“Magnificent”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed two nights over the August long weekend. This resort is a hidden gem. We came up on the couples getaway package and were pleasantly surprised. The lake view room was fantastic, very modern. Our dinners were over the top. Chef Thomas creates amazing dishes. From the partirdge appetizer to the lamb entree to the bok shoy ice cream dessert. We were always two full for dessert so the staff would create a cheese plate for us to take to the room for later. That is a nice touch.
The daily included breakfast was more than enough to start your day. We even ordered coffee to our room and the charge was more than reasonable.

Spa Experience: We indulged in the chocolate bath/30min massage. It's a very nice treat. You get your own room plus a glass of champange.
My favourite would be the rose steamroom (all steams/saunas are complimentary) Note: steam/sauna closed 11-4pm so if book you're spa treatments during this time as there is not much else to do other than golf or simply relaxing.

There's nothing bad I can say about this resort.

And all the staff are super!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your recent visit to Sparkling Hill! The Couples Escape is a wonderful and very popular package since it does include dinner every night and a KurSpa credit as well as of course access to all of our complimentary KurSpa facilities and full hot breakfast.

Thank you for noting how amazing all of your dishes were by Chef Thomas, he will be thrilled you mentioned him by name. It is wonderful that the restaurant staffs were able to provide you with a cheese plate to take to your room!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sissi couples treatment so much; we receive a lot of positive feedback for this treatment.

We are very lucky to have such wonderful staffs that are dedicated to providing a unique and memorable experience for all of our guests, thank you for noting how super they all are.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back as a return guest!

CEO

Write a ReviewReviews (1,909)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently had the opportunity for a site visit and stay at The Sparkling Hills Resort as a potential destination for upcoming groups. I never thought I would actually make it there (who goes to Vernon?) but found myself in the area and thought what the heck. As it was just a stop along the way to check out, I went in with little to no expectations. I started to get excited when I saw the resort shimmering in the distance as we rolled along the curvy roads to get there. What a beautiful setting, this certainly wasn't Vernon, felt more like the Italian countryside! When you finally arrive, I have to say, the place really does shine. There are something like hundreds of thousands of Swarovski crystals everywhere and the resort itself is even shaped like a big crystal! Yes, it's cheesy for sure, and maybe a bit of overkill, but it does look really pretty. Super impressed with our 3rd floor lakeview room as soon as we opened the door. Floor to ceiling windows on one wall with half the window that opens - we sat in the room with a glass of wine and actually had the sun on our skin! The view of the Lake Okanagan was so beautiful that we had a hard time leaving the room (well that and the case of wine that we had bought at a local winery...and the view from the tub and the shower...) the room had the coolest walk through shower that I have ever seen, ok, maybe the only one I have seen. But really, super impressive. I finally left the room to check out the spa and WOW! The saunas and steam rooms are open to all guests not like other hotels where you have to get a treatment to use the spa (yes, I am talking to you Willowstream) but you must be over 16 to enter. THERE IS A GOD. The outdoor pool was beautiful and warm and overlooks the lake. So nice. We actually ended up extending from our one night just check out the place and go, to three nights, and we thought about staying another. Love this resort's European feel from the people eating breakfast in their robes to "European Hour" in the steam rooms from 9pm to 10pm (means clothing optional, which I was ok with, but is it always the fat old guys that drop the laundry? I kept my bikini on in case you were wondering). Overall amazing experience indeed, I would love to return.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate N
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Kate,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to read what a brilliant and pleasant stay you had with us. We strive each day to ensure that our guests have a wonderful and unique experience from the moment they walk into our doors to the moment they leave and I am so pleased to read that you ended up extending your stay for 3 nights. It is also wonderful to read how much you enjoyed our 40,000 sq ft KurSpa and all of the complimentary amenities that are offered with your stay. I am so delighted that you found the rooms to be impressive and enjoyed the view and tub so very much.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to Sparkling Hill for many future stays with your groups and on your own.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went up for one night and I feel like two nights would be the minimum to make the drive worth our time.

The hotel is beautiful. It is very sparkly but not quite as sparkly as I expected, to be honest. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. We had a wonderful sleep.

We had dinner at the hotel and breakfast was included with our stay. The food is delicious and breakfast was AWESOME. The restaurant has an amazing view of the lake (which we didn`t get to enjoy at dinner, as it was already dark). The breakfast buffet was delicious and everything looked sooo good. I expected the standards of cereal, coffee, muffins and toast but the pastries were amazing, there was fruit salad, scrambled eggs, freshly squeezed fruit juices and more. It definitely exceeded our expectations.

The outdoor Infinity pool was closed when we visited, so that was disappointing. The swimming pool was VERY cold so we sat in the hot tub instead. There is also an interesting wading pool that alternates walking through cold and warm water, that is supposed to be very good for circulation. The cold sauna was interesting, but the floor was about an inch-deep with freezing cold water so I didn`t stay in there very long. There are a number of different saunas and steam rooms to choose from.

Overall, great service, excellent food and a beautiful hotel with gorgeous rooms and amazing views. Well worth the trip, I only wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie B
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Marie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts regarding your most recent stay. You are absolutely right that two nights should be the minimum that guests stay to truly experience everything we have to offer at Sparkling Hill.

I am so pleased to read what a wonderful visit you had with us. We do have over 3.5 million Swarovski crystals throughout the hotel which look absolutely beautiful especially when the sun is shinning on them. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast so much.

I apologize that the outdoor infinity pool was closed and am surprised to read that the indoor pool was very cold as I was not aware of this. We do offer 7 unique steams and saunas and it sounds as if you were in the Igloo which is 8°C and is ideal for guests to cool off between the steams and saunas. The Cold Sauna does require an appointment as it is very beneficial to guests' health, you enter a cold chamber of -110°C! I do highly recommend trying it during your next visit!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back for at least a 2 night stay!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I wanted a special place to celebrate our {44th} anniversary and we were looking for ELEGANT, TRANQUIL and DELICIOUS and found all 3 here.
We are fortunate in the Okanagan to be so close and also to take advantage of special 'local's rates' which are very affordable for the quality of this DREAM venue.
We enjoyed a romantic [and amazingly excellent value] interlude in the Barrique & Java Bar ...{wine & tapas}... followed by a swim in the luxurious infinity pool and then a perfect dinner in the Peakfine Restaurant. My husband was impressed with the fair prices for an establishment such as this.
Following dinner we were surprised with complimentary truffles and a beautifully hand written 'Happy Anniversary' ... in chocolate on a plate.
This was my husband's first time here and he especially noticed the "total lack of hotel noises" in our beautiful room.
The staff {and management} is consistently accommodating and friendly
We couldn't have been more pleased with our evening.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Happy Belated 44th Anniversary! What a special day this must have been for you and your husband, we are so honored that you allowed us to celebrate this with you! I am so pleased that you had such an elegant, tranquil and delicious visit with us at Sparkling Hill.

Thank you for noting how accommodating and friendly all of the staff and management are, we are truly blessed to have such a dedicated team that tries to make every guests stay unique and memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to welcome you back for your 45th Anniversary and sooner!

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We took advantage of the Father's Day special offered by the Resort so we paid $145 (+tax) for one night, which included the buffet breakfast. We wouldn't have stayed there otherwise, even though the place is exceptional in every way. I posted a review in 2011 so I don't have much else to add, other than recommending room 333 as it's at the end of the hall with floor-to-ceiling views from two sides - one of the lake, the other of the mountains. It was just a few steps to the elevator that took us down to the steam rooms & saunas. We were able to squeeze in a treatment at KurSpa on the day we left - my husband had the Honey Detox Massage and I had a reflexology treatment. The treatments were good, but overpriced in my opinion - especially since the esthetician who did my reflexology treatment said she had only been working there a month and had to refer to her chart. Still, it's a beautiful place in a beautiful setting and you definitely feel pampered while you're there!

Room Tip: Room 333 - Corner suite - amazing views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our Father’s Day special, we offer some fantastic specials throughout the year. All of our room rates do include a full hot breakfast, access to our 7 unique steams and saunas, the indoor pool complete with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky, hot pool, outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan, kneipp waterway, FunFit center, Tea and Serenity Room, which is all really an amazing value!

Room 333 is a very popular and beautiful room, I am so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy this room as we only have a few of them and they are booked quite quickly.

It is great that you were able to enjoy some of our KurSpa treatments as well, we do offer over 100 different treatments. I am however, disappointed that your esthetician who did your reflexology had to refer to a chart, this is not our standard and I truly apologize.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Sparkling Hill soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed there and had a lovely, luxurious relaxing time. Having lived in Europe we were both happy and amused at some of the more euro-style quirks this hotel has.

The room was perfect for our needs -- beautiful shower, bath and comfortable bed. My only recommendations would be to get better in-room fridges (both ours and friends of ours was not cold enough) and you had to order ice from the front desk. So I would suggest either providing each floor with an ice machine or having a cold fridge.

I would recommend staying for at least two nights to get the full benefit of the hotel & spa. The saunas and steam rooms are fabulous if a little kitschy or over-the-top - ultimately that's the name of the game at this place. The infinite pool overlooking the lake was also extraordinary.

This hotel definitely has the feeling of being new with a few little kinks to iron out. We had a coupon which gave us a discount on the nightly rate -- which ended up being a little confusing for the front desk staff to sort out. In the end we had to pay full price and after a couple of phone calls the following week they refunded us the difference. I would also say that we are unlikely to pay full rate but with their often-offered deals it makes it worth it.

The food was fabulous -- we ate in their Peak Fine restaurant the first night and the wine and food was absolutely dreamy. My only comment would be to increase available music channels/ music options to your staff & guests. We were the only ones in the restaurant and had the option of classical or what I deemed to be cheesy lounge music. We opted for classical. Breakfast buffet was also delicious although again, a little- over-the-top -- I would prefer a simpler breakfast and a better nightly rate myself.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is so great to read that you had such a lovely, luxurious relaxing time. You are absolutely right; guests do need to stay at least two nights to get the full benefit of Sparkling Hill! I am so pleased to read that you found the food to be fabulous.

I am disappointed to read of the confusion that occurred with the front desk, I truly apologize for this and we will be including your incident in our training to ensure it does not occur again. We appreciate you providing us with the opportunity to learn from this experience. It is also surprising to hear that you found our breakfast buffet to be a little over-the-top as this is not the regular feedback we have been receiving, we like to offer a variety of different options for our guests.

Thank you for your comments regarding replacing the mini bars in our rooms with cold fridges as well as increasing our available music channels in the restaurant, this is something we will be considering.

It is so rewarding to hear that you had a wonderful stay and we truly look forward to welcoming you back to Sparkling Hill.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed for business for one night. The food and dinner service was fantastic, and the views were amazing. I loved the infinity pool (very comfortable temperature) and the KurSpa experience was first rate. There are 7 or so steam and sauna rooms, each at a different temperature and humidity. Inside each spa-there are sparkling lights, or a water fountain or a pile of frozen ice to cool down with. You must see it to appreciate it. I had a great massage with an RMT too.
The room had an amazing sliding glass window that opened up half the room to the evening breeze. There was a big bathtub overlooking the Golf Course and a lovely bathroom. The bed was comfy and there was a crystal fireplace! Did I mention the sparkly ceiling lights?
The breakfast buffet was fantastic, incorporating everything from smoothies to juice to coffee, gluten free scones, toast, eggs, sausages and fresh fruit. Very good!
Treat yourself and stay here-it's a gem!

Room Tip: There are lake views or golf course views. I enjoyed the golf course view and hope to try the lake v...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your review. I am so thrilled that you had such a spectacular stay with us at Sparkling Hill. I have passed your fantastic compliments regarding the food and dinner onto our Food & Beverage department, thank you so much. The outdoor infinity pool is one of my favorite places as well, it is so relaxing with such a beautiful view of Lake Okanagan.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sparkling Hill in the near future.

Best Regards,