“One of few patios in Victoria”
Review of Swiftsure Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Swiftsure Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: Canadian, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place was not especially great, but the patio was large and right by the water. The wait staff was very friendly and even took my drink back at no charge when I didn't like it. It is a great place to sit out and have a drink while taking a break from touring and exploring.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent a few days on the patio here during the Duece Days car show. We had the best waitress ever!!! The beverages were good and the food was excellent. The last night we were there we enjoyed the prime rib special in the restaurant and was pleased as well with the great service and the food quality. Would reccommend as a great place to watch the world go by!!!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

After a beautiful Tally-Ho ride through Beacon Hill park, my sister and I thought the Swiftsure would be perfect for a drink and snack. We walked into a casual pub type atmosphere and sat down and began to wait.

We were ignored by a waitress and then ignored by another. We thought service could be better at the bar as only two people were sitting up there. We looked around from that point of view and saw the reason(?) the girls had no time to acknowledge us, the room looked like a bomb went off in it. Maybe our arrival time was unfortunate and a football team had just gone through and they were severely short-staffed? Either way, not my problem.
Sat at the bar and watched two bartenders ignore us further. One female was shuffling papers from one point to another actually avoiding eye contact with us and the male was sorting things out on his back bar. We were ignored for several minutes again. An acknowledgement of our presence might've kept us there for long enough for them to get organized. We both own/work in service capacities and understand catching up after a rush.

We got up and left. I don't know if anyone ever knew we were there for over 15 minutes, ignored by 4 staff members. Went to the hotel (Chateau Victoria) next door and were treated like royalty.

2  Thank Kel B
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'm a local in Victoria and this place has been a landmark for years.
Unfortunately I've never been so disappointed in service and cleanliness from such a goldmine of a location. This place should have been hopping and happy but when we entered, all I saw was angry patrons with no drinks, dirty tables, and a server tooling around taking lots of time doing nothing.Not to mention the place was half empty at 8:30 on a Monday night. ( To the servers credit, she was the only staff member that actually moved at all.)
We went from one dirty table to the bar after being completely ignored, and behind the bar was 2 bartenders doing nothing but looking around, maybe moving a glass from point A to point B. After helping ourselves to a menu, trying to be obvious that we were there in the first place, we just got up and left.
I don't think that they were even aware that we were there in the first place.
We went over to the Chateau Victoria hoping for a glass of wine and a desert, and were not disappointed! The service, quality, price and attitude of the staff were a complete 180* from the mess of the Swiftsure we had just left. The attitude of the bartender was fantastic, as was the service, food, and price. In fact, the priced were very similar to the ones on the menu of the Swiftsure.
I would recommend the Chateau any day, because you know that this is a business that cares about their patrons and their staff is there to make a good impression. I was really impressed and will go back.

3  Thank Tara L
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place is not much to look at from the outside, but it always seems busy (we stayed at the hotel it's in) so we decided to give it a try. The food was excellent (we had mussels, calamari, Caesar salad ) and the portions were plentiful. Sitting outside was excellent, the view is great, the staff is friendly. All around a great experience.

1  Thank Glen W