with a full kitchen. The location on 'Village Stroll' is excellent and the underground (pay) car park was very convenient. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, we arrived hours before the official check-in time but were given our room immediately. The only down side was late night noise from the revellers on the street outside (although it was a holiday weekend and we prefer to have the window open rather than rely on a/c so that's possibly a petty quibble).

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Brillo51
burnaby
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Stayed at the Holiday Inn in May 2007 and I must say that our stay, albeit too short, was absolutely phenomenal. My wife and I did not expect this at all and we strongly recommend this hotel to anyone going up to Whistler. The room we had was fully equipped and it fealt like we were staying at someone's condo rather that a hotel room, it even had a washer and dryer! The concierge service, which was handled by the front line, was very helpful although it was a bit difficult finding activities to do as it was definitely in between seasons. We ended up going on a ziptrecking expedition which was awesome. The only thing that was disappointing was the parking fee of 11 dollars per night, the rest of our stay was just excellent.

• Liked — room and service
  • Disliked — parking fee
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank custom07
leicester, england
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Stayed here for ten days Jan/Feb 07 as my brother was getting married at the Fairmont....We were very much on a budget so weren't sure what to expect. However we were very pleasantly suprised by our room.

With 2 of us it was spacious, with ample fully fitted out kitchen including washer/tumble dryer, fridgefreezer, oven, microwave and enough utensils etc.

Bed was queen or king, and bathroom standard modern hotel, though the bath had a whirlpool option -great after day on slopes (or day after wedding....).

The only negative points with room were lack of wardrobe (closet) space, and if the room was filled to capacity (4 people) it would have been very snug indeed.

However we thought it was great, and our room was better in terms of size/equipment then those we saw at more expensive hotels in the resort.

It was well placed just 5 minutes max walk to either whistler or blackcomb lifts, and although in centre of vilage we had no noise issues. Would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple