“Nice stay, restaurant was disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Kelowna, Canada
“Nice stay, restaurant was disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Our stay was good overall, the resort is very nice and relaxing. The rooms are very nice, we had lake view which I highly recommend. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy our dinner in the restaurant. We were celebrating a special occasion and were looking forward to a fine dining experience. Our server was pushing to get our order as soon as we sat down when it should have been obvious we were in no rush - we were there to relax and enjoy the evening. We hadn't ordered our wine yet since we were still deciding what to eat - we like to pair our wine with our food. We ordered our wine, appetizers and entree at the same time. Unfortunately, the complimentary amuse bouche and appetizer arrived at our table within minutes and shortly after that our wine arrived. A little backwards and certainly not the fine dining experience we are used to. The food was ok, not super hot and nothing special. We will definitely go back to the resort, but will manage our own timing in the restaurant by ordering each item when we are ready for it. Breakfast buffet was good, we had a table with a beautiful view which a great way to start the day!

Room Tip: Get the lake view!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your most recent stay at Sparkling Hill. I am very pleased that you found your overall stay to be good and relaxing. It is disappointing to read of your dining experience. I truly apologize for the experience that you had, it most certainly is not our standard. I have passed your feedback onto our Food & Beverage department to ensure it does not occur again or to any other guests. We do have Barrique & Java available which does serve food until midnight as an additional option!

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the breakfast buffet and had a table with a beautiful view, it absolutely is a great way to start the day!

Thank you for allowing us to learn from your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Ive read the few negative reviews on SH and can only think those who wrote them do not understand what this resort is about. Sparkling Hill is not a 'grab a drink and lounge by the pool' resort. There arent service staff waiting at bay to deliver you a round of tequila shots in hopes for a $5 tip. This is a wellness spa, a relaxation resort. Without sounding overly in-depth or spiritual, this is a place to visit, be quiet, relax, find and center yourself....to then return to your regular day to day life feeling refreshed and with a calmed, more serene outlook.

We've just returned from our 2nd stay at Sparkling Hill and are already looking into booking our 3rd. The indoor pool and hot tub are lovely, no better or worse than anything else Ive experienced. The ourdoor pool has a fabulous view of Okanagan lake, make sure to take it in during daylight hours if you can. The 1st time we stayed we werent able to fit in time for the Steams/Saunas, and I must say it was our favorite part of our most recent visit. Each evening after dinner we'd take an hour or two bouncing between the 7 steams and saunas. Starting in the traditional panoramic sauna for a slow warm up, over to the Rose Steam for a blast of floral heat, then into the water meditation room for a cool down, then rinse (in the experience showers of course) and repeat! Between 9-10pm, the steams & saunas are in "European" mode which is clothing optional, a nice way to relax just that much more if you have the courage to partake. With 7 rooms to visit, and warming scented showers in between, its the perfect way to end the day before retiring to the room for a nightcap.

In the KurSpa, there are many treatments to choose from that you wouldnt have the option to try at a local in-town salon/spa. This time around my husband and I went with the 90 minute Empress Sissi treatment. Description as per their website "a luxurious bath surrounded by golden marble awaits your arrival. Relax in a royal bath infused with milk & honey and enjoy champagne during your soak. After bathing, a relaxing side-by-side massage completes this blissful experience." This was an amazing experience, left alone to enjoy your foam bath with champagne and in-house made chocolates, then a knock on the door signals its time to shower off and get ready for an amazing side by side massage. Quite steep at almost $500 ($375 + taxes & tips), but whats the point of visiting a spa resort without indulging??

Dinners in the Peak Fine have never disappointed. This weekend we stuck to the daily specials as the other seasonal menu items were not to our taste preferences. On our first evening the wait time in between courses/finishing up/waiting for bill was excessive, and our server always seemed to be looking elsewhere when speaking to us, hence the 4 rating for service. Breakfast is quick, easy and there are many options catering to all types of eaters. Packages dont tend to include a lunch, but if youre not leaving the resort, Barrique & Java has perfect lunch plates to satisfy and tide you over until dinner. Drinks are a bit pricey at both the lounge and the restaraunt...maybe drop the cost of a 1oz cocktail down to 8$ instead of 10$; id be inclined to have more than one if they werent so pricey.

The rooms are beautiful. I dont think it would matter what floor or room youre in, you will have an amazing view. The rooms feel large because of the way they are laid out. Our room had a little bonus area that I could only describe as a "reading room", with only a chaise lounge and a lamp in front of a massive floor to ceiling window. The walk through shower in the bathroom is probably my favorite part of the room. So nice to have heated tile floors to warm your toes first thing in the morning. The beds are wonderful, probably the best "away from home" sleep Ive ever had. My only complaint about the room is the amount of light and noise that comes through the door. Every early riser that decided to get up at 6am and move around, we could hear through the door. And the amount of light that comes through the sides, top and bottom of the door frame in the middle of the night is ridiculous. I had to shove a towel under the door to block out the brightest of the light, but had no way to cover the ENTIRE door for it to be darkened. Try turning the corridor lights to dim during low traffic hours in the middle of the night. I dont know if this was an issue for other patrons or just an issue with my room. Also the blackout blinds, they dont black out anything as the light still comes in from the sides. Id rather be woken up from the natural light through the blinds than with the bright beaming lightbulbs from the corridor though.

Overall, Sparklin Hill is one of our favorite places to stay, not just locally but out of everywhere weve been. Already looking to book our next trip to ring in the New Years :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally beautiful and have wonderful views of either lake or mountain side.
1 Thank Janice K
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Janice,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us so much and returned to your regular day to day life feeling refreshed and calm, this is exactly how we want our guests to leave Sparkling Hill!
I am so excited that you decided to try the Empress Sissi treatment, it is our most popular couple’s treatment! I am pleased that you both enjoyed it so much. It is wonderful that you were able to take advantage of some of the complimentary amenities such as the pools, steam and saunas, and the experience showers! A lot of guests comment on what a good nights sleep they get with us and I am so glad you agree!

I am sorry to hear of your wait in the PeakFine Restaurant the first night, I truly apologize and will be providing this feedback to our Food and Beverage department for continuous improvements and training. I would also like to thank you for the feedback regarding the door and the light, we are greatly appreciating any guests’ suggestions as we would like to address this issue.

Thank you again for your feedback and we would love to see you for New Years! We have an exciting night planned!

Peachland, Bc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

From the first phone call to make reservations through to checking out and walking out the door the experience couldn't have been better. The staff was there for us every time. From great suggestions and accommodating of ideas for our special weekend Tiffany and Mr. Mayr were the best we have ever dealt with. We stayed in one of the penthouse suites and were, obviously, very impressed by all 1200 sq ft of the room. With wall to wall glass with amazing views, our own sauna and all the comforts you could ever want it was hard to leave. But then when you did you are treated to great meals and spa services. We were most impressed with the Kur Spa and all that it offers. I had never experienced a spa. I planned it for my wife, but now I can't wait to return either. The staff was attentive when you wanted them to be and the facilities are kept in the most cleanliest of conditions. Somehow everyone from Mr. Mayr all the way down the chain were aware of our special occasion and made efforts to acknowledge us. At Check-In the front desk staff welcomed us for our anniversary. In our room was a "Congratulations Card" upon our arrival. After dinner, our server brought us a plate of chocolates with "Happy 10th Anniversary" written in chocolate syrup. When we arrived to the spa, the front desk staff of the spa commented on our occasion. While it seems simple, it was impressive that somehow they all knew and even more so that the effort was made by all the staff to wish us well.
Checkout was busy and even Mr. Mayr was there to help valet vehicles. When the G.M. is always there and helping in every capacity, you know that he and his whole staff are there to make your stay the most caring and accommodating.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your excellent review! Happy Belated Anniversary! I am so pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your 10th Wedding Anniversary with us at Sparkling Hill and it was fantastic. The penthouses truly are unique and perfect for such a special occasion! The KurSpa is the heart of the hotel and does offer over 100 different treatments along with all of the complimentary amenities such as the 7 unique steams and saunas, the 3 pools, the FunFit center and the Tea and Serenity room.

Thank you for mentioning how attentive and kind the staff were, this is greatly appreciated. We are very fortunate to have such dedicated and passionate team members who try to make every guests stay truly unique and memorable! It will be my pleasure passing your kind words along to them.

Thank you so much again for your review and we greatly look forward to welcoming you and your wife back!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

It was my first time staying at Sparkling Hill Resort, me and my boyfriend both feel it definitely worth every penny we spent. I can't tell how relaxing the Kur spa was. We love the steam rooms as well as the saunas. The experience shower was also a fun facility to enjoy with. The view from our lake-view room was awesome! I saw the beautiful Okanagan lake was the first scene when I opened my eyes in the morning. We also love to lay on the sofa in serenity room, just to relax and calm our busy minds.The view washed away our pressure from work totally. We both wish we could stayed longer.
The breakfast buffet was great, lot of selections to choose from. I especially like the "special juice" blended by Sparkling hill, it refreshes my morning and gave me energy! Wish to have some more even now!!
All the staff were super friendly, they greets us whenever in elevator, doorway or lobby. They did a good job make us feel valued while staying.
The only complaint I would say is the poor sound insulation in our room. I was awaken at 7am by the noise from corridor and awaken again at 8am again then I couldn't get back to sleep.
Overall it was a great getaway location, where can take away stress easily. We will definitely go back again in near future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I am so delighted that you and your boyfriend both felt extremely relaxed and stress free after your stay at Sparkling Hill, this is what we want to achieve with every guest! The Serenity Room is really what Sparkling Hill is all about – relax, renew and rejuvenate!

I would also like to thank you for noting how super friendly all of the staff were no matter where you were in the hotel, we are very lucky to have such dedicated and passionate team members!

I am sorry to hear of the early awakening you experienced, we greatly appreciate this feedback and will be working on improving the sound insulation in the guest rooms.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back for another stress free, relaxing visit!

Kind Regards,

Vernon, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have stayed and eaten at Sparkling Hills MANY times and it has never disappointed me. Whether its been for business or pleasure, the Austrians have done a fantastic job at Sparkling Hills. It truly is a world class spa and resort. There is everything to love about it and nothing to dislike. The only negative would be the lack of a good, fun bar to "let lose" but I guess they are trying to keep it serene and quiet.

Anyway, if you are ever in the Okanagan Valley, try to stay for 2 nights (minimum). This way you can really enjoy the spa, local hiking/golf and scenery. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We would like to thank you for your great review and for your continuous support of Sparkling Hill! We are so glad to hear that we have never disappointed you. The Austrians have done a fantastic job with Sparkling Hill but it is all of the amazing and committed employees that truly make every guests stay memorable and unique!

You are absolutely right, it is best to stay for a minimum of 2 nights to really experience everything that we have to offer: all of the complimentary amenities in the KurSpa, the 100 different treatments, the 12 km of hiking trails, the PeakFine restaurant, the Barrique & Java and so much more!

Thank you again and we greatly look forward to your next return!

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was at Sparkling Hill for the first time with a group of girlfriends in October, 2013 for three nights. We are a group who have regularly have a "spa weekend" over the years, and we come from various locations in Western Canada. This was our first trip to Sparkling Hill. The setting and scenery are beautiful. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows that open to the mountain air. The rooms and the common areas of the hotel were lovely. People need to keep in mind that the rooms are really designed more for couples than friends, as the bathroom essentially has no door, the shower is glassed in, and the bathtub is in the window. So, one of us would have to vacate the room for the other to enjoy these amenities. The only complaint I have about the room is the lack of a coffee maker. Although coffee is available in the hotel, one sometimes likes to make a pot first thing in the morning without having to leave your room. The dining room was also gorgeous and surrounded by beautiful views. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have ever been to, and the evening meal was excellent. The spa was also beautiful and all six of us enjoyed a variety of spa services, all of which were very nice and priced comparable to other spas we have been to. The general spa facilities are included in the cost of your room, including indoor and outdoor pools, steams, saunas, etc., all of which were beautiful. As a group we had only one real complaint about the facility and that was difficulty with their billing system. The front desk had a great deal of difficulty organizing our bills. There were six of us, two per room, in three rooms. In other spas we have been to, our bills have been individualized, with the room cost split in even amounts, and then individual spa services, drinks, meals, etc. billed to our individual accounts. Sparkling Hill somehow confused our bills, sending bills for one person's facial to two others' accounts, charging one person the full cost of a shared room, etc. Even when we took the time to explain the problems to the front desk so that it could be fixed by check out time, it was not fixed. This resulted in stress and hassle during what was supposed to be a weekend of relaxation and fun. Overall, I would recommend it and would go back again. A great get away! Take your husband and he can golf right next door at a beautiful golf course while you have a massage.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the lake and it was a spectacular view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SusieQ001
Dear Susie,

Thank you very much for coming to Sparkling Hill with your group of girlfriends! I am so pleased that you all enjoyed your stay so much and found the setting and scenery to be beautiful. It is wonderful that you were all able to enjoy all of the different amenities at Sparkling Hill and had some wonderful treatments as well, we do offer over 100 different ones! Our Restaurant is able to deliver you some coffee in the morning if you wish! And of course, you are able to enjoy the complimentary breakfast in your robe and slippers as well!

I am very sorry to hear about your check out experience. This is most certainly not the experience we want any of our guests to have. Your valuable feedback has been passed on to our Front Office Manager to ensure that it will be addressed and will not occur again.

Thank you so much again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you and your girlfriends (or husband) back soon!

Best Regards,

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Mum and I try to spend a night at the Resort every year around the holidays when I'm home visiting. I love this resort. From greeting to check-out, the entire time is a dream.

The rooms are spacious, clean and overlook some of the prettiest views in the country. We always clamber into the gorgeous white robes and spend the rest of the day at the Kur Spa. The steamrooms are incredible and my favorite is definitely the ice room (such a treat after being the in hot and steamy rooms!) The pools are fabulous and always crystal clear. Great to do laps in. The tea room is a great way to "unwind" after all of the unwinding. The staff are lovely and kind and Mum and I always find we have the best conversations getting our nails done.

The evening is fabulous. We love to get a specialty coffee in the lounge before heading to dinner. The menu is fresh and unique - a treat for sure. Lots of wine available on the menu and when we were not able to finish the bottle at the table, the staff helped us bring up the glasses and decanter upstairs.

The beds are glorious and we both slept well. Breakfast is stunning. Drinking fresh squeezed juice in a 5 star, crystal-filled dining room in a white robe feels divine. Incredible end to a wonderful say.

I cannot recommend this resort enough. You have to see it to believe it. Enjoy the robes!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your great review. We greatly appreciate you and your mum making Sparkling Hill a yearly getaway, how special this must be for you two! I am so happy to read that you both enjoyed most of your day in our robes, this is very common for most of our guests. I can imagine perfectly what you two were doing by just reading this review - laps in the clear pools, unwinding in the Tea room, having a manicure, and getting a specialty coffee in the lounge before having a fresh and unique dinner!

I am so pleased that you both slept so well in our beds, we have received a lot of positive feedback regarding them. I would also like to thank you for mentioning how lovely and kind all of the staff were.

We greatly appreciate you recommending us and you are right, you really do have to see Sparkling Hill to believe it!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you both back!

Kind Regards,

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!