“rename "pork mayo"”

Jade Fountain
Ranked #582 of 1,186 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“rename "pork mayo"”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

it looked like alien vomit and tasted just plain weird-who would take a pork cutlet and cover it in batter, deep fry it and then smother it with sweetened mayonnaise? then we had 6 other battered deep fried dishes-cornmeal battered fish smothered with sweet bright red syrup...wow this was the grossest food ever

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Gail W

Beijing, China
“The best meal I had in the city.”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The quality of the food was excellent, and the price was very reasonable. However, you have to wait in line to get a seat on weekend.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Johnny T
Victoria, Canada
“Dim Sum Fun”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I am not an experienced dim sum connoisseur. I actually get kind of palm-sweaty nervous when getting dim sum. Perhaps it's because I'm not quick on my feet when the ladies come by the table with their carts of food; maybe it's because I'm a pesco-vegetarian unable to enjoy the soup-dumplings and other pork-a-rific specialties; or, it could be because dim sum establishments are generally crowded and loud and the antithesis of this-introvert's favourite haunts.

But, I like Jade Fountain. Why? What makes this place different?

First, it's away from the touristy part of downtown Victoria. A plus!

Second, it's in the basement of a Red Lion Hotel which adds a cavernous albeit corporate quality of secret society. Like, you've got to be in the know to find this place. You probably won't just stumble upon it whilst taking in the beauty of Victoria.

Third, while waiting in a ginormous line one Sunday morning, a fellow patron pulled out her nail clippers and started clipping.... I know gross! But for some reason I found it oddly charming; I mean, disgusting but homey.

Fourth, I love the food selection. There is this vegetable dumpling that is flavourful and crunchy and I think I could eat a million of them. Also, if they have Chinese broccoli coming around on the carts, grab some! There are also shrimp dumplings galore. The servers have always been very nice despite my snail's paced confusion.

Quick tip: on a busy day - make sure you find the dude with the microphone calling out peoples numbers. He won't come find you to put you on the list and give you a number, you've got to find him. Also, smaller groups get seated faster during the peak dim sum times (brunch).

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank KimbertEyestain
USA
“Excellent authentic dim sum - now called Jade Fountain”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This restaurant was recommended in the Trip Advisor Forum by someone. We usually go to Don Mee, but wanted to try something different. So glad we did. It might be in the basement of the Red Lion, and not in Chinatown, but don't let that put you off.

You enter through the Red Lion side door where there are some large lions. Then, down the stairs or elevator (just follow the delicious smells) and you are in a room that feels authentically Chinese.

The dim sum was delicious. Very, very fresh and some unique combinations that we have never tried and we eat quite a bit of dim sum. The waiters were friendly enough even though we always have to ask about each dish several times not speaking any Chinese ourselves.

Overall, an excellent meal and fun experience.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank happytrailsagain
Victoria, Canada
“Great dim sum”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We have been several times for dim sum on the weekend and always have to wait. The waiting time goes fairly quickly. The dim sum are very good. We have been to other restaurants outside of Victoria that have more servers circulating with carts, but this is the best in Victoria in our opinion. The room is downstairs (elevator available) so for those who have a tendency to be anxious in a place without windows, this may not be the restaurant for you. The prices are reasonable and the service quickly responsive to requests.

• Visited August 2011