“Do not go for the coffee!”

Breakwater Cafe and Bistro
Ranked #224 of 1,205 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: James Bay
Description: The Breakwater Cafe & Bistro opened in Autumn 2012. Formerly known as the Ogden Point Cafe, the restaurant has been a staple in James Bay for nearly 20 years. Enjoy a glass of wine or a pint of beer while taking in the sunset from our patio, or pop into the cafe for a coffee or snack before a stroll on the breakwater. We offer counter service from 9:00 until 4:00pm serving breakfast until noon and lunch until 4:00. Full Bar and Table Service starts at 4:00pm onward until we close. Join us every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday night for live music and local musicians starting at 8:00pm. When summer hits have a seat on our Licensed Patio that basks in the sun all day long. Have a refreshing beer, with local fish n' chips from our Kraken food truck. Open from June until October and weather permitting. Whatever the occasion, we look forward to having you as part of this great experience we now call The Breakwater Cafe + Bistro!
Victoria, Canada
“Do not go for the coffee!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I only ever go to this establishment (been a dozen times or so) for coffee and perhaps a Danish so take this review with a grain of salt. The coffee is the worst brew imaginable! Such a cool location with great views of the Strait, yet somehow the owners cannot offer a java blend that does not taste like dirt. If my 88 year old mother (with no taste buds remaining) didn't like the place so much, I would never go back...even Tim Horton's brews a better cuppa! Oh and the prices are high, I suppose given the unique location and all. Staff is generally aloof and stand-offish...another area the owners need to focus on improving.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank trentlarge

Victoria, BC
“It's ok.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Now called the Breakwater Cafe, they have changed from cafeteria style to table service, at least for dinner. It's a cozy and pleasant and warm place, but the music was way too loud considering how few diners there were. The hockey and football games on the two big screen televisions were easy to ignore, but this isn't a sports bar or a "happening place", so why not turn the volume down to a reasonable level so conversation is easier? The service was friendly and attentive, but it took far too long for our meals to appear, again considering the scarcity of diners. My glazed salmon was quite good, the vegetables were cooked and seasoned perfectly, and the salmon was tasty, it just needed to be taken off the grill a bit sooner as it was drier than I would have like it. My companion opted for the turkey club and a Greek salad on the side, and she proclaimed it all to be "all right". Go during the day, and enjoy the views over Juan de Fuca Straits.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Dougi1
Victoria, Canada
“Better thank expected”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Ogden Point cafe was well know to us as locals and we had gone to it for many years.
Recently it changed ownership and knows as the Breakwater Cafe and Bistro. We had family coming in from a cruise who wanted to spend some time with us and while on the cruise messaged us to meet them there. With great trepidation we went, as I had spent time reading about it on Urbanspoon, Facebook and of course here. The majority of the reviews were negative and I was fearsome that our family reunion would be spoiled. The cruise ship arrived at six and we watched it come in from the breakwater, as we walked by we noticed the place was packed and I began to think we had to go elsewhere. Once the boat was docked my wife and I headed towards the cafe to secure a table for six. We arrived and were greeted immediately and to our dismay only tables inside were available. However the staff went out their way to set up a table for six. Our family coming off the ship were delayed but before they disembarked we noticed a table outside was free and asked the staff to move. The accommodated us without a problem. While we waited we enjoy beer and natchos - the natchos were good - the usual pub/cafe type. Once our party arrived the waitress took our orders- there was a but of challenge as some our party were lacto intolerant and others were kosher only. For the kosher folks a specific pizza was made that worked well as did the salmon with rice (which also helped the lacto intolerant person). The food is typical cafe/pub type fare pizza, burgers,salads wings etc. In the previous incarnation the cafe allowed you in "school" cafe style in that you line up and point to what you want from behind a counter. The new cafe has changed this in that the old way version still happened for breakfast and lunch but after 4 pm it changes a there is a bar with beer wine and cocktails. This actually works nicely as in the past you would get your food from the line up and then hunt for a table now after four they will do your best to accomodate you.
The food itself was fine nothing you would rave about but good well cooked tasty meals. I had a pulled pork ciabbetta with a salad it was good - I would not say awesome. Everyone in our part enjoyed their food. The service was good - although the waitress did forget to ask me (mein host) what I wanted but that was quickly rectified. For a party of six including drinks but no dessert, the bill was just under $100 which seemed quite reasonable. I would have to say in spite of all the negative reviews I have seen this is a place I would go back to as the views are spectacular - and to some extent I am not fussed if the meal is not outstanding as the views and service make up for it - plus we had no room for dessert and want to try - I would be very wary of negative reviews as people do seem to be overly fussy

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cicero12
Javea, Spain
“AKA the Breakwater”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wow ... lovely little cafe sitting on Ogden Point for coffees, muffins, cakes - the view is fantastic and the staff friendly. The cruise ships sale by regularly. Even run into some old friends!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank berna57
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“A nice end to a walk”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Staying with some locals we joined them for their regular Wednesday morning walk, having completed a 10km walk we stopped off for a bite to eat. The pulled pork sandwich was excellent, all reasonably priced with good portions.

Visited August 2013