“Good Value Indian Restaurant”

Spice Jammer Restaurant 1996
Ranked #190 of 1,197 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Victoria, Canada
“Good Value Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

In a city where it is difficult to find a good Indian curry, the Spice Jammer does a good job. The portions were good, the flavour excellent, the quality (especially the chicken breast) was better than expected. Our servers were quick and attentive and the courses all arrived on time. The place was full, with customers waiting at the door, by the time we left. So other Victorians must also agree that this was a good attempt at Indian, East Africa cusine. I thought the price reasonable and the menu adequate. They catered well for my vegetarian wife with a good selection of vegetable and lentil dishes. I would return again on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday evening when they offer a $20 meal. If you like Indian food, give this place a try.

1 Thank Douglas A

Woodbridge, CT
“Excellent! Spices just explode in your mouth”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As my husband and I tour different places, locating excellent and/or unique takes on Indian food is a goal. I read many of the TripAdvisor reviews and they were all true. The food is simple yet excellent. One way I gauge quality is when I get to experience the different layers of spice from the initial burst on the palette to the explosion of heat in the back of the throat. We had all of this and more. We ordered the main signature dish of Butter Chicken and also Palak Chicken (with spinach, on the bone). The Naan bread was amazing, hot, buttery, perfect for dipping into the rich sauce of the Butter Chicken. Everything is a la carte but the prices are very reasonable. We ordered extra to have the next day! It is unfortunate that they are located so far away from the Wharf area because we were the only ones in the restaurant for quite some time. Well worth the trip, I will be a return customer when I return to Victoria.

1 Thank Cheryl E
New Westminster, Canada
“Good quality and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our second visit, and this time we used a Groupon. On the edge of downtown. Easy parking nearby (free before 6 if you know the area, free everywhere after 6). Pleasant atmosphere, if a tad dark till you get used to it. Well-spaced tables. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Good selection of draft and bottled beer, and at a glance the wine list looked good too.

The food is good. I had the kuku paka and enjoyed it - but note this is chicken and potato in a white sauce, and if you add rice as I did it gets really weird! My SO had the butter chicken and enjoyed it. Both were spiced exactly as we requested. Only a few dishes come with extras; we split an order of rice and a naan (one large one for $3) and went home stuffed. But those were extras, and a side vegetable would have been more again. It's good value for money, but it's not cheap. But don't compare Spice Jammer to inexpensive Indian takeouts, that's not fair. Think about where else you might have gone for proper food and service in a nice room. It's competitive enough then.

1 Thank kawaguy
Calgary
“Great food, friendly staff”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The kuku paka was excellent. As was the beef samosa. Rest of the food was also great. We will return to try some other menu items.

Victoria, Canada
“Great food”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great food, and great service!! We really liked the chicken masala!! The rice with cardamom was delicious as was the lamb baked in their special clay pots.

• Visited July 2013