“Effortless”

Ranked #97 of 1,262 Restaurants in Victoria
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at the foot of downtown Victoria's historic Chinatown, CANOE features waterfront patios and the best western exposure along Victoria's Inner Harbour. Come down to CANOE for great handcrafted beer, real food made with care and live music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. With a pub, a lounge, a dining room, patios, knowledgeable staff and free parking, it's a perfect place to share good times with friends and family of all ages! The timeless waterfront location, soaring timber frame and rustic brick architecture at CANOE create a vibrant and versatile atmosphere for gatherings large or small. Reservations and families are welcome in the restaurant area.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our company went on an organized pub crawl and Canoe Club was the first stop. Didn't start well, see, to sign up for the crawl you need at least a dozen people but when you get to Canoe Club they don't want to seat that many. They first tried to get 14 of us around a small picnic table that would be cramped with half that many people. There were scores of empty tables all around us and throughout the patio area. We ordered appetizers and drinks, the appetizers coming long before he drinks arrived, which was a long long time. Many of us noted that as our stay progressed and more and more food was ordered that the portions of things like calamari became progressively smaller. When it came the to get going to the next stop, we were handed our respective bills. No real surprises except they of course added a generous 17% to each one and naturally tipped themselves on the tax portion as well which could not be more petty and frankly unethical.

Bottom line: didn't want to seat us, didn't want to serve us, but couldn't get enough of our pretty money. We all laughed it off, but there's a dozen more people who just had their last meal at Canoe Club

2  Thank HavanaBob

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Enjoyed a nice lunch after arriving in Victoria and really liked the fish n chips. Sitting out on the deck was nice and relaxing after a long ride on the Clipper Ferry.

1  Thank Boston09_11
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I found this pub by error and returned for our evening meal on Canada Day. We didn't have to wait long for a table outside on a beautiful evening. With it being Canada Day it was very busy with groups but we were served quickly and efficiently by Jennifer. I had a lovely pork chop with beautiful sauces and my wife had a really good steak. The beer was good and when I ordered a different pint for my second one, Jennifer delivered it, followed by another one a few minutes later with the admission she had bought the one type previously and this was a free pint of the correct type. Cannot get much fairer than that.

As to peoples comments on prices, I found Canoe no different to many other places we ate in with mains varying between $15 and $25 (plus the bl..dy taxes of course) but is was one of the top three meal we had in three weeks and the beer was great too.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Caneo, hands down, has the best patio in town. It is big (in a good way), beautiful, and vibrant. Even though the view across the upper harbour is partially of industrial areas, it is still a wonderful scene.
The food was delicious and the booze was very nice.
Where Canoe faltered, at least the last time I visited, was in the service. Our table was just slightly tucked away and we were forgotten about more than once. We had 4 young children with us which made the slow service all the more unbearable, due to them getting restless.
I can think of better place in town (in terms of food) for roughly the same price point, but none offer the same total package as Canoe Brewpub.
I recommend you go.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've gone to this restaurant two times in the last months (I live in Victoria). It is nothing but a tourist trap, high prices and 17% gratuity on a $5 cup of soup(I couldn't make myself pay $20 for a piece of fish and some fries) ,even as a group there shouldn't be 17% on soup! The waiters are rude and always rushing around and fail to properly place your orders. We had an australian waiter trying to teach a french major how to pronounce a french menu item, repeating the way he was taught to say it and going "say it with me..." we are not 7 years old and don't need to be taught how to say a menu item. Just do your job and bring us our food. When asked about a light beer the waiter answered and when replied with a friendly "ok", the waiter just turned around and walked away, we were unsure if we had placed an order(we apparently did not). The time we had gone before this, we had dressed up and no one would acknowledge us, we managed to stop someone and asked if there was seating to the left of the restaurant.. "no", is there seating upstairs..? "no.." we'll where is there seating(and why was no one trying to seat us)? We eventually got seated beside some drunk teens in the corner who were running around like idiots (we just got up and left). This is a "brewpub" but more of a restaurant with high end prices, and really crummy service and options. The waiters are more worried about the look of their hair and being trendy than doing their job. The food was just ok, they think of themselves as top notch. I've had enough of trying to give this place a chance. Go to nautical nellies instead, they have a higher quality of food/service, and the prices are almost par.

2  Thank 1mts
CanoeBrewpub450, General Manager at Canoe Brewpub, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Hi there,

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience with us at Canoe Brewpub. Our aim is for every one who comes here to be treated with respect, served above and beyond and to be satisfied with their experience. Our servers are eclectic and each have their own unique personality but should never belittle patrons. I can speak for the 17% gratuity, which was added to your bill because you were with a large party, it is our policy to apply it to all patrons of the group. I would very much like to personally get in touch with you and see how we can rectify the situation- please contact me at: scottr@canoebrewpub.com so that Canoe can improve and prevent these situations from happening in the future.

Scott R. General Manager.