“Fabulous”

Naughty Nellie's Not Just Fish & Chips
Ranked #162 of 1,239 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place is what I would call a great "hole in the wall" place. It is in the suburbs in a non descript little mall with lots of free parking and the decorating is what you would expect. What makes it extra special is the extra special fish and chips at an amazing price. The Halibut is great and the home made cold slaw is wonderful. If you want great simple food, quick service, good price and people that remember you this is the place for you. And don't tell too many people because we want to still be able to get a table!!!

3  Thank AnneT4021

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I grew up in Victoria and we used to have a longlist of go-to places for fish and chips scattered all over. Now most of them are closed and some have faded to low quality trading on past quality.
Naughty Nellies on Shelbourne is not "Nautical Nellies" in Downtown Victoria. I read other reviews on Trip Advisor and the two "terrible" ratings I read here sound much more like Nautical Nellies. If you want good quality Halibut & Chips like they used to be go to Naughty Nellies on Shelbourne.

1  Thank Blackduck59
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Naughty Nellie’s Not Just Fish, is the sort of fish and chip shop I’ve been waiting to locate in Victoria for too many years. Being a relocated Brit, I had all but given up on finding an authentic old-style fish and chip shop, when a friend recently asked if I’d tried the long established “Naughty Nellie’s. (NOT to be confused with Nautical Nellie’s.)

Small, warm, cozy and clean, this delightful little shop is tucked away in a strip mall at the northern end of Shelbourne St.in Victoria, BC.

Despite the place being packed, we were seated immediately, albeit a bit too close to the door which when opened as it was often, allowed the evening chill to waft over our table. Nonetheless this was eclipsed by the cheerful warmth of the interior and we considered ourselves fortunate to be seated without reservations at 5:00pm on a Friday evening.

My friend had two pieces of cod and chips and I had one piece of halibut and chips. Both were served promptly with homemade coleslaw, homemade tartar sauce and whole-wheat buns with butter. We dithered over ordering tea as we’ve been disappointed many times in local cafés where we got only lukewarm, weak tea in a pot that dribbled, but we took a leap of faith and ordered a pot for two. Voila! Piping hot tea, no dribbles — and milk — without asking. Bliss!

Both orders of fish were cooked perfectly in a light batter to a golden brown. The cod was moist and the halibut as it should be, fresh, moist and flaky and the abundant portion of chips were hot, crisp and — like the fish — greaseless.

The coleslaw could have had more of a bite for my taste and I prefer a creamy slaw but in this instance I’d consider any criticism of the condiment picky because everything else was perfect including the prompt, friendly service.

If you are from out of town and looking for a great fish and chip supper, I strongly suggest you bypass the tourist traps downtown, get on the number 28 bus (confirm this) at Douglas and Fort St. going North along Shelbourne. Tell the bus driver you want off at Naughty Nellie’s. It’s at 4081 Shelbourne St. (about a 20 minute ride) and worth very minute of the trip.

What a joy to enter into a sparkling establishment where the owners know exactly what they are doing and obviously have a deep respect for their clientèle.

For the two of us, our fish and chip suppers cost a very reasonable $26.00 and change. I was surprised to see only one young server on the floor but she took care of her “full house” with ease, in a quiet efficient professional manner. Well done everybody! We’ll be back. PS: Any chance you'll be baking any homemade pies in the future?

5  Thank ScottieMcFrugal
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We love our fish and chips in the UK where i come from. I have been totally disappointed with quality and price until i discovered Naughty Nellies! The food is very good and for what you get - a good price.

1  Thank CarolineNewman
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Get the family pack (about $30), cod and halibut and tons for fries. Includes slaw, tartar sauce and rolls. you will not finish it. All fried items are golden brown and done perfectly. Slaw is nice and crunchy. Friendly folks behind the counter.

Great for a takeout dinner for four.

2  Thank Sunny222