“A rare find”

Ranked #28 of 1,216 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Relationships are forged over food at OLO - whether its friends and family enjoying a boat-to-table brunch or Executive Chef & Owner Brad Holmes finding farm-fresh ingredients from hard-working neighbours. Delicious food, laughter and good conversation are always on the menu. 'Olo' means 'hungry' in Chinook Jargon, a derivative language of English, French, Chinese and Chinook, and just like the Pacific Northwest was once a gathering place for traders, OLO is where the community comes together when hungry for more than just a meal. Serving up fresh local produce, Chef Brad is part of the Slow Food Chefs Alliance and switches up the sustainable menus depending on what's coming through the kitchen doors every day. Each dish celebrates life in B.C., using only the best ingredients available and working with amazing farmers, fishermen and foragers to provide an experience that captures the essence of Vancouver Island. Handcrafted seasonal cocktails showcase the best of Vancouver Island products and the bar program highlights the region's bounties with an impressive selection of B.C. distilleries, breweries and rare Canadian whiskeys. The thoughtfully curated wine list focuses on small-batch producers that showcase the Okanagan and Vancouver Island's best wineries, alongside premium international selections.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I were lucky to get in this past weekend and really enjoyed our meal. We went for the uncommon meats (elk and rabbit) and really enjoyed tastes and experience. The restaurant is focused on local sourced foods without heavy preparations, so the flavors of the freshness can come out. Out meals really highlighted the quality and taste of the food. Try to make a reservation if you can. Enjoy

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough about the experience we had last week at Ulla. We were greeted warmly upon our arrival, We took more than a few minutes with our menus and the server was so very kind, she gave us perfect descriptions of every offering ( and we asked about them all!) The atmosphere was cozy, warm. Wine list pretty decent, but the food, oh my, the food!!
Sunchoke soup was rich and velvety with perfect sweet smokey ham and pickled mustard seeds for a little crunchy hit of acidity. Duck ham...I'm not sure words would do it justice- delicate, sweet and briny with perfectly remdered,scored and caramelized fat....!! Pork done three ways ( sausage, tenderloin and belly, maple bourbon sauce...! Beautifully marbled and perfectly cooked striploin with a jus I could've drunk by the gallon.....it was so delicious. Dessert was again, nothing short of incredible: more perfectly composed plates. We had chocolate cake and the poached pear- both served with sorbets ( chocolate and concord grape respectively) panna cotta graced the pear plate and the chocolate cake paired with hazelnut cream...and ganache and crunchy chocolate sand!!!!!
We got to speak with the chef who was gracious in answering my myriad of questions, everything is locally and ethically sourced ( another bonus)...the care and attention to every component of every dish is mind boggling to say the least. These people definitely know what they are doing and this place first on my list next time I visit Victoria.

1  Thank sugarpi
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Everything was great: food, service, ambiance. The Elk was excellent and the shortrib even better! The chocolate cake rounded of the evening perfectly.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

These guys have it right! Small resto, low key atmosphere - everyone there just seems to love the epxerience of food.

What is served - is beautfiul visually and delightful to eat - but not overwhelming - they don't go over the top to over please - the result is wonderful.

had the 3 way lamb - melted in my mouth - just wonderful

chocolate desert place - was expecting overwhelming sweetness - the multi component creation - was just divine

herbal tea - was superb.

great service, great expeirence - would do this with a small group but also would consider having a corporate meeting here and taking over the place for an evening if they let us do it - awesome

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We made reservations for 6:30 on a Saturday night. We had to call them that afternoon because we were running about half an hour late. The hostess was very kind about accommodating our change and thanked us for having the courtesy to call. We were promptly seated. Nice hum of conversation. Tables fairly close together. This is a small, intimate dining experience. We had a glass of wine (decent selection, European measurements), roasted vegetables, salads and an entree. The presentation was beautiful. My husband had the lamb and I had the elk. My husband had the beet salad and I had hearts of Palm salad. Both meals were excellent and just the right amount of food. I highly recommend Ulla's. it was an easy 15-20 minute walk from the Empress and is located in China town.