“no place better..!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
richmond
“no place better..!!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a large meeting at this resort at the end of April/13. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was 6 star over the top. Wonderful food, wonderful staff, wonderful meeting organizers and so appreciated the hotel manager Hans Peter and his staff. Thank-you for making the meeting so successful. Even our out of town speakers from Europe and Chicago and Carolina had nothing but high praise for the experience. We will be back !!!! Keep up the great work. So proud to have this resort in Canada .
GHL

Room Tip: lake view rooms are to die for !!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! It was such a pleasure hosting your meeting and I am so pleased to read how much everyone enjoyed Sparkling Hill. We strive each day to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional experience from the moment they arrive to the moment that they depart and it is so rewarding when we hear that we have succeeded. All of the team members will be so thrilled when I pass along your kind comments.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming all of you back in the near future.

CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

First and foremost, the staff was excellent throughout; very courteous and friendly. We were greeted whenever we ran into one of them whether down the hall or on the grounds. As we headed for one of the many trails, one of the groundskeepers even stopped his tractor to offer help in case we were lost.

The room was large, probably double the size of a standard hotel room. It was bright, clean and had a view of the valley below from the wall to wall picture window. The window had a sliding door that opened fully to get fresh mountain air in. There were 2 adjustable ceiling to floor shades: a blackout shade plus a translucent shade that blocked the sun but let the light through.

If you plan on enjoying every one of their 7 themed saunas and steam rooms, you will probably want to make it, at least, a two night visit. Check-in starts at 4pm; you'll want to be there promptly so you can start enjoying their excellent facilities right away. The atmosphere is casual and you will find many guests wandering around in their hotel-provided robes. Some even showed up for breakfast in the restaurant in their robes. The use of their saunas is included in the room rate. They have a rate sheet for additional services such as massages, body scrubs and various SPA treatments.

Part of the charm of a retreat is that it's set in a somewhat remote location away from the city and traffic where time slows down and you can sit back and relax; Sparkling Hill is exactly this. Of course, the other side of it is that, if you are doing a multi-night stay and wish to go out on the town one evening, you are looking at about a 20 minute drive up the highway to Vernon or about 40 minutes to Kelowna. The food at the hotel restaurant is good but the selection is rather limited and a bit on the pricey side (lack of competition will allow you to do that). Nearby Predator Ridge golf resort has another restaurant. Their menu looks a little more extensive and a little cheaper but can't rate their food as we did not get a chance to eat there. Other than that there's very little else around the area.

Pet peeves: no ice/vending machines and no self-parking. If you want some ice, you either get some from the restaurant staff or have someone deliver a bucket of it to your room. You want to quickly hop into your car so you can take a short drive down the hill to Predator Ridge? Forget about it. You need to engage the valet to get your car and to put it back later (a free service). Some may consider these two things to be pampered service but I find them annoying when a self-serve option is not provided.

A suggestion...ask for a room away from the elevators or away from a housekeeping linen area. People and staff tend to linger in these areas and conversations can get quite loud so keep away if you like sleeping in or taking naps. Second suggestion...if your rate plan comes with the buffet breakfast, don't dismay that it's the same food every morning. The kitchen will take simple special requests, for example: poached eggs or French toast.

One complaint...the bar fridge in the room was not working. We reported it right away but it was never repaired/replaced during our stay.

Overall, a good relaxing experience. We heard from some couples at the end of week-long stays who said they were getting very bored about half way through. We did four nights and would concur with this sentiment. Two to three nights sounds like an optimum stay.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms near elevators and linen closets
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am so grateful to read what a wonderful time you had with us.

We are truly blessed to be with so many talented and professional people, thank you so much for noticing the great work they do and it would be my absolute pleasure in sharing your thoughts with our entire team.

I am so pleased to know that our dedicated team members, spacious guestrooms, and remote location made your stay so memorable. I am glad that you were able to relax and rejuvenate in our 40,000 sq ft. KurSpa. There are so many things for our guests to do from hiking the surrounding trails, lounging by the indoor or outdoor pool, having a pampering treatment, participating in a daily activity, enjoying a book and tea in the Tea room or simply taking a nap in the Serenity Room! The possibilities are endless.

Since our dinner menu is a daily inspiration I can understand how you found it to be rather limited and do apologize for this. We have recently extended our menu hours of operation for Barrique & Java until 11:30pm and we do offer a complimentary shuttle between Sparkling Hill and Predator Ridge for additional dining options!

I was disappointed to read about your pet peeves. I truly apologize that you found it inconvenient that we have no ice/vending machines and no self-parking. Our restaurant staffs are always available to provide you with a bucket of ice and our Barrique & Java offers some wonderful snack items. If you did want to go down the hill to Predator, we do offer a complimentary shuttle that runs between Sparkling Hill and Predator Ridge every day from 6:00am until 10:00pm for your convenience.

I would also like to apologize that your bar fridge in the room was not working properly and that it was not repaired during your stay, our Engineering department is looking into this.

Again, thank you for your review and feedback and we look forward to your next visit to Sparkling Hill!

Worcester, South Africa
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was the perfect 3 night getaway for my wife and I on a second honeymoon. Our lakeview room was superbly furnished, and the unique European design was evident right from the start.
We loved the amazing tub right next to the ceiling to floor glass wall, overlooking Okanagan lake far below us.

A good network of beautiful trails surround this tranquil paradise, and the pools are amazing!

Room Tip: lakeviews are heavenly!
Dear Therden,

It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your recent stay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed our two person soaker tub, it provides such true relaxation! It is great that you were able to enjoy the 12km of hiking trails that surrounds the hotel; the view is so breathtaking on all the look out points. The pools really are amazing from the indoor pool with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky to the outdoor infinity pool that overlooks Lake Okanagan, I am so glad you enjoyed them so much!

Thank you again for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back as return guests!

kelowna
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went for one night with 3 girlfriends to celebrate a 50th birhtday for one of them. The only negative thing was we only spent one night! Two nights would have been ideal. We felt like we were so far from home at this unique place, yet we were only 40 minutes from home. We are so lucky to have such a great place so close. the rooms, spa and dining was excellent. We got a great rate that included the room, dinner and breakfast. These types of rates arn't well advertised. We had to almost drag it out of the front desk staff to get the rate. We knew about it as some other friends had taken advantage of it, so that was kind of odd.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. All angles of the building has great views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for sending us your wonderful comments about your recent stay at Sparkling Hill Resort. I am thrilled that we created such an excellent experience for you and that you felt so far away from home. I agree with you that two nights would be much more ideal than one as you are able to fully experience everything that we have to offer in a two night stay! We do offer some wonderful rates at this time and I do apologize that it was a little difficult for you to get the specific rate you wanted but I am very glad that you were able to receive it after all!

Again, many thanks for the positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sparkling Hill in the near future.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Even if just a one night stay, this is the resort to be at for a relaxing, superb getaway. The setting is spectacular, the rooms luxurious, and the Spa so divine! We would highly recommend this experience to anyone! We rented three rooms for our family and all of us enjoyed every minute!

• Stayed April 2013
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Shonna,

Thank you so much for the fabulous review! I was thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your visit and found the KurSpa to be so divine! All 40,000 sq ft of the KurSpa truly are spectacular. You are right even if you stay just for one night you can leave feeling completely relaxed and rejuvenated. Most guests are amazed how it can feel like you are a million miles away yet you are still so close to home.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to you and your family’s next visit!

Rossland, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here as a couple with our friends for 2 nights in April 2013 (with a special deal). The Hotel is in an amazing setting, great views and plenty of wildlife nearby. We had the lake view 2nd floor.

Pro's - setting and design.
Amazing views, fabulous relaxing Sauna, Steam and Pool (the best I have encountered), Large bath with view out of panoramic windows, walk in shower/ bath room. Nice Swarovski Crystal displays within the room and throughout Hotel. Towels robes and towelling slippers for Sauna use and towels for in room use.

Wildlife - you are advised to keep your windows shut when room is vacant due to local wildlife having the urge to climb in looking for nibbles. We had no issues with this. Each morning, I was able to look out at the gorgeous view an spy the odd cute Marmot sunbathing on the rocks below. The walking trails nearby are pretty, we stumbled across some Mule dear and a few Marmots. I also recommend walking towards the Predator Ridge resort as there is a lake with some rare native birds and turtles.

Food:
Breakfast cakes are delicious! Waitresses at Breakfast were polite and helpful.

Bar Lounge: Again great sweet snacks was delicious. The the Austrian stewardess served us lovely and friendly

Cons: The reception staff are not welcoming , I have had better in a 1 star, really if I had paid top whack for this Hotel I would be a little put out, there was not a porter to hand that I could see (not that I needed one but usually standard in a top hotel).

As mentioned in the other reviews the Pool and Sauna rooms have weird hours so you need to stay 2 days to get the most benefit. I ensured I got up early on my last day for a quick dip in the pool and then straight to breakfast.

Restaurant: We did not eat at the as the menu looked limited (and not that creative) and you would be stuck if you were vegetarian (very strange for a hotel that promotes Health and Well being). Golf Club house and noted a few other Hotel patrons did the same.

During the day we ventured to a little coffee shop at the golf course (which is the nearest place if you are looking for an alternative to the Hotel. There is nothing else nearby other than the golf course, unless you want to drive to Kelowna or Vernon!

In room services there is no tea or coffee! Although there was a mini bar.

Overall, amazing Hotel for the amenities however some slight tweaks and it would be perfect, despite my negative comments I would return for the KurSpa alone!

Room Tip: Lake view would be my choice (our friend's had Mountain view which was also beautiful),
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us on your recent stay at Sparkling Hill. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed our setting and design, especially how you found our Steams & Saunas and pools to be the best you have encountered! Based on guests feedback we did adjust the hours of operation for the steams and saunas so now all guests are able to enjoy them. Guests can enjoy them before checking out in the morning and in the afternoon after checking in as they are only able to run 8hrs a day! It is great that you were able to enjoy the wildlife that surrounds us; there is so much to observe! We do have 3.5 million Swarovski crystal displayed throughout the hotel and even in some trees outside(perhaps for the wildlife to enjoy as well!).

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your breakfast and the selection available but was disappointed to read that you found the evening menu to be limited. It is a daily inspirational menu and I was very surprised to read that you did not find a vegetarian option as it is our standard to always offer one - with advance notice our Chef’s can always arrange a special meal for you as well if you wish. We have recently extended our menu hours at Barrique & Java to 11:30pm for additional dining options. We do also offer a complimentary shuttle from 6:00am to 10:00pm between Sparkling Hill and Predator Ridge for even more options! We do also offer coffee at 6:00am for all of our guests, if you wish to have it before then we would be more than pleased to arrange this for you during your next visit.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the service issue you mentioned. I was shocked and surprised to read that you found our reception staff to be unwelcoming. We pride ourselves on consistently delivering a high level of service. Your comments are being followed up directly with the department manager.

Please rest assured that we will work diligently at improving the overall guest experience and look forward to welcoming you back to Sparkling Hill as a return guest!

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Not only is Sparkling Hill one of the most luxurious and beautifully enchanting resorts I have been to but the service and staff are genuine and know how to take care of guests. It doesn't matter if you are staying a weekend or just going to experience the AMAZING KurSpa - you will be treated proper. The food was phenomenal; sticking to 'fresh & local' as much as possible, a wine selection that can give you a headache (literally), and the buffet breakfast has all the options one can possible hope for.
If you have the chance to stay, or even drive up for lunch, it is a MUST in the Okanagan!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lake view room - definitely makes a difference (you know, if you're into tha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We feel honored that you find Sparkling Hill to be the “most magnificent resort imaginable”! We are so pleased that we were able to make your stay so memorable. Our team members are really devoted passionate professionals and they will be so thrilled when I share your thoughts with them. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed the culinary side of Sparkling Hill; I will pass your compliments onto our Executive Chef Thomas Kluckner.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back as a return guest!

CEO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#3 of 20 in Vernon
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Predator Ridge Resort
#7 of 20 in Vernon

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!