“Horrible”

Super 8 Vernon BC
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
“Horrible”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived the front desk lady was miserable. I was quoted 109 for each night but when I checked in it was changed to 131 a night. The owners accused me of smoking in the room even though I dont smoke and the room smelled liked it the first time we walked in. The housekeeping knocked on the door at 9AM the first morning. I told them I would be out in ten minutes. They Never returned to clean the room the first day of our three day stay. Ive stayed in many hotels in the past working on the road and this is the worst experience I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Keegan H
Raj S, General Manager at Super 8 Vernon BC, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am extremely disappointed that these individuals decided to fabricate a story. I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight so current and prospective customers are not misled by incorrect information.

These gentlemen made a reservation on Aug 22 for their 3-night stay for Friday (Aug 23), Saturday (Aug 24), and Sunday (Aug 25). The RACK rate was $145, $145, and $109, respectively. They were given a 10% discount for each night, bringing their rates to $130.50, $130.50, and $98.10.

They checked in on Aug 23 at 3:26 pm for a 3-night stay at our hotel. Our friendly guest service representative, Rita, called the guests at 3:45 pm (no answer) and again at 6:19 pm (no answer) to ensure that they were properly settled in and found everything to be okay in the room. It is our hotel’s policy to perform courtesy calls shortly after a guest checks in to make sure that they find everything okay in the room. In the evening, when the gentlemen were exiting the lobby, Rita checked with them to make sure they were satisfied with their room, to which they replied, “It’s great, thanks.” If they were concerned about a smoky smell in the room, they would have reported it immediately, especially after knowing that our establishment is 100% non-smoking and there is a penalty for smoking in guest rooms. They had signed a form stating that they agreed to refrain from smoking in the rooms and balconies.

The next day, on August 24, when the housekeeper attempted to go into the room to provide service, they denied it. In fact, I find it very amusing that these gentlemen claim that our housekeepers knocked on their doors at 9 am to provide service. The housekeeper that was assigned to their room does not begin work until 9 am, and stayover rooms are not serviced until later in the morning (to provide undisturbed sleep and privacy for those customers who wish to start their days a little bit later).

On August 25, when the housekeeper went to service their rooms, she was blown away by the gust of marijuana smell that hit her as soon as she stepped into the room. She immediately called her co-housekeeper, the guest service representative, and the on-site owners, and everyone was in agreement that marijuana was taken into the room. There were even cigarette ashes on the balcony!

Once again, I would like to express my disappointment at these individuals for blaming my staff on a public platform to cover up for their senseless acts. I hope readers understand that we are dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to our valued guests.

Raj Sood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chilliwack
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Unusual for us, we arrived at a destination without reservations, so stopped at this property. I was not impressed. We were unable to try the breakfast as it ends too early for those on leisure schedles. The pillows were terrible, the beds rock hard, and the towels thin and scratchy. We stopped here because the hot tub was advertised on the roadside sign, and in pain, I needed it for relief. Unfortunately, one look at the stained ring above the water line and I decided not to attempt it. Should have checked it out before we checked in. I realize this is high season, however, the price paid did not reflect the property value. Sorry to say, after this first experience, we will likely stay away from Super 8's in the future.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Raj S, General Manager at Super 8 Vernon BC, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I am sorry that you did not have a good experience of staying with us at Super 8 Vernon. Our hot continental breakfast is operational from 6 am until 9:30 am, and we have found that this time frame is optimal for both corporate and leisure customers. Also, we are in the process of changing all in-room beddings and draperies and this project should be completed shortly. The ring line in the hot tub that you mention is simply a water mark. The water in the hot tub is tested regularly to ensure that it is sanitized and balanced with the correct chemicals. I hope that you give us another opportunity to be of service to you and I assure you that your next experience at the Super 8 Vernon will be better than your last one.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We always stay here when we are in Vernon. It isn't glamorous but it is clean and quite adequate for what we needed. The staff were friendly as usual although we did have a few check-in glitches. They changed our online room to a room that was under construction which they quickly remedied. And they lost our file the next day so they didn't realize we were staying a second night which they rectified. Other than that, service was good and it was a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the slight mixups you experienced but am glad that we were able to address the issues immediately. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!