“Very very good”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Victoria, BC
“Very very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have eaten here many times, the service is amazing, the waiter always looks out for me, to the point of discouraging me ("it's too much for you") from ordering 2 appetizers simply because I want to try them both. Lol. My assertations that I'm a glutton always falls on deaf ears and he's always right, I am always satiated and never leave stuffed to the brim. Ok maybe once but that was a New Years 5 course meal where I ate too much bread because it was so darn good!

On one memorable occasion I had the Moroccan lamb on a bed of couscous where the couscous had bits of dried fruits in it which I never had when I lived in Morocco for 9 months so I am guessing it was a delicious modern twist on the classic. The lamb is always a perfect medium rare and I have yet to have an unsatisfactory meal here.

The crab cakes I had here once were the best I have ever experienced and the salad garnish had the best salad dressing that I have ever had! The do a great New years dinner as well as having a very reasonable $30 fixed price menu but I usually order a la carte so I can have duck, venison or the lamb.

I noticed a few months ago that they are closed for renovations and re-opening May 10th with a new menu which I can't wait to try!! I live up the block and the brewpub there at Swans (they share the same building) has just terrible food to the point that I wrote a complaint letter then used the gift certificate I was given to go to Wild Saffron instead! They do not share the same kitchen, in fact I believe Wild Saffron uses 4th year culinary students or recent graduates to staff their kitchen, and they have tv cameras so you can watch your meal being prepared 1 at a time, talk about attention to detail! I am guessing the tv screens will be gone with the reno, but I kinda liked seeing how clean the kitchen is and the attention going into plating, although it was a bit distracting. Swans is owned by the University which is why I think they utilize the students, I'm not quite sure of the details.

In summation Wild Saffron is my #2 choice for fine dining in Victoria, closely following The Mark at #1 although they are quite comparable!

Visited February 2012

Vancouver
“A good place to go but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

since the Chef has changed a few years ago, it never came back to it,s former very good and inspired cuisine. It's now a nice place for dinner but expect average food.

3 Thank Pfaffi
Arlington, Virginia
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Given the proximity to all the hyperbole surrounding the touristy restaurants in downtown Victoria, we went into Wild Saffron not expecting them to live up to the interesting menu that they offer. Man, were we wrong.

We arrived at about 9:30pm, which we thought might present a challenge ... and least to the degree of motivation in the kitchen. In addition, a party of 10 businessmen arrived just behind us for dinner. None of this mattered as the server took his time to answer our questions, make suggestions, and fill our drink orders. In addition to enjoying the relaxing ambience [with one exception, noted later], we watched our orders being prepared in the kitchen via the ChefCam showing on the flatscreen TV. Whether or not this gimmick keeps the chef[s] on his[their] toes and/or improves the preparation, it was interesting to watch and - indeed - the starters and mains we enjoyed were delicious ... and pleasant to look at.

I'm a fan of fresh ingredients that are well- and simply-prepared while my partner appreciates savoury, complex dishes. We were both very pleased and satisfied by our meals. The wonderful roasted beet salad I had justified each of its ingredient as it came together with the whole. My partner enjoyed the braised calamari. For our mains, we really enjoyed the halibut and the papardelle. I was a very fine meal and a step above other meals we had during our stay in Victoria.

The only downside to our dining experience is the door that the restaurant shares with the hotel bar to which it is connected. Not that I don't enjoy the song, but "Stairway To Heaven" was a bit much at that volume in those brief moments when someone left the door open. The staff were quick to shut the door, but it just made for one of those memorable quirks that, I suppose, punctuated a wonderful meal.

• Visited August 2011
Vancouver
“Excellent food, imaginatively arranged, well priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Attached to the Swan Hotel this is a beautiful little restaurant with great food and attentive service at a very reasonable price. We both had the lamb which was delightful. Mains and wine are sensibly priced. I will always go here from now on when I am in Victoria

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank VancouverDave
West Sacramento, California
“Most amazing dinner ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

After a somewhat disappointing trip to Victoria we ventured off of the beaten path to this absolutely wonderful restaurant! Wild Saffron made our visit to Victoria memorable. The food was exquisite, as was the service. I would make a special trip to Wild Saffron from the U.S just to experience the food again!

• Visited July 2011