“while in Victoria”

Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: View Street
Description: Welcome to the Irish Times Pub, where excellent design and authenticity are at the heart of downtown Victoria's BEST IRISH PUB! Located at 1200 Government Street, the Irish Times Pub is home to 190 seats over two floors with 80 seats available on our patios, opening onto both Government Street and historic Bastion Square. Our concept goes far beyond mere architecture though. The Irish Times opened with everything it takes to make a pub successfully Irish, including authentic Live Irish music, 7 nights a week. The tradition of Ireland has also been extended to our menu, which has been developed on a philosophy of creating traditional Irish food and drink that is both contemporary and funky, showcasing Irish Pub Food as you would see in Ireland today. We have also just been awarded the best Irish pub in North America 2017.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I traveled to Victoria for a day, and found the pub next to the government office which wa ver convenient. I had lunch and a beer, the place is excellence, the attention was great. Sitting in the patio was very cool, because you will enjoy good food and a good scenery
This place is a must vist while in Victoria.
Too bad for I couldn't be there for a few more beers.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We travel to Victoria every year during the summer and sample some of the disparate outdoor restaurants food and overall ambiance. This pub is located at 1200 Government Street, several blocks up from the harbour. The outdoor patio is reclaimed sidewalk and the hustle and chaos of the street noise is a distraction, albeit that was our choice to sit outside. Initially, service was extremely slow. We waited about 10-15 minutes for someone to come by and bring our menus. I started with a glass of Hermann's Dark Lager from Vancouver Island Brewery - $7.17. It was good. My wife had a large glass sauv blanc - $9.00. She had the Cobb salad - $14.00 and I had the standard "gut bomb," the Blarneystone burger - $17.00. It also was good albeit the bun fell apart. The fries were probably the best I have had. Total bill with taxes $51.15. While somewhat overpriced, what the heck - we were on holidays. As previous reviews have indicated, it is a tourist bar, not an Irish pub and the music was rock and roll, not that I mind rock and roll. My suggestion is a 50/50 bet neither recommending nor discourgaging you to take in this restaurant.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Before I even walked into this pub I was blown away by the beautiful building! From that moment on my expectations where consistently exceeded! The staff where warm and welcoming. The service was top notch! My server was very professional and friendly, not to mention stunningly beautiful (always a plus).
I am a huge beer lover and the selection of beer on tap was out of this world. I had a lot of fun trying a few new local beers and of course a couple perfect pints of Guinness. My friend and I both ate a the pub and where once again blown away by the food. I had a curry and he had the bangers and mash, both where out of this world. You would be hard pressed to find better food even in a nice restaurant! Not your average pub food that's for sure.
To top that all off they had a live band playing Irish tunes. They where awesome and couldn't have been a better fit or addition to the great atmosphere. All in all a 10 out of 10 that I would recommend to anyone. I'll certainly be back on my next trip to Victoria!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My review is only based on the service and product at the bar. We did not eat here. It's in a restored, very pretty, bank building and we had high hopes. Sitting at the 1/3 full bar we were ignored for quite awhile until the attractive bartender finished her long conversation with a threesome of admiring friends.

A glass of mediocre wine was $15 for a portion-controlled glass.

There's simply too many better places close by .... walk in, admire the restoration and walk out.

3  Thank BigD062
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Drink and food is extremely over priced...stay well clear!! The Guinness was the reddest that the hubby ever drank. No Irish pub atmosphere. Unfriendly staff. The band played Cajun music. Disappointing.

4  Thank castleofmyown