“Very special!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Very special!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

One night stay is not enough to take in all of the amenities. This is the perfect couples resort but I could also appreciate having a girls only retreat. Next time I'll stay longer to hike and get spa treatment. We loved the Serenity Room!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms close to the spa elevator with a view of Lake Okanagan. Don't expect an early chec...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for recommending Sparkling Hill as the perfect couple’s getaway or girls retreat! You are absolutely right that a one night stay is not enough time to experience all of the wonderful complimentary amenities that are included with your stay such as the 7 unique steams and saunas, the indoor pool complete with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky, the hot pool, the outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan, the Tea Room, the FunFit Center and of course the popular Serenity Room that you mentioned! We do have over 12 km of hiking trails that you can explore next time!

Thank you so much again and we greatly look forward to your return!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were fortunate enough to return to this amazing property and properly experience all it has to offer. Massages, Pedicure's (power pedicure for men:), manicure's, mud treatment and two awesome hikes. This place is to be experienced ASAP!

Room Tip: Rumour has it that room 333 is the best!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Tod,

Thank you very much for your second review and I am so pleased that your second visit with us was even better! I am also delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy some of our wonderful treatments in our KurSpa; our men's power pedicure is very popular. I hope you were able to experience the steams and saunas and pools as well!

Thank you so much for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed for three nights and I wished we stayed longer. This was a unique experience for us, staying at a hotel with such spa amenities. And we still got to enjoy the offerings of the Okanagan, like the wineries!

Room... beutiful view from the room (and from any public area in the hotel). Beautiful crystals but minimal/non practical furnishings in the room (lack of a real table/desk), so difficult to eat or do work in the room. You should be relaxing anyway! :) Housekeeping could be more attentive (ex. garbage/debris found around head of bed not removed/vacuumed despite front desk being informed; blood stain on bed pad/liner underneath fitted sheet, not changed after front desk advised; hair obviously noticeable sitting on clean towel neatly displayed in bathroom). Along with the minimalist (?) theme, there was lack of written information about the hotel (ex. amenities, hours of services, etiquette, dining services). I don't really like to ask staff every little question I have, especially when a hotel room usually has a directory that explains all this.

Spa... The KurSpa was truly an experience (at least for me, not so much for my husband). This was unique for me and I would come back to visit the KurSpa again. On the first day, I wanted a tour of the KurSpa, as I couldn't find any map or written information about the gym & amenities. However, we were made to go back to our room to don our robes & slippers, and then come back to wait for a staff member to show us around. This is when I learned of the extra elevator leading to the KurSpa. It took me two days before figuring out that the relaxation rooms in KurSpa were open much longer than the sauna/steam rooms. I could have enjoyed those rooms more if I had known. I guess I wasn't clear when I asked this question during the spa tour. An etiquette for the sauna/steam rooms is to sit/lay on your towel in the sauna rooms but not to use your towel in the steam rooms. I felt that was not very hygienic and other people thought the same. There are shower heads inside the steam rooms, for you to rinse off the seat or your body (I think that was their purpose-didn't see many people using them). But after seeing hair on the seat, I decided I wanted to use my towel to sit on. You need to go to the front area and ask, if you want more towels. There isn't clear signage of where to leave used towels or blankets (there were comfy blankets in one of the relaxation rooms-not sure if they had been used or not), though you're supposed to bring your original towel back to your room. Despite my lack of etiquette knowledge in this kind of setting and fear of germs breeding, I did find the spa very relaxing. The relaxation rooms and pool offered beautiful views, from different angles. On the morning of check-out (Monday), I visited the sauna/steam rooms when they opened at 9am, and had the entire place to myself (it was "clothing-optional" hour and I didn't encounter anyone who chose this).

Restaurant... buffet breakfast is included in the stay and it is excellent, considering it is buffet-style. The desserts are particulary good. We had dinner at the restaurant one evening and it was good. We visited the coffee shop one evening but the server wasn't able to explain to us what was in the desserts when we asked.

Attractions... we didn't have a chance to hike around the hotel property. We visited some wineries. If you're visiting Mission Hill Winery and want to eat there, I recommend making reservations ahead of your trip. The restaurant was fully booked when we called to try reserving. Luckily for us, they do keep a/some table(s) open for diners dropping in without reservations. We were there at an early hour for dinner and got a table and had a wonderful meal with wine pairings -a dining experience not to be missed!

Room Tip: We had a lake-view room and it was wonderful to relax in our room. However, the mountain view is al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your great review and for staying three nights with us! I am so thrilled to hear that you had a unique experience with us, this is the usual feedback we receive from our guests.

I am also so pleased that you found your dinner to be good and the complimentary breakfast buffet to be excellent. I am sorry to hear that the server in Barrique & Java was unable to explain what was in the desserts, this is not our standard. I have passed this valuable feedback onto our Restaurant Manager to ensure this is part of our ongoing training.

Our KurSpa truly is the heart of the hotel and I am so pleased that you found it to be a true experience. It is, however, disappointing that you were not given an informative tour of the spa which would include all of the hours of operations and our KurSpa etiquette. During the hours where the steams and saunas are shut down, from 11am – 4pm and from 10pm – 9:00am, we consistently clean and sanitize them.

I am very disappointed to hear that housekeeping was not as attentive as they most certainly should have been and truly apologize. We are currently replacing all of our Guest Services brochures and I apologize that you did not have one in your room yet.

Thank you very much for your feedback and for providing us with the opportunity to learn from your experience. All guest feedback allows us to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second time at Sparkling Hills and I have to say this time it was better then the first. We had gone there for a staff Christmas party for 2 nights. Its relaxing and the staff are amazing. A special thanks to Dominik the restaurant manager he was always checking on us to make sure we were all taken care off. The spas are amazing I had my first facial and WOW! I would recomend this to anybody for any occasion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thank you so much for your terrific review! I am so pleased and excited that your second visit with us was better than your first. It is also wonderful that your company decided to have their staff Christmas party with us, what a great choice.

Thank you for noting how amazing the staff are, especially Dominik. He will be thrilled that you mentioned him by name and we are fortunate to have such dedicated team members. It is exciting that you had your first facial with us and absolutely loved it! This is the feedback we receive quite frequently from our facials!

Thank you so much again and we look forward to your return!

Best Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

The wife and I stayed here over the last 3 days (two nights) . Beautiful resort. Rooms are totally unique, the steam rooms and saunas are awesome. The staff however could use a makeover. 3 star staff pretty much Holiday Inn level... Nothing over the top which you would expect at a resort of this calibre. We found blood on the bed spread and told the lady at the front desk as we were leaving. She told us we should have called house keeping. No a professional response in our opinion. If this place got their staff some 5 star training it could be world class... until then, its just another nice spa.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. It is wonderful that you came to spend 2 beautiful nights with us at Sparkling Hill! I am so pleased that you found our rooms to be unique and were able to enjoy the steams and saunas. I am surprised, that you found the staff to be mediocre as this is not the usual feedback we receive from our guests. I apologize that you found blood on the bed spread and that the front desk was unable to provide you with an adequate response, this is certainly not our norm. We appreciate any feedback and are continuously working on improving our service level.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Kind Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Hello all, I have taken 3 Richmond to Vernon road trips for 4 nights per trip, luxuriating at Sparkling Hill this year. A returning guest is a favourite guest here and I felt valued, with each visit better than the last. My husband agreed to try spa vacation rather than Vegas. He was pleased he did and I know he will always appreciate a turkish bath as a present. He still refuses to try a facial, in spite of fab staff that referred to this treatment as a must for a "facegasm."

Fine dining was generous and artfully presented. We were spoiled with amuse bouche(sp) before first course...ie lobster foam with ahi sashimi or deconstructed egg salad. Each meal ended with 4 handmade truffles. Favourite meal black cod followed by sorrel ice cream for desert. Breakfast included lox and heavy wholesome bread. I had to have the muesli and fresh berries too. Husband put on 9 lbs inspite of daily gym.

On a serious note, we were gobsmacked to learn that Canada's largest spa had chosen to eliminate RMT care. Care by a Naturopath, Psychiatrist and or Kinesiologist remain available, yet the commonly used Registered Massage Therapist had their health promotion role cut November 15, 2013. Between history of herniated disc and thoracic outlet syndrome my husband and I now have to choose alternate spas in Whistler or Parksville rather than at this great Hotel.
It was awkward and sad to have a massage from RMT's on their last days of work at Sparkling Hill.
I need qualified care for injury repair and benefit options. I await reversal of this business decision
so my health care team mates can get RMT care during our retreats.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank teresita c
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to Sparkling Hill. I am so pleased to hear that you felt valued coming back for your 3rd visit, we greatly appreciate your continued support. Most men are a bit hesitant to try a facial but when they do they end up loving it so I hope your husband tries one next time!

I am so pleased that you found your dinner to be generous and artfully presented, the black cod is most certainly very popular among our guests and I am glad you also enjoyed it!

Thank you for questioning why we no longer have Registered Massage Therapists at our KurSpa. Sparkling Hill’s long term vision is to be a destination wellness hotel, this means that guests come and stay with us for 1 or 2 weeks to truly experience a healthy relief from their symptoms or issues. Guests will be introduce to our Naturopathic doctor who will then recommend the most valuable treatments based on each guests personal history. This may include 1 or 2 relaxation massages but not therapeutic massages as we do have over 100 different unique treatments which are just as, if not even more, beneficial. The doctor will recommend which treatments will be most beneficial for each guests’ health and wellness. Please do not misunderstand me, RMT’s do fantastic work especially (in my opinion) if it is done by one specific RMT, since that RMT knows exactly what area they worked on last and will monitor its process. If one goes to another RMT, they may worsen the condition rather than help it as all of the work the specific RMT had done may be undone. I am confident that our doctor can suggest treatments for you that will be just as beneficial, if not more, for your specific history. We want all of our guests to leave Sparkling Hill feeling rested, rejuvenated and renewed!

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Williams L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We loved every minute of it and can't wait to come back. We had 12 family members from all points BC. The food was wonderful, especially the breakfast. The rooms were beautiful, had the superior queens facing Okanagan Lake. Maybe a little warm,. The service was impeccable. Thank you Carolina and Elaina at the check in desk, we had some confusion with rooms, due to so many of us checking in as family, but not to worry, you were wonderful. The saunas, pools and spa treaatments were relaxing and amazing. My 70 year old Aunt, who is from Lake Country, enjoyed every aspect of our Surprise Birthday Celebration!!!

Room Tip: My cousin shared a corner suite, which was amazing. The Lakeview rooms were beautiful, just not alot...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim R
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Kim,

Happy belated birthday to your 70 year old Aunt! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is so rewarding to hear that you found the service to be impeccable, this is something that we have been continuously working on. I am so glad that you found the food to be wonderful, our Food and Beverage department will be thrilled to hear this. I am also delighted that you were able to experience some of our unique spa treatments and found them to be relaxing, you are right, our steams and saunas and pools really are amazing! Thank you so much for specifically mentioning Carolina and Elaina, we are very fortunate to have such dedicated and passionate team members.

Thank you again and we greatly look forward to welcoming you all back as return guests!

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!