“Come for the beer and not the food!”

The Penny Farthing Olde English Pub
Ranked #94 of 1,226 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hampshire and Monterey
Transit: There are regular scheduled buses that travel down Oak Bay Ave.
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We'd been in for a drink in the week and decided we'd pop back in for food. What a mistake!

The starters were fine, but the mains were delivered as the starters were removed from the table. I had a curry and my other half had bangers and mash. Both meals tasted like bad micro meals, if your familiar with British chain pubs then my only comparison is this was worse than a weatherspoons. I never leave food, but just could not eat this. The chicken was stringy, fatty and chewy and my partners sausages tasted grisly and cheap. His mash didn't taste at all like potato and the veg wasn't fresh at all.

For somewhere to go for a quick drink this place is really good, but I wouldn't recommend to eat here.

1  Thank Sammy-stardust

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Such a joy to find a pub offering a wide choice of local, craft beers. Food was well presented and tasty. The place has such a vibrant atmosphere and full of characters from the local community .
Not really a place to take your kids but worth a visit if your passing through Oak Bay.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We went to the penny farthing pub after it had been recommended by the hostess at the nearby B & B at which we were staying. We enjoyed our meal. The menu had a good choice, the food was typical pub style with good portions. The craft beers were tasty, although they were out of our first choice. Service was friendly and prompt. The pub is in a good location, in the quaint litte oak bay village. A nice choice!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Last week was so disappointing. My wife order her salad dressing on the side and it did not come that way -- was even soggy! I ordered the mussels which were good but the bread which is listed on the menu did come and when I asked for it, the response was 'is it really'? Then to top things off, our bill included a more expensive wine that I had ordered. I went back this week and it was okay but once again, there was no bread with the mussels!! The response was "it's not included if you order the fries to go with it" which is odd since you have to pay extra for the fries. The bread did come eventually (compliments of the manager?) and the mussels were good.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Shhh.... don't tell the Mrs. but I like beer. I like beer a lot, with a preference for ambers, maybe, but I'm pretty multi-cultural when it comes to a pint or two.

The Farthing is a faux English pub. Wood and brass and beer and people and green and rugby stuff on the walls. The beer is cold, the service very nice for the most part. The bar-keeps are all pretty good as are most of the waitresses. The beer is cold. The beer is good.

The food, though, isn't. Some stuff is OK, most is bland or boring or incredibly mediocre. We don't eat there anymore. Not worth it. The beer, however, is cold. The beer, moreover, is good.

Stop by the Farthing for a pint or two. It's a lovely spot in Oak Bay. Yeah, it's a bit pricey so you might want to check the price on some of those ooh-la-la, fancy beers and certainly on those lovely smelling, though awful-tasting, scotches.

Visit soon. Visit often. Just eat somewhere else.

1  Thank NC M