The Bengal Lounge
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Belleville
Description: Drawing inspiration from Queen Victoria's role as the Empress of India, this colonial style lounge is known throughout Victoria for its authentic curry buffet and signature cocktail menu. While new restaurants and lounges appear in Victoria regularly, The Bengal Lounge is a favorite of residents and visitors alike. Overlooking our stately gardens, the richly appointed Bengal Lounge offers not only a delicious curry lunch and dinner buffet but also an impressive international a la carte menu. Cocktail and martini aficionados will appreciate our vast selection of signature drinks. The Bengal Lounge is a licensed lounge and all guest must be 19 or older.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

A very busy Christmas Eve lunch and the food not up to standard perhaps because the kitchen was overwhelmed with guests. Time to pay having booked for six and the Friends of the Empress discount was not available because of the holiday. They might have told us! It would have made no difference to the day we planned to book but annoying.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Old world comfort in big plush chairs and drinks that are to die for. Very efficient and knowledgeable wait staff.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

By far this is my favourite lounge, ever. Having travelled around the world, this remains my favourite place to sip a glass of champagne. The service is always spot on with a slight European edge...don't expect over the top smiling, giggling, or servers who call you 'guys' this is real life exceptional service that many other places could learn from. The space itself is cozy, taken from British occupied India the decor feels a bit like you have stepped back in time. Famous for their curry buffet, a reservation is a must. for drinks the cocktail list along with the bar-tender's knowledge of cocktails is stunning. If you are in Victoria, your trip won't be complete unless you come here

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Despite living here for 45 years, somehow this was my first visit to The Bengal Lounge. We went this evening in a party of seven for dinner and conversation.
The room itself is a sumptuous old-world Canadian Pacific lounge complete with rich furnishings, dark wood, and a large fireplace.. Very comfortable. A nice jazz band played later on. However, the lounge was packed full tonight; the room was uncomfortably warm, and too noisy to make conversation pleasant. Air conditioning, or at least opening a few windows, would have been welcome.
There was confusion at the door about reservations. The person organizing our get-together by phone was told no reservations were accepted (and it states this on the website); we arrived to a packed room and were told we should have made reservations! The wait staff said they accept reservations, in contradiction to their phone line and website. However, our organizer had spotted the last booth which would fit all seven of us, and we were in.
Because of being fully booked, perhaps, service was slow. I'm told by other members of our party that service is much better when the room is less full. Otherwise, service was polite and as efficient as it could be under the circumstances.
We all had the curry buffet. Plenty of choices at the buffet, all of it perfectly tasty, but somehow also a bit industrial and greasy. I am no expert on Indian cuisine for sure, but I know I've had better. Two of us have seafood and shellfish allergies; a chef advised us none of the offerings contained fish, but then popped back out (after we'd filled our plates!) to mention there is fish in some of the sauces. Ah. It turns out anchovies are used in the sauces. Plenty of other options at the buffet, so we were fine. Coffee and tea were excellent.

Such a crowded evening probably wasn't the best time for my first visit, so I plan on going back to eat here again under less trying circumstances. Tonight wasn't as wonderful as I was expecting; I'm hoping next time it will be.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We were at the Bengal Lounge on a Sunday night and I must admit it looked kind of mayhem the night before. However, our Sunday with the lights twinkling on Parlament and the beautiful old fan above, sitting in the leather chairs in this beautiful room was enchanting. We had visited the old Raffles hotel (pre-renovation) on our honeymoon and agreed that it had that same "colonial" feel. The food was good - not great. The buffet is actually very small, but is not really why you are here. The bar is great and has a wonderful cocktail list. The cocktails are quite generous and there is an ala carte menu, which I would prefer in the future. Our waiters were really wonderful and helpful, but not hovering. I would definitely return. It is very romantic, with tables far a part so as to be intimate, but there were tables of 4-6 nearby. Just a warning - No one under 19 allowed and they require two pieces of Identification. We had hoped to take our teens (16 & 17) to dinner on an earlier visit, but they were not admitted. A must if you are in Victoria on a cold night in need of a cozy location.

1  Thank Gemma'smum