“Amazing location and great food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing location and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

As we were guests at Predator Ridge we got to use the spa here (normally only guests in the hotel can) which was amazing! The infinity pool is gorgeous with amazing views and the steam rooms are good too, I had a massage as well which was on of the best I have ever had!

The staff were all lovely and we came back up for dinner which was really yummy. They change their menu every night rather than have "specials" and have a good wine list too, we had great service and really enjoyed it. In fact next time we might stay there instead!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Velvet1975
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Velvet,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so pleased that you were able to join us and experience the KurSpa while staying at our neighbours (Predator Ridge). Thank you for mentioning how lovely the staffs were, how amazing your massage was and how delicious your dinner was!

We hope to welcome you to Sparkling Hill for a stay in the future!

Warm Regards,

CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CALGARY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is nice except that for rates of $560.00 per night that includes buffet breakfast the breakfast was less than expected. Food items on the buffet were lacking , no bacon, no choice of eggs, hardly any fruit , no muffins and service was very poor in that we continued to have to find someone to provide us coffee and tea. At the end of our breakfast we were provided with a bill showing buffet breakfast was $25.00 P.P and even through it is included with room rate you are expected to provide a grat. Rate of $25.00 was a joke for what was provided.

We booked a Standard Lake View room and was provide room 148 at check in to our surprise our view was a roof of building below again advertising of this room advises lake view only item there forgot was to mention the roof view .

Very disappointed with this hotel value is just not there,
OVER RATED

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear John,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am very surprised to read your review and am so sorry that you found the breakfast to be a poor value and the room to be a disappointment. This is most certainly not the feedback that we normally receive regarding either as you can see from many other reviews. We have some wonderful offers available throughout the year (currently a $195 special) and all of our rooms always include the full hot breakfast but also access to our 7 unique steams and saunas, the Kneipp waterway, the indoor pool complete with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky, the outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan, the hot pool, the FunFit center, Tea and Serenity room, valet parking and wifi. I do hope that you were able to take advantage of all of these amenities as well.

Thank you again for your feedback.

calgary, ab
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

In July a girlfriend and I visited Sparkling Hill resort. We had a wonderful stay. Gorgeous room (get the lake view for sure) and comfortable beds. We really enjoyed the steam rooms the first evening. The next morning we took the pilates class and had a Fango (mud wrap) treatment prior to our massage. Truly a perfect morning. Thank you Sparkling Hill resort. (Note, I had visited a year or so ago and had a less-than-stellar experience but because of the excellent facility and normally excellent reviews, I decided to give it a re-do and I'm glad I did - they totally redeemed themselves. Go visit!)

Room Tip: Pay for the lakeside for certain!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pam,

Thank you so much for your great review! I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful visit with us during your second stay! Thank you so much for providing us with the opportunity to learn from your last experience and for coming back for another visit. I am so pleased that you had a truly perfect morning and were able to enjoy the Pilates class and a Fango treatment.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I are on an extended anniversary celebration and based on many co-workers and family members recommendations, we chose to stay at Sparkling Hill for two nights. Mid-week the price is great, I gather it increases on the weekend, and I don't blame the resort a bit for doing this - make the money when the demand is there, that is business. The value is excellent regardless with a hit breakfast included, valet parking included, wireless internet and use of the sauna's and pools. Brilliant.

Driving through Predator Ridge to get to the resort is full of stunning views, rolling greens of the 36 holes at Predator Ridge, farm land, and lakes. Just beautiful. Then you arrive at Sparkling Hill and it's a gem at the end of the road - I can only imagine how gorgeous it is in winter. A unique building, right there on top of the ridge. Check-in was painless, valet included, room spotless and made us say WOW when we walked in. Not just for the lake view but for the unique set up and lay out, the floor to ceiling windows, the thick granite, the crystals everywhere, the "fire" complete with red lighting, changing constantly over a "pile" of beautiful crystals......Fabulous.

Our only sad-face is caused by not having an in-room coffee maker......We appreciate coffee is available at 6:00AM but we don't want to dress and see other life forms before we have had our coffee - it would increase the relaxation-mode they promote there and I hope Management considers it.

We tried all the saunas, and the indoor and outdoor pools, but did not have time for any spa treatments unfortunately as we had family and friends to see in the area as well. Next time I do want to try the -110 cold plunge as it sounds invigorating to the body, plus massage treatments as well. We did have a lovely nature hike around a bit of the area with Shawna from the Spa Staff, and she was an absolute treasure.

All to quickly it was time to depart - definitely intend to go back one day, but it's a long haul from Vancouver Island. We absolutely recommend a stay there - and if you are having a wedding, consider it as a destination wedding option - the photo's we saw of previous ones were gorgeous.

Room Tip: The lake view side rooms are well worth any additional cost.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! Happy belated Anniversary to you and your wife! We are so honored that you stayed with us for such a special celebration, hopefully it will become an annual visit! I am so pleased that you found the value of your stay to be excellent. It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy the steams/saunas and the pools, you will most certainly have to come back to enjoy some of our treatments and our signature treatment the -110C Cold Sauna! It is a truly unique experience.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed one of our nature hikes with Shawna, she will be ecstatic that you mentioned her by name.

Thank you again and we very much look forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Me and my new wife spent a night in one of the sparkling hill penthouses as our pre-honeymoon getaway. It was fantastic. The rooms had a beautiful view of Okanagan lake, and the bathroom was immaculate. Plenty of space and was very enjoyable. We loved the saunas and steam rooms downstairs and the outdoor pool was serene, especially at night. We will definitely be returning for another visit in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank tyvlaouch
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your great review! Congratulations on your recent wedding! I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy your pre-honeymoon getaway in one of our penthouses, they are such special and beautiful rooms! I agree with you that the bathroom is immaculate! It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy the some of the complimentary amenities such as the steams and saunas and the pools, I hope you were also able to enjoy your private steam/sauna in the penthouse.

Thank you again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for another visit!

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel, as I understand it is owned and was built by the Swarovski family that do the crystals, and the hotel is full of them. The location is amazing with the hotel perched on a ridge overlooking Lake Okanagan on one side and the Predator Ridge golf course on the other side. Most of the ground floor is devoted to a spa where there are various steam rooms, saunas, treatment rooms and pools - its all very relaxing.....or at least it should be.

The rooms are well appointed with floor to ceiling windows which maximise the views and the light. All have baths (but no balcony - which is a shame), and chairs to relax in and take in the view. All the rooms have views - either of the lake on the west side or of the golf course and surrounding hills on the east side which is almost as spectacular as the lake side. The wifi in my room (I was at the end of the corridor) did not work well so I had to go to the library which was a nuisance and there are no desks so if you do want to catch up on work you need to do it on the bed, or in your lap or in the library area.

The service unfortunately does not come up to the standards of the building itself. I called for directions before arriving and was told that the hotel is located 20km NORTH of Vernon......its not ....its located about 15km SOUTH....fortunately its sign posted from the highway. Make a reservation for the restaurant as there is no other place to eat - the food is good but getting a table may be a challenge - we waited 30 mins for a table WITH a reservation and we weren't the only ones - there was a long line of people trying to sit down.

One other thing if you are staying on the south side of the hotel in rooms 253-260 or on the floor above, you will have an amazing view of the lake BUT you are also ABOVE the delivery bay to the hotel and I was woken by the warning sound of a delivery truck backing into the bay at 6.50am !!! It wasn't just me either - my neighbours were also woken up by it. If there is anyone from the hotel reading this, for gods sake keep the delivery trucks away until say 8.30am ! It is afterall supposed to be a place for rest and recovery - there's not much chance of that if you are woken up by a delivery truck at 6.50am!

Overall I thought the hotel was amazing BUT the service wasn't - frankly when a hotel charges $450/night, the little things also need to be right........ and there are quite a few here that need addressing

Room Tip: ask for lake side view but avoid rooms ending in 53-60 as they are above the delivery bay and delive...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rocdoc_12
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be amazing, the views really are spectacular no matter where you are.

I truly apologize for the disappointing service that you experienced. We are continuously training and educating our team members and it is disappointing to read of the unacceptable experience you had. I am so sorry that you received the wrong information from the front desk regarding our location and of the wait time in the restaurant. All of this valuable feedback has been passed on to our managers.

Thank you for providing us with your thoughts regarding the loading dock noise issue, I have not received this feedback before and truly appreciate it.

I do hope you provide us with the opportunity to learn from your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel is very nice, super nice BUT the staff and managment are horrible!!!
Check in is at 4pm, BUT if arrive early, you are not allowed to use any of their facilities! So..it is + 35C it is 2pm in the afternoon, we are in the middle of nowhere and front desk agent is telling my I'm not allowed to use pool?!? Why?!? Wouldn't you rather get rid of than have me hang around lobby and ask you every 15 minutes if my room is ready? So much for romantic getaway with my husband without children! Once we received our room, it was just not upto our standards, meaning if I'm paying $ 300, my expectations are quiet high! Hair in bathroom is disgusting and don't even get me started about things I found under the bed when I tried to plug in my laptop! My messages to GM were not answered, staff did not know what to do with us, room change was not offered. I also e-mailed to GM after my stay, no answer to this day. I would much prefer to talk to him in private and not post any comments on line, BUT since he did not return any of my calls or messages..here you go sir!

Room Tip: Simply stay away!!!
8 Thank LenaLu
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Lena,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is great that you found the hotel to be very nice but I am very concerned regarding the rest of your review. Please allow me to apologize for not responding to your messages or e-mail, I have double checked my messages and emails and asked my assistant to also double check his and we are unable to locate any message from you, may I please ask you to re-send me your email. I would greatly appreciate this and certainly answer. Once again, please accept my apology for not contacting you sooner.

I do hope to have the opportunity to speak to you. Please email me again or provide me with your contact information in a private message.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

CEO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!