“Great food great service”
Review of Cafe Mexico

Cafe Mexico
Ranked #237 of 1,204 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food great service”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a really good experience here. The waitress was very good friendly and efficient. The food was really delicious, they do two serving sizes the small one was perfect for me, my husband had the large portion and it was probably just a little too much. Good value for money. The restaurant had a really good atmosphere. Would recommend if you like Mexican food.

• Visited September 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Utterly Disappointing Customer Service”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It would be nice if Yelp would let me leave a review without choosing a number of stars with which to rate a business. I can't fairly review Cafe Mexico without having eaten here, but I do wish to share my recent experience.

I visited Victoria over the Labour Day long weekend with my fiance, aunt, uncle and cousins. We were also traveling with our dog, so dining out was't an option thanks to BC's archaic laws concerning dogs on patios. (You're dining outdoors. What's to stop a pidgeon from pooping in your pilsner? That's another argument for another day.)

All that said, most of the weekend we opted for food trucks and take-out when we weren't enjoying room service. Victoria is filled with sunny spots to eat take-out outdoors.

My aunt and uncle had visited Cafe Mexico in the past and raved about the food. All of us are huge fans of Mexican food so we all stopped by Cafe Mexico on our last evening in Victoria to place a take-out order. When we arrived, I read over the outside menu and was enchanted by the colourful decor and Mexican music coming out of the restaurant. Being that our dog was with us, most of us waited outside far from the entrance and away from the patio area while my fiance and aunt went inside to place our take-out order. They were curtly and simply informed that "we're too busy for take-out and you can't be here with that dog."

Had the host or manager or whomever simply apologized and *kindly* informed us that they were too busy and offered an alternate place to get food, I would have no issue with Cafe Mexico.

Here's my point: I get it. Times get busy and sometimes restaurants can be a bit under-staffed. However, when a business is in the business of customer service, building good relationships with your customers and your *potential* customers is paramount to survival. We are one family that walked away, took our dollars elsewhere and won't be back.

• Visited September 2013
Vancouver
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful meal and service. Had the combo chimi and enchilada. Both tasted great with large portions. Pretty reasonable. Loved the dressing on the salad. A bit off the inner harbour core but worth the trek.

• Visited August 2013
Humboldt, Canada
“Delicious!!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great Mexican food, large servings! There is a restaurant side and a cafe side which was quick. Would highly recommend this place to eat.

• Visited August 2013
Fremont, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am in California and I have Mexican at least once a week. Because of my addiction, I have had Mexican food in many odd places. I have had Mexican food in Spain. I have Mexican food at what seemed like a French Mexican chain that resulted in some sort of Salad burritos. I have had Mexican in places in the US where I knew it would be bad, but I was so desperate for a burrito I ate there anyway.

But Canadian Mexican, (aside from California Mexican food) was my favorite by far. This place is wonderful. Everything was good. I think I had shrimp tacos. the beans were good. The Salsa tasted like garlicy heaven. The fried ice cream was...delicious. I ate it all. And my waitress was super helpful and nice and even directed me to some really amazing local tourist destinations. If you are jonesing for Mexican in Victoria, this place is it.

• Visited July 2013