“Tasty Thai food...”

Ranked #339 of 1,205 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Fairfield
Description: We are currently closed for renovations, and expect to be open to serve our customers in May 2017.
Calgary, Canada
“Tasty Thai food...”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stopped in for a quick lunch and found that it was well worth it. The food was very tasty and the combination was great. It is a comfortable small cafe -perfect for lunch.

• Visited May 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Good.....but”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Was there for dinner last Saturday night. Food was excellent, service and wine were good, but the place was a mess, filthy carpet, badly needing vacuuming and the walls looked like they hadn't been painted for many years, badly needing maintenance and updating.

• Visited June 2012
Victoria, BC
“The best Thai food in town!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have been coming here since 2004 just before a trip to Thailand, and found the food here to be very authentic! It is always light and fresh and not oily like Baan thai, which I found was only average despite it's popularity. People should try My Thai Cafe and they will see it beats out Baan Thai, Siam and Sookjai Thai hands down! Baan Thai was greasy, Siam uses powdered coconut milk which shows and Sookjai uses canned sauces and dips. My Thai cafe makes their own light dips from scratch, I love the sweet chili sauce with bits of cucumber in it, which goes so well with their crisp light spring rolls. The Tom Ka Gai (Chicken in coconut milk soup) is the very best I have had outside of Thailand, even better as they are kind enough to remove the inedible ginger and lemongrass before serving so you get a full bowl of soup, unlike the half bowl you are left with in Thailand after removing it all yourself.

I always get the Panang, it is the rich thick flavourful coconut sauce and I add extra meat so it is a bigger plate for $15, enough for 3 ppl to share, with 2 other dishes usually a Phad thai which is awesome here and a ginger pork or vegetables with homemade peanut sauce on top which is also to die for! They used to have amazing fish cakes but I see it has been crossed off the menu, too bad, with the homemade sweet chili sauce it was amazing! The green and yellow curries are also good but need rice to hold it together and I try not to waste room with empty carbs like rice, I would rather have Phad Thai for that!

The only downside is it is a small place, rather rustic, unlike Sookjai for example which is opulent in comparison. The tables are basic and poorly painted in red, the lights are bright and it is not romantic, and there are only about 8 tables total so a reservation on a weekend is a must. They also do a booming take-out business that is often backed up so order at least 45 min ahead if you want take-out! the service is pretty good but slow if they are slammed, as they usually have only 1 server, the chefs/proprietors daughter, however the food is always fresh and hot and I haven't tried anything here that wasn't delicious, plus their dishes are consistently good which I really like and so they have my undying loyalty!!

I always get medium but the other day I had a head cold so ordered my soup hot and it literally burned my mouth, not enough that I stopped eating it but enough that I wasn't sure if it was hot hot or hot spicy until my BF tried it and had to suck on some rice to cool off his tongue lol! I liked it hot but it had so many chili seeds that it made it a bit lumpy and I do so love the broth that medium works best!

• Visited April 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Best Thai in town...hands down....”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Quaint, small restaurant near Cook and Fort. Family run with simple and gooood food. Large menu with options for everyone. I have had a pick up order ready in 10 minutes - great service. Is not the cheapest Thai food in town but very fresh and worth every dime.

• Visited November 2011
Saskatchewan
“Great Thai...great tasting!”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Small place, but great food. Our server was very helpful with us ordering suggesting items. Everything was very flavorful, with each dish having it's own unique and distinctive taste. we had everything from mild to spicy...chicken, prawns, salmon and of course the Pad Thai. Great Thai beer to go with too.
Highly recommend when in the neighborhood of Cook street!