“Lovely views with high end features”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Revelstoke, Canada
“Lovely views with high end features”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

A group of us had an event at Sparkling Hills this past weekend. The facility was lovely. The staff were friendly. The rooms were beautiful. The furniture was high end and the view lovely.

We were in a corner room which made the room much larger then others in our group. You could tell the hotel was conscious of how many people were in the room. There were three of us in the room and there wrote 3 of everything we would need. The sliding door was a lovely touch. The heated floors were amazing. Our bathroom set up was different then most. The shower was in the corner vs the middle of the room.

The room was very clean, however I didn't care for the lack of lighting in the room or where the plugs were located. Also there were no shower caps. We didn't think to bring them as most hotels provide them.

Everywhere you went there were jewels, however I didn't find the lobby to be that spectacular.

The food was amazing at both breakfast and lunch which we had at the hotel. The coffee shop was understaffed but they jumped in and called more staff to help. My suggestion would be to have a menu available. Hard to know what to get if they don't have a list. Also, soy milk would be lovely to have had.

The meeting room we were in was set up exactly how we asked. Thanks for taking care of the details. The lack of Internet was frustrating however. The meeting room had a password for internet but no one knew what the code was. They ended up having trouble with the internet, but again they stepped in and fixed the problem.

Overall the place is lovely however over priced in my opinion.

I would come here again though. I think this place would be great for a romantic get away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank clynn87
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review and for hosting your event at Sparkling Hill! It is excellent that you found the facility to be lovely, the staff to be friendly and the rooms to be beautiful. We only have a select number of corner rooms and they are high in demand and very special as you do get a breathtaking view of Lake Okanagan and of the Monashee Mountains! I am so pleased that you found the food to be amazing, thank you for noting this. Our Barrique & Java coffee lounge does have a menu available from 11am until midnight, I am sorry that you were not offered this.

It is good that your meeting room was set up exactly how you asked but I am disappointed that you had an issue with the internet, I am truly sorry about this.

I am also sorry to read that you did not have a shower cap, we do have these available upon request.

Thank you again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back, we have some wonderful offers available in the winter and summer!

CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This resort is a gem! We stayed up here for 1 night, and got a great deal as it was off season. The hotel is on a beautiful hilltop over looking the lake. The room was spectacular, with a large soaker tub right by the window. The spa facilities are immaculate and have everything you can think of - multiple saunas, relaxation rooms, incredible massages. My husband even tried the -110C sauna. This is a must! We have been to many spas across Canada and this is one of the best.

Few not so great things: the main restaurant decor needs updating, it feels tacky and mismatched. Don't get a wheelchair accessible room unless you need it. The bathroom set up is a bit awkward. The saunas are closed for a good chunk of the day which means you have to plan when you're going to use them.

Overall, a great stay! Can't wait to do it again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravelgal45
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. The large soaker tub right by the window is the perfect place to unwind in your room! The -100C Cold Sauna treatment is our signature treatment and you are right it is a must! It is great that you were able to enjoy all of the complimentary amenities in the KurSpa.

I am sorry to read that you found the restaurant décor to need updating, we try to keep all of our facilities clean and simple as we hope to invite the nature in with our floor to ceiling windows throughout the hotel.

Thank you again and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully for a 2 night stay!

Warm Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am shocked and saddened to read some recent poor reviews.... I cannot fathom how anyone would not LOVE this place.
By FAR the best massage and facial treatments I have ever had, and believe I have had a few. As a long distance runner, I have had my fair share of injuries and treatments to help - but nothing compares to Sparkling Hill. Just wish they were closer to home...
The rooms were amazing, super clean with amazing lakefront views. The spa staff were also above and beyond, going the extra mile to ensure everyone was well attended to.
Two exceptional dinners we had at Peak Fine, love the fact that the menu changes daily.
This is beyond any experience I have ever had at a spa, and and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet88
Dear Janet,

Thank you very much for providing us with your review. I am so pleased to read what a wonderful experience you had with us. It is such a wonderful compliment to read that you had the best massage and facial treatments ever, wow. It is great that you also found the rooms to be amazing and clean and the staff to be excellent. Our Chef’s at PeakFine continuously strive to make every guests dinner exceptional.

Thank you again and we also cannot wait for you to return!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We left Sparlking Hill with disappointment about the way the staffs are treated their guests. We came to relax but it did not meet our expectation.
I would not come back again.
I read most of the negative reviews and I sympathize with these people.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Julia S
Dear Julia,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent visit. I am very concerned regarding your comment of how the staffs treated the guests; this is not the standard nor the norm. I would greatly appreciate if you would send me a private message and provide me with more details regarding this.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Edmonton
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Sparkling Hills resort. Its a beautiful resort and spa, located on a hill with nice walking trails and views. Our room had a lake view and I loved relaxing and reading in the soaker tub by the window. The room is very tastefully done, lovely lighting, beautiful granite in the bathroom and shower and a large bed with soft sheets.

The service was excellent in every respect...reception, valet, restaurant, room cleaning. Very friendly staff who work hard. I was particularly impressed with the restaurant service both at dinner and breakfast. Polite, knowledgeable, speedy and professional. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the coffee had real flavour, not like so many other breakfast buffets. There is a variety of offerings and as there are many Europeans, the buffet has generous quantities of smoked salmon, a variety of breads, cheeses and cold cuts as well as yogurts, fruits, small pastries, cereals and eggs. The evening meals were beautifully presented and little treats like the petit fours at the end of the meals were delicious. It's evident that they work hard in the kitchen to present the food very well. The dining room is quite lovely as well with a Swarovksi crystal chandelier that sparkles in a modern and sweeping design across the ceiling.

The infinity pool is heated and overlooks the hills and lake. Beautiful anytime of the day. Enjoyed the spas, especially the rose steam room. The white bath robes are wonderful and make you feel relaxed right away. Wandering around in a bath robe is kind of fun.

I was motivated to write this review after speaking with many of the young staff at the resort who work hard and make such an effort to make your stay enjoyable. A little recognition is only fair and the least I can do.

Room Tip: Check out their specials for better rates.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank helensadowski
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Helen,

Thank you so much for your review. It is so wonderful to read that you had such an exceptional stay with us. I am so pleased that you found the service to be excellent in every respect, we are truly blessed to have such passionate team members that try to make every guests stay unique and memorable.

It is great that you found the breakfast buffet to be delicious and the coffee to have real favor. Our Chef’s take great pride into presenting every evening meal beautifully and I am so glad that you enjoyed it.

I am also pleased that you were able to enjoy the KurSpa, the Rose Steam is very popular among the ladies and a lot of guests want to stay in their robe all day!

Thank you so much for writing this wonderful review, the staff will be so thrilled that you valued their effort.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted to have nice getaway from the husbands and kids and we heard great things about Sparkling Hills. There was a "girlfriends' getaway" package that we booked. It included breakfast, one free dinner, and $100 credit at the spa.

We arrived at our room and found it not really suitable for gf retreat. The bathtub was in the middle of the room and the shower was not enclosed. I understand that this resort is geared for romance but they should not sell a GF package away without explaining the set up of the room. We likely would not have booked there knowing the set up of the room. There may be more appropriate rooms for a girl's getaway but if there was we were never informed.

Another issue we encountered was that the spa services were almost fully booked. This was very disappointing as that was the whole point of us going to the spa. If you go, make sure to book way in advance or you will not get any spa services. We really felt upset about that.

The saunas are great but they are so completely packed that it is hard to enjoy at times. As I read in another review, either it is a spa retreat or a conference center. The many conferences there seemed to ruin the tranquility of the spa.

Also, make sure to bring snacks and other food with you. When the restaurants close, there is literally nowhere to get food - not even a vending machine. My friend and I arrived at 10 pm and the restaurants were closed and we had not had dinner. There was literally nowhere to get food or even a snack. I am not sure how a high end hotel cannot offer food to guests arriving late.

The pool is nice and we enjoyed it. The Fitness centre is very poor and the equipment is extremely out of date. We were in shock that a high end hotel would have such a poor gym. Also, please note that if you want to take an aqua class or the nature walk, it will cost you $10. Surely they can include that in such an expensive place.

Also, the food quality was quite poor and the service poor. We were very shocked at the quality. I would have preferred to go into Kamloops and eat at Earls for a third of the price. They have between $30-$40 entrees that were not even remotely worth the price. It was shocking

Overall, the place is in a beautiful place but we had such high expectations and were mostly disappointed with it and didnt think it was worth the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pod87
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. The girlfriends’ getaway package is quite popular throughout the year but I am sorry to hear that you were not informed of our room layout, all of the rooms are the same in the hotel and the reservation team normally tries to inform guests of the layout prior to booking. You are right that our spa services do get booked up quickly, we always recommend for guests to book at least 3 weeks in advance, we try to ensure that guests are aware of this by advising them when they book as well as having it on our website. I am sorry that you were unable to book treatments.

I am very surprised that you were unable to find any food at 10pm as we do have our Barrique & Java open until midnight and they do offer snacks. We have recently just extended the menu to be available until midnight as well. I apologize that this was not offered to you.

Our FunFit center it equipped with state of the art Keiser equipment so I am sorry to hear that you found this to be extremely out of date as it is top of the line hydraulic equipment.

It is upsetting to hear that you found the quality of the food to be quite poor as this is not the usual feedback we receive. Our kitchen uses as much local and organic ingredients as possible.

Thank you for your feedback as it does allow us to learn and improve our facilities. We do hope
to welcome you back in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013

A nice hotel owned and operated by people who believe their guests are fraudsters and thieves. I have never had to show ID when using a credit card, except at that other suspect company Ticketmaster. Then in the room there is a notice saying if you take the towels, your credit will be charged - there is a better way to word this, used by more reputable hotels, which does not imply you will steal from the items. But they do have a good internet, we used that to cancel our bookings at the other two Canadian hotels we planned to stay at, and went back to the USA, where you are treated like a valued guest at the hotels. The ratings I give the hotel are based on what we would expect from a hotel that charges so much, and this place comes out way down the scale.

Room Tip: Avoid anywhere in this place
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Two2bThere
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not find Sparkling Hill to be for you. It is standard practice to ask for a piece of ID when presenting your credit card in Canada, this is for your own protection. I apologize that you found this to be offensive; it was most certainly not our intention.

I would also like to thank you for the feedback you have provided regarding the notice of the towels in the rooms, we have not received this feedback before so we will be looking at the wording to ensure that it is not unpleasant, my apologies.

Thank you again and I hope you had safe travels.

Kind Regards,

CEO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#5 of 20 in Vernon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!