“Still a Great Place”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Port Hadlock, Washington
“Still a Great Place”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

For the past several years, Sam's has been the place I'd stop over for a light lunch/snack, usually before taking the ferry back to the States. A couple of reviews indicated that it recently had slipped a bit in quality and service, so on this most recent trip with family and friends from Texas, I had avoided Sam's. On our last day in Victoria I inquired at a shop on Douglas St. as to the best place for a light lunch, and both clerks enthusiastically recommended Sam's; and I'm glad they did. It was still the same charming and delightful place I'd thought it to be. We all had their homemade chili and shared a great Nanaimo Bar. Sam's still rocks!

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Good Soup & Sandwiche”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I found this while walking around downtown Victoria. We both had a ham & cheese sandwich with a bowl of split pea soup. Soup was very good. Sandwich was loaded up with meat, cheese and veggies. The perfect lunch. Nice folks behind the counter.

• Visited September 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Yummy!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nothing beats walking into this little deli and eating a Montreal Hot Meat Sandwich after being out in the rain all day. Hungry and needing to eat fast before hopping the clipper back to Seattle I stumbled upon this place. Initially I was going to go to the Soda Shoppe but once inside the food looked too delicious to pass up. Eat here if you want something reasonable in price and fast!

Visited December 2012
Vancouver Island, Canada
“A Victoria classic that is heading downhill....”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I grew up in Victoria and Sam's Deli was the greatest sandwich shop ever back in those days. I was disappointed when I went back this weekend for a soup and sandwich break. I ordered the special which was a ham sandwich and split pea soup. I asked if I could substitute roast beef for ham and the server rudely stated that there was no way that was going to happen. The other server then chipped in and said it shouldn't be an issue and they argued right in front of me over it. They decided there was on substitutions with the special and then proceeded to ask me which soup I wanted even though the special said it was split pea. I was too annoyed to point out the hypocrisy. The sandwich was boring and the soup was average. A far cry from the old days when they served towering sandwiches that needed careful planning to eat to avoid making a mess of things. I could have put this weekends piddly little sandwich under a newspaper and it wouldn't have made a bump. Sad. Another Victoria mainstay slides into the abyss....

• Visited December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Very disappointing, a shadow of yesteryear.”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I I had a hard time understanding the server. The presentation in the store was not appealing, The Nanimo nanaimo bars looked, rightly or wrongly, as if bought from Costco....
This used to be my favorite sandwich place in Victoria. No more. I used to enjoy there smoked meat sandwiches... Times change.
At 5:20pm there were very few people... Bad sign. it seems to attract mostly ( a precious few) Japanese tourists.

• Visited November 2012