“An Okay Stay - but the Casino is gone & updates are needed....”

Village Green Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
VANCOUVER, BC.
“An Okay Stay - but the Casino is gone & updates are needed....”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Thirty years ago, this was one of "the" places to stay so I thought I'd give it a try. The hotel was average and the was certainly in a price rage that was reasonable. As a heads-up - the Casino has moved about 3-blocks away to a larger space.

The entrance to the hotel does not have automatic doors and can be a bit challenging to negotiate with luggage or for someone who's physically challenged. The lobby is large but austere and so much more could be done with this space. The name "Village Green" seems to originate from it's treed courtyard which could decorated with exterior lighting to enhance it as the focal point it was undoubtedly intended to be.

The service at the front desk was very good and the staff were both friendly and efficient.

As hotels in Vernon go, there's not a lot of choices and this one is somewhat challenged by it's dated interior. There is a faint (but noticeable) old-tobacco smell in the air (read that as likely emanating from the walls and carpets) and fresh paint & new carpets would go along way to help resolve this.The ceilings in the hallway are noteably lower than normal with thick-stucco texturing (way cool in the 70's but now - not so much). The rooms also seem to be a bit "yester-year" with fixtures in need of remodelling. The bed was HARD and a bit challenging to sleep on and the water pipes were quite "audible". The water pressure in the shower seemed to fluctuate as did the temperature.

On a bright note, the hotel's restaurant and sports bar were both excellent! I was told that there are plans by the owner to renovate and if they do the same for the rooms as they've done for the restaurant & bar then I would happily return to this hotel.

So, if you're on a modest budget, don't mind a harder bed then this may be the hotel for you!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed in room 621 on June 19 and 20th. The rooms were clean and large. Wifi was free. Microwave and fridge in the room. Air conditioning was good, but was noisy in my friend's room (623). Friendly staff.The restaurant was slow and pokey and the breakfast was so-so. I paid $118, tax included, for an upgraded room. I have no complaints at all. The casino, however is no long adjacent to the hotel. It moved to a new building about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We spent one night at the Village Green Hotel in August 2008. We got what they call the “apartment suite.” It had a separate bedroom that was very large with a queen sized bed, dressers, a closet and patio. You had to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. It had a good sized living room with two couches& another balcony. There was a t.v. in the bedroom and also one in the living room. There was a small kitchen with a small fridge, microwave and utensils. The pool was really nice , it was about 8 ft. deep at the one end. There was also a really hot hot-tub and a sauna. The pool area was kept very clean. Actually, everything was very clean and comfortable throughout the whole hotel. There is also a casino in the hotel & a restaurant which had really good food. Overall the experience there was really good.

• Liked — It was close to the waterslides, and had a casino and restaurant on site
  • Disliked — There was no elevator to the 2nd floor, only stairs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
villagegreenhotel, General Manager at Village Green Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
General Manager's note:

The pictures in this review were submitted long before the Village Green Hotel has undergone extensive renovations. These pictures do not reflect the Village Green Hotel's property accuarately. Please click on our website link for current hotel images.

Robert Glattfelder
Village Green Hotel
red deer
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for my moms 50th birthday. The rooms were huge! My mom had a suite and we also had the 2 rooms next to hers and there were doors adjoining all the rooms.
All the rooms we had, had balconys.
The rooms were very clean,
Customer service was great. We had no problems
There is a casino and a sports bar attached to the hotel.
The casino was very nice.
The sports pub had good live music.

• Liked — The big rooms and the balconys
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Ogmore-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Location: Fine. Situated just off a busy main road, in walking distance of the shops, restaurants and bars.

Room: OK. Clean, comfortable, big beds, well equipped, tea/coffee etc. Pleasantly furnished although a little dated. Big clean bathroom. Spacious balcony overlooking the main area of the town. Great double glazing which kept the road noise out.

Facilities: Good. Great restaurant serving a wide selection of tasty meals and the breakfast was excellent! Nice pool with relaxing jacuzzi and sauna. Friendly service.

Overall: Nice hotel with everything you need. Could do with a lick of paint in some places, but generally good value for money. The hotel is very popular with large tour groups passing through.

• Liked — Comfort and convenience
  • Disliked — A little outdated
  • Stayed August 2005
British Columbia
Reviewed May 29, 2007

As a family of 5, staying in 2 separate rooms, we have just returned from spending the previous weekend at the Vernon Village Green Hotel & Casino. Rather outdated for it's cost, things were nonetheless fairly clean and comfortable at the hotel except for several incidents related to extremely unacceptable customer service.

We had originally booked the hotel in January (the lady accepting our reservation was wonderful and very helpful) and made it very clear that we would be a large group of several children's baseball teams (all children accompanied by parents, of course.) Several times, as we walked through the hotel as a group, we were harassed by a VERY grumpy manager who informed us that if things were not to quiet down, the front desk would be calling our room. Our children were simply chatting. Not running, not yelling and definately not at all misbehaving. I wonder what the manager expects when a group of 20 people walks through, regardless of their age. I have to ask if he would have treated a group of 20 adults the same way.

What truly prompted me to write this review (as this is the first one I have ever written) is what happenned upon returning home from the hotel. I had left my Visa with the front desk upon check-in as they had informed me that they required this as a deposit. Fair enough, I thought nothing of this. Upon check-out, my mother went down and paid for her room (with her own Visa) and I went down and paid for mine (on my debit card). End of
story? Apparantly not. Today I looked at my Visa account to find out that they had charged my mom's room to my card. When I called them to straighten everything out and request my card be credited, they informed me that my mother had checked out any not made any payment on her room at all. Very strange, I explained to her, as my mother's receipt states that she has indeed paid for her room by Visa. Upon explaining this to the lady I spoke with (Freida), she simply reiterated that my mother checked out and made no payment at all. Nothing like being called a liar after spending over $400.00 plus meals for 2 nights in a dwelling really not worth that much. As it stands now, Freida requests that I must fax over a copy of my mom's receipt (that the hotel provided but somehow has no record of) before anything will be done.

I must say that this is completely unacceptable bookkeeping and service. I understand that mistakes can be made but to call a person a liar after taking their money twice - and then making that person go to great lengths to prove their honesty is a terrible way to treat a customer. Needless to say, we will not be staying at the Village Green again, nor will we be recommending it to anyone. If you decide to stay here, keep a close eye on your credit card!

• Liked — Nothing, as unfortunately, the bad overshadowed the good.
  • Disliked — Being double-charged and then called a liar when I tried to request my money back (request denied, I am STILL working on this!)
  • Stayed May 2007
4 Thank RHDale
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

We've stayed here a number of times over the years, most recently in Dec 2005 for 4 days. This hotel originally had a spanish style popular in the 70's. Its rooms have been updated periodically, standard motel fare and the ones we've stayed in are somewhat tired. Housekeeping is fine. The rooms around the courtyard can be noisy, mainly from noise coming through from the halls. Staff has always been accomodating. Asked for the tower (6 or 7 floors) this time, which was quieter although only a few of the rooms on the floor were occupied. The one elevator was always there when we wanted it. Restaurant is good coffee shop with very professional staff, they frequently are so busy they are barely keeping up. Pool is fine, nothing inspiring. There is a casino which we don't use and the hotel likes to attract bus tours. We've stayed in number of places in Vernon and they are all of a motel class. Holiday Inn is the newest and Prestige Inn is also more recent. We'll come back to the Village Green or Vernon Lodge periodically, because none of these other places stand out any better and the Village Green is frequently $10 -15 less a night. A number of places at Silver Star are in a different league, newer and much more tastefully decorated - expect to pay twice as much per night during ski season, not sure about the off season.

• Stayed December 2005