“Explore the Dark Continent without leaving home...”
Review of Blue Nile

Blue Nile
Ranked #310 of 1,196 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Buffet style dine in We also have menu
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Explore the Dark Continent without leaving home...”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

After reading the reviews (both good and bad) I decided to take my wife for a little dining cultural experience. I looked at their menu from the web site and was ready for the minimal variety. Agreed the buffet did lack a large choice of meats, and contained plenty of lentils, but so what. Before you go to a unique restaurant, look a bit into the history of the culture and see what is traditionally served. I never had lentils prepared in so many different flavors and textures (note to self…the brown ones are Very Spicy). The atmosphere was quaint and would have felt slightly closed in if more diners where present at the time I would say. I took the advice of one critic and did try the home made ice cream (Mango) and the coffee which was delicious. Also, a special delight was a nice ice cold bottle of African Beer (from Kenya). The food was continuously being replaced fresh and hot, the restaurant clean and tidy, and the waitress very friendly. I found the whole dining experience very memorable.

• Visited August 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Very Nice Experience”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

They serve real food, not the kind of food that you get at a fast food outlet. My wife and I both enjoyed the textures and the flavours . The coffee and the home made ice cream were an extra treat. An added bonus was feeling good that we eat something good for our health.

• Visited April 2012
Victoria BC Canada
“Tasty !!! A Favorite”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Excellent quality and a warm friendly atmopshere. We go here on a regular basis, while not fancy it offers excellent African food at a fair price.

• Visited January 2012
british columbia
“Very expensive for what you get. I won't be back”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My parents really wanted us to try this place. The selection was small and not fancy. almost all lental dishs and the meat dish was not good, i couldn't even eat the portion i took. and holy expensive considering my food probaly cost $3 to make they charge $25 a head and no pop included in the buffett. very disapointed, if the price had been like $15 I would be more game.

• Visited April 2011
michael196605, Owner at Blue Nile, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
1,If your parents recommended you this Restaurant it must be really good food ,restaurant
2,The buffet price in 2011 it was only $15:95 or $ 16:95 and now in 2017 the price is $17:95 So We don’t relly understand where you got $25:00 price tag ? Blue Nile Restaurant it doesn’t have price above $17:95 to day 2017
3,Their is only 3 lentil dishes out of 14 dishes .
So since your Review it’s no accurate we believe tor review its not fair review,So for this reason politely we ask you to remove your review .
Thank you.
Victoria, Canada
“Cheap, less than average food at expensive prices.”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I was excited to go try the Blue Nile, as I enjoy trying new dining experiences. The inside is quite charming looking and the staff was friendly, so I was even more excited to be there. However this changed quite quickly once I got up to the buffet. There were only a few dishes to choose from and most were made from lentils. The meat dish I did try contained tough chewy meat. The lentil dishes were more edible than the meat dishes but not great overall. I wouldn't have given this buffet such a bad rating, except in a meal when I am mostly eating lentils, which are an incredibly cheap food, I expect the price to be reflective. However, the meal for four people cost just over $100!!!! Drinks were not included in the buffet price. It was a dissapointment all around, and I will not be back.

• Visited August 2010