“An unfortunate experience”

Italian Kitchen
Ranked #40 of 221 Restaurants in Vernon
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a well established Italian restaurant that has been in operation for the last 21 years. We focus on local wines but have a nice selection of new and old world wines as well. The atmosphere is casual upbeat and friendly.
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I decided to go for a nice lunch and chose The Italian Kitchen thinking it would be a nice, relaxing and cozy place. We had been there before for dinner (many months ago) and liked the atmosphere, décor, and the food. We entered the restaurant to find that there was only one other couple (it was 1:15 pm) there, and it felt very cold inside. The server and someone else (owner?) proceeded to tell us that we could still have lunch but that they were closing at 2:00 to get ready for a busy evening. Against our better judgement, we stayed and were seated. The server had her winter coat on and apologized for wearing it saying she was freezing. We tried taking our jackets off, but it was really cold in the building. I ordered a latte, but the 'machine was broken', so we both ordered regular coffee. The coffee was barely warm and tasted weird (bleachy and old). She was making a fresh pot of coffee for the other couple, so we topped up ours with the fresh coffee, but even the new pot was barely warm and had a strange taste. I ordered minestrone soup which was okay (just warm), but the focaccia bread that came with it was stale and stone cold. It had grill marks on it, but it must have been grilled earlier as it was too cold to have been just grilled. My husband had their daily soup/sandwich special - roasted red pepper soup, and grilled prime rib/cheese on rye bread. He said the soup was okay, but his sandwich was burnt on one side and very greasy, and he said there was a bad taste, like something was off. He said the soup was okay. The service was good, but the experience has definitely put us off this restaurant.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed in Vernon for a couple of nights and had the Italian Kitchen recommended to us. Nice setting and food was good- especially the tomato and artichoke salad- but our waitress was horrible. She looked completely uninterested in being there and I had to ask the lovely girl who was topping up our water to get someone to come and take our order for appetizers. When we were paying, the other couple and myself had discussed the tip and were not going to give 15% due to the service but still wanted to leave something due to the quality of the food. However, the waitress hovered right over the shoulder and watched what we were typing in (I watched her do it as the other person paid- she was not even subtle about it). Very uncomfortable and rude. Won't be going back as there are other good Italian restaurants in Vernon!!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We made a reservation to celebrate a birthday.
Menu is limited, but the atmosphere was comfortable, and service was very good.
No bread while waiting for appetizer... What Italian Restaurant doesn't service crusty bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dipping??? You could order bread, but it was an extra cost.
We can highly recommend the warm seafood salad as an appetizer. It was a large portion and even though it was a black bean warm sauce which we thought was different for an Italian dish, it was very tasty with the seafood and roasted vegetables, greens were excellent.
I had the pesto, which tasted good, but it was $17.95 for what I consider a small portion based on other Italian Restaurants. My husband had the Chicken Cacciatore. Tasty, but the bones needed to be removed as you ate. Would have been nice it the bones had been removed. Again value was not comparable to other Italian Restaurants.
We ordered Tiramisu for desert. I have to say that this was not Tiramisu but cake. I don't think there were any lady fingers in it and it lacked the coffee taste. Tiramisu was very disappointing, so we won't be ordering this again.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Passing through Vernon & walked in off the street for a quick lunch before browsing The Book Nook a few doors down (one of the best used book stores in the Interior!) and were pleasantly surprised by the excellence of the food. We ordered several pasta dishes & salad; fresh, nicely prepared & very tasty.

Service was a bit lackadaisical, but reasonably prompt & helpful. We were in & out in under an hour, which was good because we were rather on the move that day.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I recently stumbled upon the Italian Kitchen in Vernon BC.
What a pleasant surprise. The food was great, as was the service and the atmosphere.
The menu prices are very reasonable and the wine selection was quite good.
We are pleased to recommend this restaurant and we will certainly be back.