“A Great Experience”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Kelowna, Canada
“A Great Experience”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My sister and I booked a night at this fabulous resort, and neither of us were at all disappointed. My sister was here on business and, as I live in Kelowna, I made the bookings. I had a massage with a focus on lower back issues. Not only was this the best massage I have ever experienced, I was given suggestions as to how to relieve pain. Very professional.
The whole place is spotless, and I noticed this in particular in the stream room areas.
Our meal was delicious and we had a wonderful view of the lake.
This is a grown up spa. If you can't find your way around, all you have to de is ask.
The comment about young people taking over, I can sympathize, however, did it ever occur to you to report it to any of the staff?
Last month we stayed in a very high end resort in Sodona, a beautiful spot. The spa treatments were a joke as compared to Sparkling Hills, and cost more.
Congratulations for bringing such a wonderful place to the beautiful Okanagan Valley.
E. Scheidt

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bscheidt
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Ms. Scheidt,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay. I am very delighted to hear what a wonderful time you and your sister had.

KurSpa does offer a wonderful Lower Back Pain Management Relief RMT massage, I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed it and that Melanie was able to offer you some suggestions on how to relieve pain further, she is always very helpful and professional.

Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of the hotel, we strive at Sparkling Hill to provide a relaxing, rejuvenating and comfortable environment, as I am sure you are aware cleanliness is a key in this.

Again, thank you for your great review and I look forward to welcoming you and your sister to Sparkling Hill as return guests!

CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had very high expectations of this resort, due to previous reviews and the high cost of this vacation. I can gladly say that we were not disappointed.

We booked a couples package that was fairly all inclusive, and I would recommend it for others if they only have a short time to visit and don't plan to leave the property. We loved our mountain view room and it was immaculately clean. Meals (breakfast and dinner) were included with this package. Breakfast was good. Dinner was also good, however, inconsistent. Some of the dishes we had were amazing and others were just ok. The spa was fantastic, our treatment staff (Dawn and Kaylah) were great, and we loved the steam rooms and saunas. We tried the really cold sauna (-110 'C, yikes!) and I thought it was an ok experience, however, if I went again I would book it before my massage and not after. All of the staff were consistently friendly and helpful.

Our experience led us to believe that most of the negative comments from other reviewers were, in our opinion, unfounded. Some people mentioned dissatisfaction with the front desk staff - although no one greeted us when we arrived, our experience with the front desk staff was pleasant, and Mike followed up with a phone call after check-in to make sure we had everything we needed (he suggested that we might like some ice and a morning newspaper, which was very thoughtful of him). Others mentioned issues with portion sizes in the restaurant - I thought they were perfectly appropriate. The price point of the food is the same as in the city as are the portion sizes. The one issue that I read about that I felt was also an issue for me was noise in the spa during treatments. We could definitely hear significant hallway noise during our treatment, even over the music. I would suggest that this could be easily remedied by putting a water feature in the hall outside the treatment rooms to provide some extra white noise.

Overall, we had an excellent time, will definitely recommend Sparkling Hill to our family and friends, and we hope to be back for a second visit sometime soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Natalie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your excellent two night visit to Sparkling Hill. I sincerely appreciate you acknowledging our friendly and helpful team members and fantastic spa. Dawn and Kaylah will be thrilled that you mentioned them by name!

I was however concerned to learn of your dining experience. It is not our standard to have dinner in the Peakfine to be inconsistent, I have passed this information onto our Executive Chef Thomas Kluckner and truly apologize that you experienced this.

Thank you for the feedback you have provided us in regards to placing a water feature in the hallway outside of the treatment rooms to provide some additional white noise, what a great idea!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you, your family and your friends to Sparkling Hill!

Victoria
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've been reluctant to say anything disparaging about this resort after all of the rave reviews that have been posted. It must have been my presence of mind on arrival and extremely high expectations. I was on a one week package...with many treatments and sessions included....all treatments were excellent...however I found myself very busy keeping up with my schedule...there is an issue with the fridges (they are not adequate) management must be aware of this but fail to address the issue....ice will be delivered to your suite...sometimes within minutes sometimes a second call is required.. no in room coffee makers but there is coffee/tea available from 0600 at the Peak Fine Dining room. Many of my treatments were booked before consultation with the Naturopath....but were easily modified staff are excellent in this regard. My choice of room would be on the mountain side overlooking predator ridge...you get the early morning sunshine (blackout curtains are inadequate). Poolside you can take in all the lake views you desire...also during walks you may enjoy the same views. One suggestion take extra keys for your vehicle if you need to retrieve anything this cuts out the step of going to the desk and asking for your keys. I was promised newspaper delivery(No paper the first morning). My program is new and all meals were included (staff at Peak fine were not aware of lunch being provided) The staff and myself worked our way as the stay continued...wireless internet was spotty at best...I used the common computer in the library when required. Many guests were given tours of the facilities, this was not offered to me.....7 days was too much.. 4 night max would have been great. If you stay on the weekend, expect heavy usage...the hotels is marketing...many perks with stays...etc...i.e. free bottle of wine (catch must eat in Peak Fine Dining room as mentioned pricey and limited menu). I was rested at the end of my stay. The few minor glitches were not expected....Give it a try...read the reviews....unique remote location.

Room Tip: Mountain view overlooking golf course....you have early morning sunshine, you can enjoy lake views...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sparkling Hill. We gratefully welcome all guest feedback, both positive and constructive comments, as this allows us the opportunity to improve our services and amenities for our guests.

I am truly sorry to hear that you found our mini bars to be inadequate; unfortunately our mini bars are unable to be as cold as small fridges and I do apologize for this inconvenience. I was very concerned to read of the inconsistent service you received from our food and beverage department, I can assure that this is not our standard and sincerely apologize that you experienced this. I have passed your feedback onto our Restaurant Manager to ensure this does not occur again.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not receive a tour of the facilities, we always try to provide a tour for all of our week long guests so I apologize that you did not receive this. I can understand that you did not expect the few minor glitches that happened during your stay to happen, we are taking immediate measures to ensure these glitches do not happen again.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback and we would be grateful if you would allow us the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.

Alberta
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went with a group of women last spring. Did a review, but I see it's no longer posted.

The spa is large and busy. Services - meh...not great.

Hotel service not great - poor check in experience. Mentioned it to hotel management and it turned out that the person who checked us in was management. Yikes.

Requested late check out on our departure day due to having services booked at the spa and it was met by a steely "no" by hotel staff. It is clear they never allow this and make you feel silly for asking.

Restaurant options - not great. One formal and one very casual deli type place - slow service. Need a cab to get into town, cab took forever to come pick us up.

Loud partying at night across the hall was not addressed when security came to check on it. Only after complaints by other guests did they shut it down.

Rooms and views were nice. Main areas of hotel were either full of crystals or very plain and sterile.

We all agreed we would not return.

Room Tip: large view room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I would like to apologize for your less than pleasurable experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and are disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations. I have addressed your points with our managers and have taken measures to ensure that experiences such as yours will not reoccur.

richmond
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a large meeting at this resort at the end of April/13. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was 6 star over the top. Wonderful food, wonderful staff, wonderful meeting organizers and so appreciated the hotel manager Hans Peter and his staff. Thank-you for making the meeting so successful. Even our out of town speakers from Europe and Chicago and Carolina had nothing but high praise for the experience. We will be back !!!! Keep up the great work. So proud to have this resort in Canada .
GHL

Room Tip: lake view rooms are to die for !!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! It was such a pleasure hosting your meeting and I am so pleased to read how much everyone enjoyed Sparkling Hill. We strive each day to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional experience from the moment they arrive to the moment that they depart and it is so rewarding when we hear that we have succeeded. All of the team members will be so thrilled when I pass along your kind comments.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming all of you back in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

First and foremost, the staff was excellent throughout; very courteous and friendly. We were greeted whenever we ran into one of them whether down the hall or on the grounds. As we headed for one of the many trails, one of the groundskeepers even stopped his tractor to offer help in case we were lost.

The room was large, probably double the size of a standard hotel room. It was bright, clean and had a view of the valley below from the wall to wall picture window. The window had a sliding door that opened fully to get fresh mountain air in. There were 2 adjustable ceiling to floor shades: a blackout shade plus a translucent shade that blocked the sun but let the light through.

If you plan on enjoying every one of their 7 themed saunas and steam rooms, you will probably want to make it, at least, a two night visit. Check-in starts at 4pm; you'll want to be there promptly so you can start enjoying their excellent facilities right away. The atmosphere is casual and you will find many guests wandering around in their hotel-provided robes. Some even showed up for breakfast in the restaurant in their robes. The use of their saunas is included in the room rate. They have a rate sheet for additional services such as massages, body scrubs and various SPA treatments.

Part of the charm of a retreat is that it's set in a somewhat remote location away from the city and traffic where time slows down and you can sit back and relax; Sparkling Hill is exactly this. Of course, the other side of it is that, if you are doing a multi-night stay and wish to go out on the town one evening, you are looking at about a 20 minute drive up the highway to Vernon or about 40 minutes to Kelowna. The food at the hotel restaurant is good but the selection is rather limited and a bit on the pricey side (lack of competition will allow you to do that). Nearby Predator Ridge golf resort has another restaurant. Their menu looks a little more extensive and a little cheaper but can't rate their food as we did not get a chance to eat there. Other than that there's very little else around the area.

Pet peeves: no ice/vending machines and no self-parking. If you want some ice, you either get some from the restaurant staff or have someone deliver a bucket of it to your room. You want to quickly hop into your car so you can take a short drive down the hill to Predator Ridge? Forget about it. You need to engage the valet to get your car and to put it back later (a free service). Some may consider these two things to be pampered service but I find them annoying when a self-serve option is not provided.

A suggestion...ask for a room away from the elevators or away from a housekeeping linen area. People and staff tend to linger in these areas and conversations can get quite loud so keep away if you like sleeping in or taking naps. Second suggestion...if your rate plan comes with the buffet breakfast, don't dismay that it's the same food every morning. The kitchen will take simple special requests, for example: poached eggs or French toast.

One complaint...the bar fridge in the room was not working. We reported it right away but it was never repaired/replaced during our stay.

Overall, a good relaxing experience. We heard from some couples at the end of week-long stays who said they were getting very bored about half way through. We did four nights and would concur with this sentiment. Two to three nights sounds like an optimum stay.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms near elevators and linen closets
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am so grateful to read what a wonderful time you had with us.

We are truly blessed to be with so many talented and professional people, thank you so much for noticing the great work they do and it would be my absolute pleasure in sharing your thoughts with our entire team.

I am so pleased to know that our dedicated team members, spacious guestrooms, and remote location made your stay so memorable. I am glad that you were able to relax and rejuvenate in our 40,000 sq ft. KurSpa. There are so many things for our guests to do from hiking the surrounding trails, lounging by the indoor or outdoor pool, having a pampering treatment, participating in a daily activity, enjoying a book and tea in the Tea room or simply taking a nap in the Serenity Room! The possibilities are endless.

Since our dinner menu is a daily inspiration I can understand how you found it to be rather limited and do apologize for this. We have recently extended our menu hours of operation for Barrique & Java until 11:30pm and we do offer a complimentary shuttle between Sparkling Hill and Predator Ridge for additional dining options!

I was disappointed to read about your pet peeves. I truly apologize that you found it inconvenient that we have no ice/vending machines and no self-parking. Our restaurant staffs are always available to provide you with a bucket of ice and our Barrique & Java offers some wonderful snack items. If you did want to go down the hill to Predator, we do offer a complimentary shuttle that runs between Sparkling Hill and Predator Ridge every day from 6:00am until 10:00pm for your convenience.

I would also like to apologize that your bar fridge in the room was not working properly and that it was not repaired during your stay, our Engineering department is looking into this.

Again, thank you for your review and feedback and we look forward to your next visit to Sparkling Hill!

Worcester, South Africa
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was the perfect 3 night getaway for my wife and I on a second honeymoon. Our lakeview room was superbly furnished, and the unique European design was evident right from the start.
We loved the amazing tub right next to the ceiling to floor glass wall, overlooking Okanagan lake far below us.

A good network of beautiful trails surround this tranquil paradise, and the pools are amazing!

Room Tip: lakeviews are heavenly!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Therden,

It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your recent stay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed our two person soaker tub, it provides such true relaxation! It is great that you were able to enjoy the 12km of hiking trails that surrounds the hotel; the view is so breathtaking on all the look out points. The pools really are amazing from the indoor pool with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky to the outdoor infinity pool that overlooks Lake Okanagan, I am so glad you enjoyed them so much!

Thank you again for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back as return guests!

CEO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#4 of 20 in Vernon
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Predator Ridge Resort
#6 of 20 in Vernon

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!