“Very old, very tired” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Alberta
“Very old, very tired”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

Stayed here for a wedding. Our mattresses must have been from 30 years ago - soft, lumpy, terrible sleep. Check in was painful, the fellow was clueless.. Rooms are a good size but horribly outdated. During the week, there is a good breakfast deal and the daily specials in the evening are also good but service is hit or miss, depending on your server. Excellent in the evening but bit of a bi*ch in the morning. Only advantages - cheap rate for the wedding and there is a Starbucks right across the street in the mall. And full of young hockey players, most of whom were polite.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank redhead44Alberta
villagegreenhotel, General Manager at Village Green Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
While we try to make every stay for our guests a positive one, we cannot do our job to your satisfaction when you don't mention our perceived shortcomings while you are in-house. It is only when we understand where we lack that we can adequately address the issues at hand.

Unfortunately anonymous reviews being subjective, give an overall impression that may, in fact, not be true. While you were staying with us we were in the midst of a million dollar upgrade, already having installed a new elevator, new bathrooms throughout, and with more updates to come, thus addressing our "tired" image. Any complaint of unsatisfactory service etc. would likely have netted a rate reduction or complimentary stay with profuse apologies. Keep in mind, our room rate is spectacular to begin with. All we needed to know was that there was a problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot make right an anonymous complaint, nor can I adequately correct the problem since I don't even know what room you stayed in.

With apologies,

Robert Glattfelder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

Completly disgusting. Heed the warning of the decay in the building. Seriously, when I first pulled in I was mortified at the condition of the exterior. I then went to the front desk which was actually not too bad, nor were the front desk staff(I decided to still check-in as I did have a reservation. Thats where "not too bad ended". The interior, halls and room were a disaster. The smell in the room was horrid as was the general makeup. There is no casino ( not that I really cared) and what I saw on the internet of the coutyard pool was a laugh. We had dinner with a friend who lives in Vernon and when we told him where we were staying he shivered. Hopefully I can save whoever is reading this from a very memorable night....( not a good one). The worst hotel I have EVER stayed in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sosehaku
villagegreenhotel, General Manager at Village Green Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2010
I fail to understand why you would wait 2 full months to complain about your stay in July, and then use an anonymous forum to do so?

I'm not sure why you would use unecessary, imflamatory language to characterize the condition of our hotel. The hotel may be dated, but to characterize it as decaying is not accurate in the least! Quite frankly our rates reflect this fact. We have the best hotel rates in the region!

Unfortuantely there are times when previous and/or current guests engage in activities that can compromise our usual high standards for care. Had you made mention of any of your concerns re: smell or any other discomfiture to any of our hotel staff, we would have gladly upgraded your stay to better accommodate your expectations.

Having said that, I fail to understand how the hotel with the number 1 liquor store in Vernon, arguably the best Sports Bar in Vernon, and some of the best food served in this City can be characterized by a resident friend of yours as "shivering" when our hotel is mentioned. I dare say you would have a difficult time to find better in this city.

Had you mentioned any of your concerns to my front desk staff, we would have bent over backwards to accommodate you.........because that is what we do. Our customers are our #1 concern. In fact we likely would have comped your stay if it was as bad as you suggest!

Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

Myself, my husband and our two boys 6 & 3 travelled to Vernon for two nights. The first night we booked into the Holiday Inn but they were fully booked for the second night. We thought we would try the Village Green. I've been by many times in my travels to Vernon but never thought to stop in. After checking out the reviews on this site I was surprised it was rated #4 just because of the outer appearance of the hotel. I booked with a fully open mind and I should have stayed somewhere else.
The hotel lobby is nicely renovated and might fool you into thinking you're in a quality hotel. The check in went smoothly. The minute I got into the elevator I was hit by the smell of cigarette smoke. We travelled tot the VERY outdated third floor. We got a "mountain view" room that only has a view of the huge pine tree outside the window and the glow from the Petro Can sign across the street. I was still open minded though. The room was decent size. We headed down to the pool which was the jewel of the stay. Nice pool and hot tub. Turned in for the night. Bed was comfy but the noise from the street very loud.
Went to have a shower the next morning to find a several short curly hairs (not ours) stuck to the walls and in the soap dish. My mind is closing now.
We went to the 27th Street Grille for breakfast. Incredibly overpriced for what you get. $11 for eggs benny! My husband had the breakfast buffet which was decent for $12. Ordered the kids meals and received pancakes that were still raw inside.
Checked out and must say we all agreed not to return again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Chichikoko
VANCOUVER, BC.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

Thirty years ago, this was one of "the" places to stay so I thought I'd give it a try. The hotel was average and the was certainly in a price rage that was reasonable. As a heads-up - the Casino has moved about 3-blocks away to a larger space.

The entrance to the hotel does not have automatic doors and can be a bit challenging to negotiate with luggage or for someone who's physically challenged. The lobby is large but austere and so much more could be done with this space. The name "Village Green" seems to originate from it's treed courtyard which could decorated with exterior lighting to enhance it as the focal point it was undoubtedly intended to be.

The service at the front desk was very good and the staff were both friendly and efficient.

As hotels in Vernon go, there's not a lot of choices and this one is somewhat challenged by it's dated interior. There is a faint (but noticeable) old-tobacco smell in the air (read that as likely emanating from the walls and carpets) and fresh paint & new carpets would go along way to help resolve this.The ceilings in the hallway are noteably lower than normal with thick-stucco texturing (way cool in the 70's but now - not so much). The rooms also seem to be a bit "yester-year" with fixtures in need of remodelling. The bed was HARD and a bit challenging to sleep on and the water pipes were quite "audible". The water pressure in the shower seemed to fluctuate as did the temperature.

On a bright note, the hotel's restaurant and sports bar were both excellent! I was told that there are plans by the owner to renovate and if they do the same for the rooms as they've done for the restaurant & bar then I would happily return to this hotel.

So, if you're on a modest budget, don't mind a harder bed then this may be the hotel for you!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed in room 621 on June 19 and 20th. The rooms were clean and large. Wifi was free. Microwave and fridge in the room. Air conditioning was good, but was noisy in my friend's room (623). Friendly staff.The restaurant was slow and pokey and the breakfast was so-so. I paid $118, tax included, for an upgraded room. I have no complaints at all. The casino, however is no long adjacent to the hotel. It moved to a new building about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

We spent one night at the Village Green Hotel in August 2008. We got what they call the “apartment suite.” It had a separate bedroom that was very large with a queen sized bed, dressers, a closet and patio. You had to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. It had a good sized living room with two couches& another balcony. There was a t.v. in the bedroom and also one in the living room. There was a small kitchen with a small fridge, microwave and utensils. The pool was really nice , it was about 8 ft. deep at the one end. There was also a really hot hot-tub and a sauna. The pool area was kept very clean. Actually, everything was very clean and comfortable throughout the whole hotel. There is also a casino in the hotel & a restaurant which had really good food. Overall the experience there was really good.

• Liked — It was close to the waterslides, and had a casino and restaurant on site
  • Disliked — There was no elevator to the 2nd floor, only stairs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
villagegreenhotel, General Manager at Village Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
General Manager's note:

The pictures in this review were submitted long before the Village Green Hotel has undergone extensive renovations. These pictures do not reflect the Village Green Hotel's property accuarately. Please click on our website link for current hotel images.

red deer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for my moms 50th birthday. The rooms were huge! My mom had a suite and we also had the 2 rooms next to hers and there were doors adjoining all the rooms.
All the rooms we had, had balconys.
The rooms were very clean,
Customer service was great. We had no problems
There is a casino and a sports bar attached to the hotel.
The casino was very nice.
The sports pub had good live music.

• Liked — The big rooms and the balconys
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family