“Over the top amazing”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I travel a lot for business and therefore stay in a variety of hotels and this one is my absolute favorites. I am not a spa gal and definitely my husband is not a spa guy, but we still love, love, love this place. It is set high on a bluff overlooking Okanagan lake or you get a valley/mountain view. Of course I prefer the lake view. I don't even know where to start as there is so much to say about this place. The rooms are huge, with soaker tubs right by the window so that you can take in the view (and they are perfectly designed for two), the wall is all glass, two chairs and table and foot stool face the view as well. You will either get a king bed or two doubles, with exceptionally comfortable bed, soft linen and snuggly duvet. There is a also a walk through shower. It is European design and so that is a bit different, ie storing your luggage under the bed, not having coffee makers in the room but there is free coffee available at the restaurant for you to enjoy there or take back to your room. There is a mini fridge in the room but the design is poor so it doesn't ventilate properly and therefore is useless (only flaw that I have noted so far).
There is a unique crystal "fireplace" in the room. When you turn it on, red light reflects off the crystals.

Also, fabulous breakfast buffet included in the room price. The restaurant also looks out to the lake. Also included in the room price are steam rooms, saunas, tea room, exercise room, kniepp water therapy, inside and outside pool (was there in cold weather and it was fabulous to swim outside in infinity pool and enjoy the outdoors and spectacular view), and large Jacuzzi. You never smell of chemicals when you come out of the water. You can of course also book treatments (haven't done that yet). Service is impeccable. Free valet parking. Crystals everywhere. BEAUTIFUL but not opulent. 6 star but not stuffy. I prefer friendly and efficient to the "nose in the air" service you can sometimes get at high end places. We have been there 3 times now and I can't wait to go back.

We bring a cooler for daytime snacks. Prices for food are high (remember breakfast is included) but this is no different than you would find at other high end hotels. The food is delicious and they do have a reasonable priced turkey snitzel and turkey cordon blue which we ate this time and loved them both.

I also held a 175 person event at this hotel and the professional service was perfect. All the guests were WOW'd by the food, surroundings and service.

Treat yourself soon! One night is not enough. This trip was a 3 night stay and it wasn't long enough. Oh, and I am thrilled to finally find a place that caters to adults. This is not a party resort, so only plan a trip here for R and R. Just perfect for those of us who need some peace and quiet to unwind!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a lake view! BUT any room is spectacular.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank VictoriaTraveller15
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for your amazing review! We feel so honored that Sparkling Hill is one of your absolute favorite hotels to visit! What a great compliment. I am so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy truly everything that we have to offer at Sparkling Hill from our 40,000 sq. ft. KurSpa to our Restaurants and of course our rooms. It is wonderful that you also found our beds to be exceptionally comfortable, a lot of guests provide us with this feedback.

I would also like to thank you for providing us with your thoughts about our mini bars in the rooms, we are currently working on replacing all of the mini bars with mini fridges so they produce the temperature that our guests are looking for as mini bars, unfortunately, do not get as cold as mini fridges.

Thank you for mentioning how you found the service to be impeccable. This is something we have been working on for the last few months and it is so rewarding to hear this feedback, thank you so much!

We do also have Barrique & Java on site which provides some delicious soup, sandwiches and salads as an alternative option with a lesser price but still beautiful view!

You are so right that three nights are not long enough to experience everything that we have to offer!

Thank you again and we appreciate your continued support and cannot wait to welcome you back for your 4th visit!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My first time accompanied by a friend who had been before. The outside of the building was right out of a James Bond movie. Impressive location, great architecture and wonderful views.
We stayed for three nights and took advantage of the restaurant for complementary breakfasts and one dinner. Food quality was top-notch with a good selection on offer at the breakfast buffet. The room was well appointed and we appreciated fast response on our request for extra pillows and hangars. The mattresses were wonderful!

The spa was exceptionally large and offered a variety of included sauna/steam/pool experiences. A highlight for us was swimming in the heated outdoor pool while the snow was coming down. We both had customized facials that were truly indulgent.
Staff were generally pleasant and very accommodating (of note Alex the valet, first person we met).

Needing improvement:

We had difficulty regulating the temperature in our room even after attention from maintenance.
Some towels were definitely due for replacement with frayed edges.
Lighting in the bathrooms could be brighter
The lower coffee shop had a good choice of fair but were only able to give us plastic utensils and no plates for in-room use.
The maître d at the restaurant needs to learn to smile!

Given another opportunity, however, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Definitely secure a lake view room. It's wonderful watching the weather changes and shifts in c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank kitterCoquitlam_Bc
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review, thank you very much. I am delighted that you stayed 3 nights with us for your first time and am glad you have a good stay! It is excellent that you found the food quality to the top-notch with a good selection for the complimentary breakfast buffet. I am pleased to hear that you received your extra pillows and hangers in a timely matter and greatly enjoyed our mattresses.

It is also so wonderful that you were able to enjoy the KurSpa and found the heated outdoor pool to be very enjoyable. It is the perfect day to be swimming in it when it is snowing, it almost portrays a “winter wonderland” in my opinion. Thank you for mentioning how indulgent your facials were.

I am glad that you found the staff to be pleasant and very accommodating, Alex will be thrilled that you mentioned him by name and I will gladly pass this compliment onto him.

I would also like to thank you for letting us know of the areas that need improvement. I am very sorry to hear that you had difficulty regulating the temperature in your room, this is not normal feedback we receive and I would like to investigate this further if I may, if you could please send me a private message or email me (jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com) with your room number then we can certainly look into this more. We have recently placed a new towel and robe order and are hoping they arrive soon so we can replace any towels with frayed edges, I apologize that you had to see this.

It is disappointing to hear that you found that the maître d at the restaurant needs to learn to smile, I will pass this onto our Restaurant Manager so it can be addressed immediately.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you have the opportunity to return in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked the Couples Escape Package for March 16-18th, and because it was our first time staying at the resort, we were super excited. After reserving over the phone, I was told to book in advance for our spa voucher, and dinner reservations as they get quite busy; no problem. I promptly called the Peakfine restaurant and reserved 7pm for both nights of our 2 night stay, and I emailed to book my spa date. Unfortunately, I made a slight human error in my email to reserve the couples massage at the Kurspa, and I asked for Monday the 16th, when Monday was in fact the 17th, and our massage was booked for Sunday the 16th. Nobody caught my mistake, or called to confirm what day I actually wanted. I understand that part of it was my mistake, but part of it was also the hotel's mistake, yet there was zero ownership on their part. Also, it might help if the staff at the Kurspa would make a curtesy call to remind customers of their appointments. Miscommunication ultimately caused us to miss our massages, but the rest of our stay was phenomenal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3AmberJ

Dear Amber,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. It is wonderful to hear that majority of your stay was phenomenal. The Couples Escape is a wonderful package as you get to truly experience everything that we have to offer, our KurSpa, PeakFine and Barrique & Java and of course our beautiful rooms!

I am very sorry to hear of the miscommunication that happened with our KurSpa, you are absolutely right, we should have confirmed whether you wanted the Monday or the 16th and not made the assumption that it was the 16th. I truly apologize and will bring this to our KurSpa Manager’s attention and we will try to come up with a solution for the future. I appreciate you advising us of this incidents as it allows us to learn and improve.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back as a return guest.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Sparkling hills resort is a wonderful escape from daily life, it's quiet, relaxing atmosphere is perfect for de stressing. I would highly recommend a stay there to anyone.
The only thing I would suggest is that you take a drive into Vernon and go out to eat as the on site restaurant is over priced.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Meghan N
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Meghan,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and found Sparkling Hill to be a wonderful escape from daily life! We want every guest to leave feeling rested, relaxed and rejuvenated! I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding our PeakFine restaurant, I am sorry that you felt that it was overpriced, we do offer additional delicious dining options until midnight in our Barrique & Java for a lesser price.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was my first experience at the hotel and it was lovely! Although the restaurant left a bad taste in my mouth at dinner.

The rest of the experience was amazing. We booked a second floor room for a great price and wow was it ever nice! Lakeview with the tub is a nice touch.

We didn't get to spend as much time in the spas as we'd like to but all the different rooms are a treat to try out. Don't forget to test the showers. The "Healing Waters" are also nice to have a relaxing walk in. Don't be alarmed during European hour where clothing is optional. There should maybe be a bit more of a warning for people that didn't read their info sheets and don't want to see other people naked. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat and can't wait to stay for a longer period of time!

Room Tip: All rooms are great but might as well go for lakeview!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sydney,

Thank you for your review of your first experience at Sparkling Hill. I am so delighted that you had a lovely time with us and found your experience to be amazing. It is excellent that you were able to spend at least a little bit of time in our 40,000 sq. ft Kurspa, the true heart of the hotel. I agree that guests should not forget to test out the Experience Showers!

I am curious as to by the restaurant left a bad taste in your mouth at dinner and would truly appreciate if you would allow us to learn from your experience and share it with me. If you are, please contact me directly at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com or 250-541-2174.

Thank you so much again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for a longer stay!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have stayed at the Sparkling Hill Resort for personal trips in the past. I took my team there for meetings this year and it was one of the best locations ever! I highly recommend this to anyone planning an event!
The meeting room was stunning! The guest rooms were amazing. The food and service rank right up there with any other resort or hotel that I have stayed at.
The spas and pools offer great 'down time' and the views are second to none.
If you want to treat your team or group to an experience that they will not soon forget, let Josef and his world class staff take care of you. I would give Sparkling Hill a solid five out of five. Put it on your list of places to go...for business or pleasure. Enjoy!

Room Tip: My understanding is there are lake view or mountain view rooms. The lake view rooms do offer a stunn...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Douglas,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your visit. Wow! How wonderful it is to hear that you brought your team here for meetings and everyone greatly enjoyed their stay with us! This is so great to hear. Sparkling Hill is very unique for such corporate retreats as it does promote ‘down time’ in our KurSpa which really allows your team members to relax and rejuvenate, this is very important.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future for business or pleasure or both!

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I brought my daughter who is a student at a nearby University to your hotel with me as she needed a get-away from some troubles she was having. What a PERFECT solution to her problems. The location, amenities and hotel itself were unbelievable. I couldn't get over the crystals (I love crystals) and I found myself almost having to pinch myself that I was really in such an unbelievable place. Our room, too, was exceptional. Most impressionable of all was the cleanliness.....everywhere. Well done, Sparkling Hill.
We extended our stay by a night because we loved it so much. From there, we travelled to Seattle and stayed in a an expensive high end hotel and paid double there what we had just paid per night at Sparkling Hill. What a disappointment. I longed to be back at Sparkling Hill.
I can't wait to come back with my boyfriend or sisters and mother.
Ildi

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am so pleased to hear that you and your daughter had such a perfect stay! It is absolutely wonderful that you ended up extending your stay with us for an additional night since you enjoyed your stay so much, one night truly is not enough! I hope that you were both able to enjoy all of the complimentary amenities that were included in your stay such as the steams and saunas and pools.

Thank you so much again and we also cannot wait for you to return with your boyfriend, sister, mother or daughter!