“Home cooking with great service”

James Bay Tea Room and Restaurant
Ranked #224 of 1,226 Restaurants in Victoria
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: James Bay
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The food is average, home cooking style sandwiches and soups, etc. The coffee was amazing though (didn't try the tea, ironically). The service was great. I went in with my 19 month old around 1pm and they were very accommodating. Found us a table with room for the stroller, brought us crayons and a colouring book, and when I ordered my meal with a cup of soup they brought a half cup at no charge for my daughter. Don't go in expecting to be treated like the royal family (although they're all over the walls), but if you want to feel like family, I would recommend it.

1  Thank mac_tina

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The cafe is located in a quaint, well established neighbourhood near the Farmer's Market. However, tea was served in ordinary, plain, white mugs; and jam was in mass produced one-serving plastic containers. We expected more charm and home-style cooking than we got. It was OK, but nothing special or memorable. Most of the light tea plate was just sweet carbs that did not seem to be anything special.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The service was absolutely terrible, kitchen staff/servers were just standing around hanging out talking innapropriately in the dining room. We got told to sit wherever and then the only table that was not cramped beside the next and had a decent view had not been cleared yet. So we stood to wait and see if we'd be able to sit there and they were not paying attention to us so we finally asked the server who was just sitting doing cutlery if it would be okay for us to sit there. She was extremely rude and unimpressed about having to clear the table, pulled the cloth off and got crumbs all over my mum and treated us very poorly. Making me help put the new cloth on and then they were all talking saying how she deserved "waitress of the year" amongst other things. We felt so uncomfortable that we left. The kitchen looked gross, the staff looked like they were brought off the street. Definately not the "high tea" experience we were looking for. Would definately NOT recommend this place to anyone. We ended up going to the "white heather" in Oak Bay, and what a night and day difference. The prices were incredible.. the food was freshly made (not ordered in like this place) and the server was an absolute doll, from the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out we were treated with 5 star service, and served incredible food. Very glad we left this place, and were able to turn the day around.

1  Thank jane d
Reviewed September 18, 2012

In spite of some negative reviews found here, we went to James Bay Tea Room for brunch. I wanted the kippers and eggs. The place itself is lovely, has a nice neighborhood quality about it. But we knew almost immediately that it was not going to be special, as the waitress brought out the cheap, packaged jellies. My goodness, with the availability of wonderful, locally produced, jams, jellies and spreads, what the heck is is this? My kippers were quite good, the eggs bit overdone -- and then there's my wife's eggs benedict. My goodness, in a city where many, many cafes seem to pride themselves in offering great 'bennys', do you have know shame in serving a hollandaise out of a packaged mix?? The Horror. The muffin, not toasted; eggs overdone. It would take sooo little to make this place a gem. It boggles the mind why it won't.

2  Thank GJPort
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We loved the memorabilia of the Royal Family, from Victoria to Princes William and Harry, and even the Diamond Jubilee. The food was great - the steak and kidney pie and shrimp sandwich were great - and make sure you try the butter pies! They serve them warm and they are wonderful.

1  Thank fermata1220