“Still no change, great food, great staff, good value,”
Review of Cafe Brio

Cafe Brio
Ranked #8 of 1,209 Restaurants in Victoria
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Harris Green
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have eaten here several times since the last review but again it really stands out. The food is terrific. It varies enough that I don't tire of going. The staff, particularly the owner, are really nice. The setting is lovely, warm and intimate. The wine list is good. This time I had the ravioloi starter, my wife had the cesar and my daughter the sweet potatoe soup. They were all great. We each had half portion dinners, more than enough. I had the chicken, very tasty, with risotto. My daughter had the steak, excellent. My wife had the penne, superb (so much so she overate, uncharacteristic). For desert we had 2 of the sticky puddings, really big and wonderful. Overall a great experience

There are newer reviews for Cafe Brio

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The restaurant is set in a big Italian villa styled room with a large open bar. The welcome was friendly and we quickly had a menu to look at.

One notable feature is that the restaurant offers full or half sized portions. I found this a practical way to try more things, but is also good for smaller appetites.

The decorative artwork on the walls is all for sale so you also take a look at that

When we'd decide on drinks and food we were brought some organic bread and butter to munch on while we waited for our opening dishes.

We started with a romaine salad with goat cheese and a halibut with veg and accompanying dill beurre blanc sauce. The fish had a great crisp top and the plate came together nicely. Unfortunately our accompanying salad had an overpoweringly strong vinaigrette.

Our following courses included albacore tuna, slow cooked braised pork, and roasted duck breast.

The tuna was cooked perfectly and the accompanying jus was absolutely lovely; vegetables and mash completed the dish. The pork and duck were just as tasty, with a preference for the pork.

Tasting plate for dessert had three elements and was a great away to seal the meal.

The restaurant prides itself on locally sourced ingredients cooked simply to highlight the quality of the product. The goal is met, all the ingredients were fresh, perfectly cooked and tasty, though sometimes I feel the vegetable were a bit lost on the plate and could be elevated to something more special.

Service was friendly though a bit slow. I also don't really take for under lit restaurants, I somehow like to be able to properly see what I am about to eat. The lovely artwork which is on sale would also benefit from more lighting.

Good evening out, good food and an enjoyable moment.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I eat here three times a year, when I pilgrimage to Victoria for two things: the opera and Cafe Brio. We have never had less than a superb meal, and usually at least one dish will be world class. (If you haven't read my other review of Brio, my credentials are trips to France once or twice a year in the '70s and '80s to try all the three-star Michelin restaurants and all the one- and two star restaurants we could cram in. Plus all other sorts of fine food experiences.)
This last time the sable fish was beyond belief, definitely world class, the duck breast superb, and the semifreddo decadent. Message to people who wrote the review that complained about small portions: you need more experience with fine cuisine. The portions are not small, they just aren't intended for people who are stoking up for a marathon, or who expect heaping portions of salt, fat or sugar. The food here is to please your palate, not to stuff yourself. My son-in-law, nearly 6 feet tall, whose occupation is very physical, is usually extremely full at the end of a Brio meal.
I have doubts also about the reviewer who says the menu was limited -- impossible -- and that items were sold out . No matter who joins me at Brio, they and I are in agony because there are too many choices. I've never experienced being told a dish was sold out, but if I were, I'd merely switch to one of the other choices I had in mind. Did this reviewer have the correct restaurant?
A word on the wine list: Brio stocks the best in B.C. wine -- and you should consult with your server to choose a bottle. This is a golden opportunity -- take it. Go to France if you want French wine. Brasserie L'Ecole has only run-of-the-mill B.C. wines and third rate French wines -- at pretty much the same price you'll pay at Brio for a superb wine from mainland B.C.
At Brio, it pays to think about what you order, and to think some more when you're eating it. Yes, Brio has great atmosphere for special occasions, but if you don't pay attention to what you're tasting, you'll miss out on a fabulous experience. (And I have to wait until February for my next Brio "fix".)

1  Thank edradour36
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I had gone here during dine around last spring so when looking for a place for dinner with the family we decided to come back. I had the Halibut and for dessert Sticky toffee pudding. I really enjoyed both. Service was excellent as we were a table of 8. I like a place that's quiet enough to visit as Cafe Brio is. Will come back.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Café Brio offers very good food and service to match. We started with a very flavorful local corn soup with scallops. Our mains of pan-seared salmon were expertly prepared. The vanilla crème brulee was definitely one of the best we’ve ever had. Overall, our dining experience was very good although we felt the room could be improved with a warmer and more welcoming ambiance.