“Gorgeous Resort”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vernon, Canada
“Gorgeous Resort”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Went with my husband to recharge our batteries and it was fantastic! The room (and view) was incredible, the breakfast gorgeous, lunch at Barrique & Java I wouldn't recommend (burnt black grilled cheese which was honestly cheeseless and the service a bit disappointing) but the spa amenities were top notch! So skip the Barrique & Java but don't skip on this resort! It's truly amazing!

1 Thank HAngel2014
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. It is wonderful to hear that you and your husband were able to recharge your batteries and had a fantastic stay with us! The view from all of our rooms truly is incredible and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast as well.

It is concerning to hear of the experience you had in Barrique & Java, I truly apologize for the sandwich you received and the service, this is most certainly not our standard and I have forwarded your feedback onto our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Thank you for allowing us to learn from your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a review on any website but I feel I must give my opinion on this beautiful place. I have had the pleasure of staying here a few times in the past three years and have enjoyed it each time immensely. I was with a group of three other ladies and we all needed a bit of R & R and decided to stay midweek for a couple of nights. The amenities are wonderful, especially the outdoor pool which is warmer than last time and all the better!
The Aqua meditation sauna seemed to be the favorite amongst us as well. However, the ceiling vents above the hot tub need a good cleaning, as well as all the other vents I noticed after that.
Breakfast buffet is always the highlight meal and we try EVERYTHING on those tables. Our servers were outstanding, one was Christina and the other, she had a long blond ponytail. (Sorry, the name escapes me). The blond server went out of her way to find a blood orange for one of our group and we were most impressed and thankful for her care. Christina is a delight to chat with and we were equally impressed with her professionalism.
I noticed the new uniforms since the last time we were here and how sharp their uniforms look and since I like to think I have an eye for fashion, perhaps with the change of seasons, a variation on tie colour would be most appealing. With spring around the corner, maybe a soft pink or lavender and red at Christmas.
In the Barrique and Java, we enjoyed the most amazing cup of coffee. The best we've ever tasted!
The one issue that cast a cloud over our stay was a strange encounter that happened while my group and I, plus one other lady we became acquainted with, were lounging in the tea room. One of my friends was quietly taking photos of us as a memory of our time together. I was drifting in and out of sleep and was startled by the 'click-clack' of ladies shoes entering the tea room. My eyes were still closed when I heard my friend exclaim, "I can't believe that she did that!" She was referring to the noisy-shoe lady who wagged her finger and gestured at her to stop taking pictures, and then continued to 'clickity-clack' her way out of the room. We were shocked and the lady sitting next to us was equally appalled. One even responded how ridiculous it is that she was telling her to shush and yet made so much noise with her own shoes that we know is discouraged in the spa. It was apparent that this was a woman in a management position as her clothing was not a uniform like the rest of the staff. We are a group of 'mature' women - (50-70 years of age) and to have a finger wagged at us like elementary children was entirely uncalled for and DISRESPECTFUL! We were not loud, or disruptive and there were only the five of us sitting there taking the odd picture, like many other patrons do as I have witnessed in the past. If taking pictures was such a problem then maybe this manager could have come and spoken to us in a polite manner. We are rational women and would have responded in kind.
Because of this incident, my friend was discouraged and hurt, so she decided to not bring her camera for our last breakfast as we have made it a tradition to take a group photo of us on our previous times here. This was disheartening and we'll be rethinking when and if we desire to return. I know it's not fair to judge an entire experience of such a magnificent resort on the actions of one, but one is all it takes to leave a bad taste in the mouth, especially when it's one in a suit.
When all is said and done, everyone else we had contact with from the housekeeping; to bell boys/valets; spa staff; restaurant servers; front desk reception-- THEY were ALL outstanding and deserve our humblest thanks for a job well done!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank MrsDeeCee
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. I am so pleased to hear that you and your group of ladies had a wonderful time with us! It is excellent that you were able to enjoy the complimentary amenities that came with your stay such as the outdoor pool and the steams and saunas. The Aqua meditation is one of my personal favorites as well as it is not too hot. It is so rewarding to hear how outstanding all of our team members were in every department, this is something we have been working very hard towards so you mentioning it is so appreciated!

Thank you for also revealing how wonderful your servers were, this is greatly appreciated and I will most certainly pass this great comment on. I would also like to thank you for the feedback regarding the tie colors, this is certainly something for us to think about.

I am very concerned to hear of your strange encounter. It is most certainly not our standard for anyone of our team members to wag their finger at anyone else, this is rude and unnecessary. You are absolutely right that she should have approached the group and quietly advised you that we discourage any photographs to be taken in the KurSpa as it is a place for rest and relaxation. This is extremely concerning, may I please ask you to contact me directly at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com or 250-541-2174, I would like to try and find out who this person was.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Sparkling Hill on the weekend of March 15th. We stayed in a Superior Mountain King room, and our package came with a two person two course dinner.

This is definitely our favorite resort to stay in, even when compared to some extremely expensive properties elsewhere. The staff are all pleasant and welcoming, they always make sure to greet you no matter where they are or what they are doing. This shows that they consider people staying there to be guests, rather than customers, and that they value and appreciate their staff.

The room was immaculate, and the food was absolutely top notch. We had sandwiches at the Barrique and Java cafe, which were reasonably priced considering the quality and locale.

We ate dinner at the PeakFine restaurant. It was absolutely fantastic. We expected that the two course meal would be a set menu of cheaper items, but upon arriving were informed that we could each pick any two items off the regular menu. This was a nice touch, and a very pleasant surprise. In the morning we very much enjoyed the breakfast buffet, it had an excellent selection and everything was very fresh.

Hopping between all of the saunas was a great experience, just like everything else.

We will definitely be visiting again, and highly recommend this resort to everyone who appreciates all those little touches that make this type experience so wonderful - little touches that are sorely lacking at other resorts.

Dear Lincoln,

Thank you very much for your excellent review! I am so pleased to hear that Sparkling Hill is your favorite resort to stay in! This is such a huge compliment for us and we truly appreciate it. I am glad that you booked our wonderful dinner package as this is a great value and you have the opportunity to enjoy our restaurant as well. Thank you for mentioning how pleasant and welcoming all of our team members are, we work very hard at trying to provide exceptional service to all of our guests and visitors.

I am delighted to hear that you found the food to be absolutely top notch and you were able to experience both Barrique & Java and our PeakFine restaurant. I appreciate you letting us know that you greatly enjoyed being able to pick any 2 courses off our menu rather than being restricted to a set menu.

It is excellent that you and your girlfriend took advantage of the steams and saunas that were included in your stay, hopefully you were able to experience the pools and Tea and Serenity Rooms as well!

Thank you so much again and we are so thankful that you would highly recommend us to everyone. We greatly look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Enderby, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have travelled several continents and stayed in the finest hotels. I have just returned from my third stay at the lovely resort of Sparkling Hills! I have yet to find a single thing wrong - the food is simply divine whether it is in the Peak Fine dining room or the Bistro bar, complimentary buffet breakfast selection is sublime! All staff are professional, polite and friendly and will go out of their way to satisfy any need. The extra little touches are special - from the front desk staff checking in shortly after arrival to ensure everything is in order to the valet leaving bottles of fresh water in our vehicle upon departure. Every encounter with a staff member was memorable, so pleasant, so well trained and so personable and helpful. The entire facility is spotlessly clean, rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and high quality amenities. The spa facility is out of this world in terms of professionalism - the treatments are amazing, the variety of steam rooms is worth a visit to each individually. The magic of this resort is in the ambience from the healing power of Swarovski crystal fireplace in each room to the millions of sparkly crystals throughout the resort even down to inlaid crystal patterns in the bathroom mirrors, on the back of the dining room chairs, on the closet doors in each room. The full wall windows with a door which opens up to allow the fresh mountain air into the room. The views, whether lake or mountain are spectacular and the view opportunities continue not just in resort rooms but also in spa treatment rooms, the dining room, bistro, the library and many small nooks which one can curl up in to read or simply enjoy the views. The outdoor infinity pool affords the perfect place to enjoy a sunrise or relax watching a sunset after a swim. Those same views often include wildlife. It is not unusual to see deer grazing on the rock face or perhaps a marmot scampering about around the grounds outside. I would highly recommend this facility as an exceptional adult get away. Our first stay was a family get together at Christmas and this last was a girls get away. I plan to stay at this resort as often as possible - Judi E

Room Tip: No tips required as all the rooms are exceptional! No hallway noise - no ice coolers in the hallway...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Judi,

Wow! We seemed to have really got you right! Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! It was such a pleasure to share your kind compliments with all of our team members. This is how we want every guest to feel after they stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you find the PeakFine Restaurant, Barrique & Java and our complimentary breakfast buffet to be simply sublime!

I would also like to thank you for mentioning how professional, polite and friendly all of our team members are, we are very fortunate to have such dedicated and passionate team members that truly try to make every guests stay memorable and unique.

I am delighted that you find our KurSpa so magnificent, it truly is. The treatments are so unique and relaxing. It is also wonderful that you enjoy the 7 unique steams and saunas and all of the additional complimentary amenities every stay! I personally also love our outdoor pool, you can most certainly view some beautiful sunrises/sunsets from it.

We do have ample wildlife that surrounds the hotel and you are absolutely right, sometimes you may be looking out the window and find a family of deer relaxing or looking right back at you! How special.

Thank you for your continued support and we all greatly look forward to welcoming you back as often as possible and hopefully, soon!

Kind Regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time to sparkling hill resort. It is mid march and mid week so quieter time which was nice. Standard room looks onto golf course and upgrade is lake view. All rooms are beautiful with Crystal fireplace, neat lighting, stand alone shower and tub for two. Toilet in separate room. Fridge and lots of space for cloths. Spa is outstanding with 7 steam and dry saunas. Tropical shower smells wonderful and has birds chirping . Best part is outdoor infinity pool overlooking lake. Nice a warm. Indoor pool is available and cooler. Hot tub for 15 is a nice temp . We loved eating in the bars downstairs instead of the dining room. The only reason this did not get 5stars was the dinner dining room food. It was ok but the prices indicate it would be awesome. Plated very nice taste only ok. Staff very good . Great wine list but expensive to drink alcohol. This was a wonderful two day retreat from the busy life we all lead. We will be returning given an opportunity to get a deal mid week on the off season. Two days eating, drinking, scheduled spa treatment for two and tipping was $1000.00

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback after your first stay. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the rooms and space for clothes. Our KurSpa truly is the heart of the hotel and I am so delighted that you found it to be outstanding. Our 7 steams and saunas are very unique and our experience showers are quite popular! The outdoor infinity pool is so special, especially in the winter time when it is not as busy, the view is simply breathtaking and the fresh air is always refreshing!

It is wonderful that you tried our Barrique & Java and ended up having dinner there instead of our PeakFine restaurant. It offers much lighter dinner options and is delicious! I am sorry to hear that you found the food in PeakFine to just taste ok. Thank you for mentioning how good the staff were, this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future! Please ensure that you are signed up for our newsletter so you receive our special offers!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Sparkling Hill Resort and Spa and cannot wait to return. While we were only there for less than 24 hours and only 35 minutes from home it felt as though we were thousands of miles away and as relaxed as we would be after a weeks vacation! Everything was incredible; the views, the location, the rooms and the spa facilities. A true escape to paradise and tranquil relaxation. The staff were professional and friendly and the whole place has a very relaxed feel for how elegant it appears. Thank you for an amazing getaway and see you again... And again, soon.

Christine

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank christinethebean4
Dear Christine,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We cannot wait for you to return to Sparkling Hill either! I would highly recommend staying for 2 nights next time you and your husband come as you will be able to truly experience everything that we have to offer! I am so pleased to hear that you achieved tranquil relaxation while you were here and found the staff to be professional and friendly.

Thank you so much for your amazing review and we really look forward to welcoming you back again, and again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I'm a travel agent, and have seen many hotels over the years and have never written a review. After spending an incredible 2 nights at Sparkling Hill with my hubby last weekend, I find the NEED to write a review about this property.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this hotel since we left. I almost shed a tear when we checked out.

The saunas, steam rooms and pools are incredible and so is the food. But it's not just these important things that make it amazing...its more. Its the phone call up to our room by the front desk 10 minutes after we checked in to make sure everything was ok....and its the complimentary bottles of water that the valet left in our car when it was time to leave. Its the little things like that that make you feel special.

The views are spectacular. The saunas, steam rooms and showers are like nothing I've ever seen before...I was in HEAVEN! I left feeling so relaxed and my skin felt and looked amazing!

I do wish the saunas and steam rooms were open all day, but after doing my research I can understand why they're not. The hours during the day they were closed we spent relaxing, reading and took a hike along one of the trails.

I also wish the check-in time was slightly early...even 2pm would be nicer.

Everywhere we went the service was excellent, and again, that's part of what makes this place so special.

I miss it there so much, I've even booked my next stay for next month so that I can take my mom up for a girls night!!

4 Thank Natasha K
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Natasha,

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write your first review on Sparkling Hill, we truly appreciate this! I am so pleased to hear that you spent an incredible 2 nights with your husband here, you really do need to stay at least 2 nights to truly experience everything that we have to offer.

I am so thrilled to hear that you found the steams and saunas, the pool and the food to be incredible. I would also like to thank you for advising us that you appreciate all of the small details that we offer to our guests such as our courtesy call and complimentary waters left in your vehicle. It is so great to receive this feedback!

Most of our guests do have a certain “glow” to their skin as they relax and rejuvenate in the KurSpa! Thank you for mentioning how excellent the service was everywhere you went, this is something that we have been working very hard on.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back next month with your mom! Thank you again for your review.