“SHaRP”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Attended the "SHaRP" (Sparkling Hill a Relationship Program) in October. Magnificent hotel! The three days away felt like a whole week! Spa services very good, room are beautiful with gorgeous views, good food, wonderful service! Will come back again and again. The SHaRP was life changing. Can definitely recommend it!

7  Thank Janet W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel/spa is amazing. My sisters and I stayed in the lake view rooms, well worth the money. The rooms are open and spacious. the beds were super comfortable. the bath tub in front of the huge panoramic windows us outstanding. the swarowski crystals throughout both the room and hotel r nothing short of spectacular. We enjoyed the spa all day and had a couple of treatments. the spa is incredible and is included in your room rate. You do not have to leave the site. we went for a walk around the hiking trails all the way to the golf course (predator ridge). Breakfast is also included and is excellent. we did not have dinner there but did eat lunch two times in the smaller restaurant. it was also excellent and reasonably priced. I can't wait to go back there with my husband.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank oscar-a-gogo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beyond the glitz and sparkly things I was not very pleased with my stay. I stayed two nights, the food was mediocre, the service was mediocre but three of the major kurspas were closed. Which left the saunas and one indoor pool available. You can only take so many saunas, really. I wish they would have contacted me to advise about the closures so that I could have rescheduled my stay. I could have stayed at a best western with a pool and hot tub and had the same effect. I even had to fix handles on drawers in my room because they were falling off. I had order hot water for tea in the morning and the water had a coffee taste to it, clearly they had used the craft for coffee without thoroughly cleaning it. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm everything is working first.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sah754
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I took my partner on a day trip to the Kurspa for his birthday, despite the foreboding reviews and despite the closure of two pools. We were surprisingly impressed by the customer service, facilities, and the stunning views-- less impressed by the massages and overall value.

A couples massage with RMTs is pricy --and so is the day pass to use the awesome variety of saunas, steam rooms, and pools ($50 per person). Normally the steams and saunas are closed in the middle of the day (11-4); however, since two pools were closed for maintenance, the steams and saunas were left open as a courtesy. As an additional courtesy, we were told the day pass would be discounted 50%, and at check out, the passes were totally comped for my partner's birthday. Thank goodness for that service! We spent several rounds in the steams, saunas, igloo, and pool, and left feeling totally refreshed. But, if we had had time constraints on using these facilities OR had to pay full price, The value would have been downright awful. Thanks to that excellent customer service, we were able to get a little more for our money.

As to the couples massage, I had requested the more expensive RMT option because we wanted certified professional therapists. Our RMTs were VERY nice--they made us comfortable, listened, asked for preferences on intensity and areas of focus. They even changed our wet robes for dry ones without us asking. Though they were nice, we just didn't experience the kind of satisfaction and relish that we expected for the price. What was missing? We simply were bereft of that deep relief that comes with a great massage.

Overall, we were grateful for the excellent customer service. The steams and saunas were rejuvenating (especially the rose, crystal, and salt steams), and the views from the indoor pools and the serenity room were breathtaking, but on an ordinary day under ordinary circumstances, the only thing here extraordinary would be the prices.

1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed overnight only. With the strict rules of in and out times you have to be on the move, I quite enjoyed my stay, the facilities are very beautiful. Having the breakfast included was good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is our second visit to the resort, and I know I will return. The rooms are wonderful and we could have sat all day and enjoyed the view from our room, from either the lounge chairs or the bathtub. The spa as well I enjoyed as much as the first time, even though the outdoor pool and indoor hot tub was closed for maintenance (would have been nice to sit in the hot tub on such a cool evening). I do have to say, and I mentioned this in my first review when we were there in April, that the ambience in the lounge area and restaurant, as well as the food need some work. We went down early to have a cocktail in the lounge area and again the lights were very bright and reminded me of a cafeteria, so we sat inside a cove area, which was fine. Then went for dinner and again the lights were very bright (they need to learn that there is such a thing as a "dimmer switch"). The food was so so, again! It all seems very bland, and not much for spices or herbs of any kind. Next time I think we will bring our own picnic and eat in our room and enjoy the view! It is too bad about the lounge and restaurant area, as we saw by no one in the lounge and the restaurant half full, that we were not the only ones that felt this way. I know they are trying to be a European Resort/Spa, but they also need to listen to us locals to support them on the off season!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful view, and seem to have the same layout.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

As other reviews indicate the resort has some work to do to live up to expectation. We booked for one night after shutting down our cabin before heading back to the city. We paid peak price 349.00 - the rooms we very nice, new the view of the lake was amazing. The glass allowed the view to be seen anywhere in the room and this was a very nice detail. I assumed the glass was tinted in a way that would slightly obscure vision - I asked my husband to go outside and check. Without the blinds pulled you are in a fish bowl. Seeing that the tub is right against the window if you want to enjoy the view take that into consideration. Really other than a few construction workers there isn’t anything in front of you anyway, if you don’t care about them seeing you naked then it’s not an issue. This wasn’t a negative thing just an FYI.

The restaurant for dinner didn’t have very many choices but when our meals came they did not disappoint. The lamb and beef were cooked to perfection! The prices too were reasonable for dinner and wine etc.

My main issue was that during our stay the outdoor pool, indoor hot tub and the therapeutic pool were all CLOSED. Furthermore nobody told us this at booking or check in. We only discovered this from the notice on the elevator. We paid full price for ½ the amenities and would have done so but felt it wasn’t represented in any way as “under maintenance” when we booked. It was disappointing. Also they say you cannot use the facilities after 11am on check out. Thus if you don’t stay two nights you only have a few hours to use the spa (check in is at 4) as everything closes at 10. They open all the spa doors right at 10 to let you know its closing time. I’ve never seen that done before, seeing as this is all adults in the spa 11pm seems like a more reasonable shut down time.
We had a wonderful time despite these things but the resort has some work to do on communication and customer service to reach a top rating

Room Tip: View of the Lake a MUST!
2  Thank the_ridge_traveler