“A Bit of Britian”

Ranked #229 of 1,235 Restaurants in Victoria
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: James Bay
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The James Bay Tea Room and Resturant, with its UK feel, is a comfortable stop for either lunch, a quick snack or traditional afternoon tea.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Early on Sunday morning we walked from the Inner Harbour to Beacon Hill Park (several km!) On the way back we were starving and found this little place. The inside is full of old 'royal' photos and souvenirs, and old English knick-knacks.. very interesting.
I had the West Coast Eggs Benny which I agree was a bit cheaply prepared (pink salmon, sauce from packet, etc), but my husband had the High Tea, complete with the crumpet, scone, etc. He loved it and had no complaints.
If you're not too critical (or snobby), you won't be disappointed. A very happy atmosphere :-)

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I am British having recently moved to Vancouver from the UK, I was therefore looking forward to visiting the "British" Victoria and having traditional high tea. Oh how I was extremely disappointed! The decor was nice enough and the staff attentive but that did not save it from the terrible (and overpriced) high tea.

The scones were tiny, there was not even whipped cream (let alone clotted cream) and the jam was Kraft packed! All the small cakes and nibbles were blatantly store bought, and the "fresh fruit salad" came straight out of the can. I did not have massively high standards as I know this is Canada, but I did feel deceived by the menu implying that everything would be fresh and home made.

Next time I am in Victoria I will go to the Empress and get the real deal, my advice is to steer clear of this place if you want proper British high tea.

1  Thank Dom K
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

The decor of this tea room (fake Tiffany lamps and polyester tablecloths) have not been updated since Charles and Di walked down the aisle. Earlier reports of store-bought food and frazzled service are accurate.

1  Thank PDXTraveler120
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a great quant place that had lots of English history. Everything from traditional “American” breakfasts to English fare and of course scones.
My only comment is they don’t serve “homemade” jam or preserves. Kind of disappointing as this is the sort of place you would think would.

It is equally good for families or couples.

I think their afternoon Tea service would be a great pick me up