“An Icon in the making”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Clinton, Canada
“An Icon in the making”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We spent two nights at this resort on a couple’s package which included accommodation, breakfast, a welcoming cocktail, dinner both nights at their restaurant and two $150 vouchers for the spa. Priced at $980 this was very good value – get it while you can!
As pointed out in past TripAdvisor reports on the Sparkling Hills Resort, there is work to be done on smoothing out some of the operational aspects, but let’s not dwell on that, they will surely be put right, let’s look at the positives.
The positives include a wonderful staff who are doing a fine job , even when things do not flow as smoothly as they should; the resort is built to high quality standards with attention paid to detail; the spa is quite unique, especially the sauna and pool sections with the -110C sauna in a class of its own; the location lends itself to participation in many other interests, the views across the lake being spectacular; the bedrooms, like the rest of the facilities, are first class and judging from the two dinners we had, the resort has a very good chef overseeing the kitchen.
So, take in the overall experience and see the humour in the little things that get left undone, my wife and I enjoyed our two nights at the Sparkling Hills Resort and will plan to return.
PS I do not suppose the General Manager sees the humour in the “little things left undone” :0) – so he will no doubt continue the process of putting that right.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NormD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I have to say that after reading some of the previous average reviews, I was a little bit apprehensive about what to expect, as I was booking this for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. However, right from the time we were approaching the resort, driving up the mountain, seeing the massive resort, literally on the top of the mountain, we clearly felt the anticipation of the start of an amazing journey. Walking through the front entrance, the views and the cascading crystals was breathtaking. After a warm welcome and being offered by the Valet to park our car and take our luggage, he escorted us up to an amazing room on the 3rd Floor, facing the Lake (highly recommend the Lake side). He went through all the amenities in the room, went back downstairs and took care of our car. We then went downstairs to the spa front desk and was given a complete, thorough tour of the facilities with recommendations on treatments and some history of the location, the artwork, and the owners. After getting settled in the amazing room, great king bed and linens, 2 person tub in front of floor to ceiling windows, with a sliding door that opens up completely, heated floors, walk through shower, crystal glowing fireplace, we went down for dinner in Peakfine Restaurant. We had dinner 2 nights here and both 3 course meals were absolutely delicious, 5 star dining, complements to the chef..spectacular! Also, the breakfasts were to die for.
The Robes and slippers in the room were the main dress for most of the 3 day stay. The hotel rooms section had its own elevator to access the Spa facilities, which was so nice, as it was like living in your own world, no where near the main reception and restaurant areas of the hotel. The facilities are nothing short of spectacular...Huge outdoor infinity pool that overlooks the lake and mountains and a perfect sunset. Inside, another huge infinity pool with an amazing huge hot tub. The Steam and Sauna rooms are to die for. We had never seen so many, so unique steam and sauna rooms anywhere like this. Not to mention the Serenity Room (Insane view) Tea Room (so relaxing), Gym (amazing-didnt use it...ha ha),

We signed up for the Si Si couples treatment/massage. An amazing Milk/honey infused bath followed by a 30 minute massage for two. I highly recommend it, the massage therapists did a fantastic job and made the experience very comfortable and enjoyable for me and my wife.

My wife then went for a manicure and pedicure, which again, was amazing.
The staff were kind enough to bring a bottle of champagne for us and took care of me in the tea room, and my wife in the beauty center.

The entire facility was operating to perfection and we had plenty of time to explore and experience the entire resort. On the final day, checkout was at 11am, and we were encouraged by staff to stay until 6pm and use the facilities....so we did!

At the end of our stay, the valet brought up our car, luggage already in the trunk, turned over the keys, and away we went, our journey was complete.

This was an amazing stay. We left completely relaxed, and wanting more....

We will definitely make a point to return before year end and make this a permanent get away spot at least twice a year.

Kudos, Sparkling Hill.....well done!

Bill and Prudence
Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My husband and I have eaten here a couple of times since the resort opened ('Peakfine' Restaurant), and we have nothing but rave reviews. The food is original and absolutely delicious, staff were courteous and prompt, and the price for the meal was outstanding. The chef even came out to talk with us after our meal - what a wonderful surprise!
We have eaten in fabulous restaurants all over the world, and this ranks with the best of them. I absolutely recommend this restaurant, and I think with some time the resort will iron out its little kinks that people have been complaining about (it opened in May 2010). I see no reason not to go here and have the best food you will have in the Okanagan, if not even BC!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My family (parents, siblings and two young kids) planned a weekend getaway to celebrate several summer birthdays. We'll start with the positives:

- Food: we're vegetarian and often have a hard time finding great food on the road. The executive chef, Ross Dereck, did not dissapoint! He took our requests as a creative challenge and we were beyond thrilled with the results. It was as good, if not better, than the Lumiere vegetarian tasting menu! Plus he's focused on finding the best quality local and organic ingredients so we were able to have a real taste of the valley.

- Saunas: included in the price of the room is access to 7 sauna. Each was unique and stunning in design and utility. Our favorites were the colder sauna with the mint essence, the black rock and roll sauna and the salt sauna that looked like superman's north pole get-away.

- The views: our rooms were facing the lake and were stunning! Each room had a crystal shaped bathtub that was facing the water, so you could relax and bathe while watching ospreys soar over the mountains and lakes.

- Spa treatments: we all booked massages and had mixed experiences. My massage, by Melissa, was amazing, but some of my family felt a little dissapointed. We did the cold cold sauna. It was an experience to say the least. My husband lasted the full 3 mins, and I only stayed for 1.5 mins, but we both felt the lasting benefits (reduced joint pain and lots of energy) for the rest of the day

the negatives:
- Service: there wasn't a proper valet to help with our bags and the desk staff was a little distracted

- Family friendly: we were asked a couple of times to keep our kids more contained, so it's not super young kid friendly. I'd go back with just my husband, but would leave the kids at home.

- Yoga: we were told we could drop in on the yoga, but when we arrived for class early the next morning, we found that we had to book it the night before and there was no-one there.

All-in-all it was a great experience, with the positives outweighing the negatives. We left with a very good taste in our mouths.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2010

MY fiance & i never stayed at this resort as we had read the reviews before hand, but we did book a meal in the restaurant only to be very disapointed...the location is a blot on the landscap & it sticks out like a sore thumb..but the views are spectacular...but it feels very unfinished..for example there are no tables & chaires on the patio for you to enjoy a drink or cup of tea,while taking in the views a lot of people are just walking in to view the place & thats why there is no where to park when you are a guest ..so much for valet parking which you would expect with a resort like this
the restaurant staff were very good,the food was nice that we had,if you could find it on the plate ...i had scallops with bacon & it was 1 scallop & a very miniscule piece of bacon...so the menu should have said SCALLOP..the portions are very disapointing & the food is not 5 star,but you are paying 5 star prices
i would not recomend anyone to go there until things improve unless you like to be ripped off ..in which case fill your boots

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy045_10
Okanagan
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We booked one night with spa treatments for our tenth anniversary. The first 3 hours in the pool we were thinking of all the friends and relatives who would enjoy it. Once we got to the restaurant, though, everything and I mean everything went to the dogs. The hostess forgot to write down our reservations--we actually waited 1 and1/2 hours to be served our entree. Dinner rolls were very stale. Cream and sugar for coffee were not forthcoming with coffee but were begrudgingly served only after asking two waiters. Breakfast was bad too. After booking a week in advance on a few hours notice the spa cancelled our treatment and didn't seem to think that some sort of complementary treatment could have been arranged. Come back tomorrow was what we were told. Also the feature "cold sauna" was out of service. No-one explained this, had they we might not have booked our stay. After a repeated disasters we ran down to the desk, I cancelled any tips on my bill and we got out of there as fast as we could. No-one at this hotel deserves any gratuities. Actually if they followed their own rules they should have paid us for their cancellation. We left early as soon as we could get out of there. I will never go back--and I might make it my life mission to make people aware of what a horrible experience we had.

4 Thank Ramlin_B
Vancouver
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I just visited the newly opened Sparkling Hill this past weekend (june 18 - 20). Although we enjoyed our time, here are a few things you should know:

By all accounts, Sparkling Hill's physical attributes are stunning - it's views, the physical building, the $10 million worth of crystals adorning the property, the spa, and some of the interior design. But, it appears the hotel may have opened too soon. The staff--although earnest and eager--haven't been trained properly in the art of delivering 5-star service. As a result, the luster of this sparkling resort quickly wears off, taking down to the level of a 2 or 3 star, which is a strange juxtaposition against the high-end elegance exuded in every part of the building and hotel's concept.

Good Things
- the $10 million worth of gorgeous crystals strewn throughout the facility, in every detail (from chandeliers, to large-scale room features, to embedded in bed-side tables)
- location, location, location
- outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan
- high-end pool loungers (adjust to any angle pneumatically)
- the plentiful marmots roaming the land surrounding the resort
- diamond-shaped tub-for-two overlooking Lake Okanagan
- spacious rooms
- robes and spa slippers in the room ( I love and expect this )
- included breakfast
- the deserts and some of the dinner selections (which change every night) in peak fine restaurant
- included steam rooms + experience showers
- giant, yet intimate spa facilities
- the extensive walking trails
- included wireless
- pets are allowed for $25/day, but you'll need to stay in a standard, mountain view room (which also provide nice views)

Needs Improvement
- reservation system is odd, the hotel couldn’t find my reservation when I provided the number
- when you reserve, you get a confirmation email, but no confirmation of your package details and no follow-up to book dinner or spa
- when I sent an email to reservations once I booked my getaway, I asked for two spa treatments and a dinner reservation. The spa treatments were booked, but I was told I had to call the restaurant to reserve dinner, which is something that should have been taken care of for me (and I once again requested over email they reserve for me)
- when I asked for a half-hour late check-out, it was as if the hotel had never dealt with that request
- book your spa and dinner reservation in advance
- breakfast was sub-par, I'm sure the staff put a lot of work into preparing the food, but the pastries were tasteless and dense, and the eggs chewy yet runny
- breakfast is also seat-yourself, but there's no signs to indicate this...
- don’t sleep with the windows open, mosquitoes will find your ears, ahhhh
- staff training, for a hotel part of the Prestigious Preferred Resorts & Hotels Group, staff required additional training
- no bell-hop or door person to help with bags
- no spa supervision at night (and with a facility SO big, that's weird and unsafe)
- bed sheets feel like burlap, maybe a few more washes will make them softer?
- doors are not very soundproof, so try and book a room at the end of the hall, not near elevator
- no coffee makers in rooms

A final word. I would not say that Sparkling Hill is a young family-friendly getaway spot. What I mean by this is, it's not the kinda place where you bring your 3 toddlers... I've never been bothered by kids at a resort before, but it's just not the place for young kids. Rather it's perfect for ladies getaways, couples retreats, guys Predator Ridge getaways and even family getaways (which involve people 19 and up).

I would recommend the hotel once the hotel has been open for a little longer. Overall, it was wonderful, it will just take some time to fully mature into it's beauty.

4 Thank tripstyler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#5 of 20 in Vernon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!