“A good place to go but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Wild Saffron Bistro - CLOSED

Wild Saffron Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Vancouver
“A good place to go but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

since the Chef has changed a few years ago, it never came back to it,s former very good and inspired cuisine. It's now a nice place for dinner but expect average food.

3 Thank Pfaffi

Arlington, Virginia
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Given the proximity to all the hyperbole surrounding the touristy restaurants in downtown Victoria, we went into Wild Saffron not expecting them to live up to the interesting menu that they offer. Man, were we wrong.

We arrived at about 9:30pm, which we thought might present a challenge ... and least to the degree of motivation in the kitchen. In addition, a party of 10 businessmen arrived just behind us for dinner. None of this mattered as the server took his time to answer our questions, make suggestions, and fill our drink orders. In addition to enjoying the relaxing ambience [with one exception, noted later], we watched our orders being prepared in the kitchen via the ChefCam showing on the flatscreen TV. Whether or not this gimmick keeps the chef[s] on his[their] toes and/or improves the preparation, it was interesting to watch and - indeed - the starters and mains we enjoyed were delicious ... and pleasant to look at.

I'm a fan of fresh ingredients that are well- and simply-prepared while my partner appreciates savoury, complex dishes. We were both very pleased and satisfied by our meals. The wonderful roasted beet salad I had justified each of its ingredient as it came together with the whole. My partner enjoyed the braised calamari. For our mains, we really enjoyed the halibut and the papardelle. I was a very fine meal and a step above other meals we had during our stay in Victoria.

The only downside to our dining experience is the door that the restaurant shares with the hotel bar to which it is connected. Not that I don't enjoy the song, but "Stairway To Heaven" was a bit much at that volume in those brief moments when someone left the door open. The staff were quick to shut the door, but it just made for one of those memorable quirks that, I suppose, punctuated a wonderful meal.

• Visited August 2011
Vancouver
“Excellent food, imaginatively arranged, well priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Attached to the Swan Hotel this is a beautiful little restaurant with great food and attentive service at a very reasonable price. We both had the lamb which was delightful. Mains and wine are sensibly priced. I will always go here from now on when I am in Victoria

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank VancouverDave
West Sacramento, California
“Most amazing dinner ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

After a somewhat disappointing trip to Victoria we ventured off of the beaten path to this absolutely wonderful restaurant! Wild Saffron made our visit to Victoria memorable. The food was exquisite, as was the service. I would make a special trip to Wild Saffron from the U.S just to experience the food again!

• Visited July 2011
Victoria, Canada
“Service does restaurant a disfavour !!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

We went to this restaurant before and always found it excellent. My girlfriend and I decided to go there after some Christmas shopping and we were welcomed at the door and seated promptly. The service was fine however we had a young server who gave the impression of being new at the job. She was very pleasant but became overwhelmed when around 7:30 or so groups of people came in. We had our two courses and waited for our hostess to come so we could give her our dessert order. There were only 3 hostesses and one was doing pretty well only water. When she came to fill our glasses it had been 20 min. since our main course we asked her if she could get our desserts and ordered them. Our main hostess brought them to us 20 min. later. It took 40 min. between the main course and dessert therefore we missed our ride home and had to take a late bus back. It really " killed" an otherwise fantastic evening our very good food and a wonderful ambiance. You can't really blame the hostess as she was pretty well alone in our area, but she paid the price by not getting a big tip and she left a bit miffed. I will recommend this restaurant to my friends because it is very nice and the food is great but better attention to the patrons makes a difference !!!

1 Thank Carmelle N